Questions for very active day traders on NYSE

loogling

Could someone please help me out with these questions? (I'm a new trader who started trading NYSE stocks with a retail broker in the middle of last year.)

1. TRF Volume!
Volume executed on alternative trading systems are required to be reported to the Trade Reporting Facility within 90 sec. Each day, about 30% of the total Tape A volume gets reported there. (http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=FullVolumeSummary) Meanwhile, volume from dark pools are estimated, by Rosenblatt Securities for example, to make up about 10-15% of the total volume executed. So I'm wondering where the remaining 15-20% of TRF volume is coming from. Is it coming from internalized matches of broker/dealers? But wouldn't this be done in dark pools? Is there something that I don't understand about the TRF number?

2. Execution speed for limit order!
For high volume stocks, the speed for executing market order isn't a big concern. But when it comes to limit order, getting filled quickly on a retail platform can be difficult. I realize that prop traders can cut in front of the line with their access to NYSE floor brokers and unfair subpenny hidden orders/midpoint orders that retails traders have no access to. Nevertheless, are there someone out there, perhaps knowledgeable prop traders, with experience with different retail routings? Under the SEC 606 disclosure, for example, TD Ameritrade sends a big chunk of their non-directed limit orders to Citadel Execution Services. Schwab, on the other hand, send theirs to UBS Securities Market Making unit. There are also brokers who send to Automated Trading Desk (ATD). The question is with high volume stocks which of these market makers provide the fastest limit order execution?

3. Best broker or prop firm? "Best" for me would mean fast limit order execution with low commission structure. It's unfortunate that retail brokers don't connect their customers with EDGA routing which would probably be very fast in certain curcumstances. Any retails brokers out there that do? Most or all prop firms likely will have EDGA, but from checking out a number of prop places by phone, the average cost per share isn't that much cheaper from what I'm currently paying. Prop access to dark pools are beneficial, but those dark pool routes seem to cost a lot of money too. I execute over 10 millions NYSE shares per month and the average cost per 1000 shares comes out to be around $1.20-1.25. Any suggestions here?

Thank you for any inputs.

Could someone please help me out with these questions? (I'm a new trader who started trading NYSE stocks with a retail broker in the middle of last year.)

1. TRF Volume!
Volume executed on alternative trading systems are required to be reported to the Trade Reporting Facility within 90 sec. Each day, about 30% of the total Tape A volume gets reported there. (http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/trader.aspx?id=FullVolumeSummary) Meanwhile, volume from dark pools are estimated, by Rosenblatt Securities for example, to make up about 10-15% of the total volume executed. So I'm wondering where the remaining 15-20% of TRF volume is coming from. Is it coming from internalized matches of broker/dealers? But wouldn't this be done in dark pools? Is there something that I don't understand about the TRF number?

2. Execution speed for limit order!
For high volume stocks, the speed for executing market order isn't a big concern. But when it comes to limit order, getting filled quickly on a retail platform can be difficult. I realize that prop traders can cut in front of the line with their access to NYSE floor brokers and unfair subpenny hidden orders/midpoint orders that retails traders have no access to. Nevertheless, are there someone out there, perhaps knowledgeable prop traders, with experience with different retail routings? Under the SEC 606 disclosure, for example, TD Ameritrade sends a big chunk of their non-directed limit orders to Citadel Execution Services. Schwab, on the other hand, send theirs to UBS Securities Market Making unit. There are also brokers who send to Automated Trading Desk (ATD). The question is with high volume stocks which of these market makers provide the fastest limit order execution?

3. Best broker or prop firm? "Best" for me would mean fast limit order execution with low commission structure. It's unfortunate that retail brokers don't connect their customers with EDGA routing which would probably be very fast in certain curcumstances. Any retails brokers out there that do? Most or all prop firms likely will have EDGA, but from checking out a number of prop places by phone, the average cost per share isn't that much cheaper from what I'm currently paying. Prop access to dark pools are beneficial, but those dark pool routes seem to cost a lot of money too. I execute over 10 millions NYSE shares per month and the average cost per 1000 shares comes out to be around $1.20-1.25. Any suggestions here?

Thank you for any inputs.

I am not going to answer all those questions but i will say the prop firm i am with will start you on $0.70 per 1000 shares and give you access to all those routes you mentioned including the NySE floor routes. Full pass through on all enc rebates.

Contact me for more details

I'm good. Hope you are well to. Trading is very good.

We should go for a drink some time. I'll give you a shout next time i have a traders meeting if your interested.

I am not going to answer all those questions but i will say the prop firm i am with will start you on $0.70 per 1000 shares and give you access to all those routes you mentioned including the NySE floor routes. Full pass through on all enc rebates.

Contact me for more details

With regard to prop firm, I haven't come across any that has direct connections to ATD, Citadel, or other market makers like UBS and Wedbush. Most market makers prefer institutional and retail order flows rather than prop flows. Many prop firms however have connections to CrossFinder, Level, KnightMatch, etc., but aside from CrossFinder the dark pools in the prop list aren't very good ones. The ones that would be more desirable are KnightLink (rather than KnightMatch), SigmaX, and Citi Match. That's just my opinion.

In terms of commission, there are firms that charge $0.20 per 1000 with 70/30 split. To pay $0.70, the benefits need to outweigh the costs. For example, connections to the specific gateways above and better profit split. A closer estimate of my monthly volume is 15 million shares.

on that volume with us you would be on $0.50 which is our lowest tier. We can get any/all routes. We have UBS. Our profit splits range from 70/30 - 90/10 depending on the vol and profit you do.

I have read the question and the answer as well and i am of the view that the discussion is very fruitful and the beginners have much opportunity to get much needed knowledge.