prop trading

derekli

some big banks are shutting down/shrinking their prop trading desk. what is happening to independent prop trading firms then?

my understanding of the difference between prop shops and hedge funds is that prop shops use their own money, but hedge funds use investors'. Any other differences? Many high-profile HF made big loss last year. How about prop trading firms?

Thanks,
Derek

size and scaleability of strategies is probably the most important difference

The i-banks obviously have far less appetite for risk at the moment, and since most of them consider their prop desks to be their 'riskiest' arms, they are among the first to see the axe. As arabian says, pure prop firms are either doing well, or they're not, same as always. Traders want volatility, and there's certainly been a decent amount of that in the past 12 months.

If you have say 2 years work experience as a prop trader at a prop house, do many banks consider you for their prop desks?

To me, it seems that most investment banks hire internally for their prop desks. (or by word of mouth)

is it easier for a prop trader to go from a prop house to a HF rather than a prop house to a IB?

If you have say 2 years work experience as a prop trader at a prop house, do many banks consider you for their prop desks?

To me, it seems that most investment banks hire internally for their prop desks. (or by word of mouth)

is it easier for a prop trader to go from a prop house to a HF rather than a prop house to a IB?

why would anyone want to work on a prop desk in a bank??? thats if they have one.......

Significantly easier (not to suggest it's at all easy mind), although toss a coin for whether the former will exist and whether the latter will have prop desks in two years time...

Significantly easier (not to suggest it's at all easy mind), although toss a coin for whether the former will exist and whether the latter will have prop desks in two years time...

Arabian you're such a doom merchant... not to mention a turd burglar