Prop trading or Investment Bank

If it's economics, go to LSE.

Alternatively go to Cambridge to do Maths and then switch to Economics if you find the former too hard.

If you can get a Maths degree from Cambridge (especially if you do part III) you've probably done the hardest undergraduate degree in the world... and IB recruiters will know that if that's the route you decide to go down.

LSE supposedly do not like taking on people from private schools. However in regards to what you said arabianights, i do not think I could do a maths degree at cambridge. I am going to do double maths at a level but I feel I wouldnpt be suited to 3/4 years of maths. economics is what i am going for. Is that a fatal error? can you switch like that?

Yeah, switching is one of the advantages of the Cambridge system... it's pretty much possible to change from anything to anything else (some arcane regulations about this I can't remember do exist). Nothing wrong with economics at Cambridge but it's worth mentioning that economics there is fairly mathematical in nature I think compared to other economics courses.

Doubt LSE would have a problem with the privately educated? Could be wrong.

Masquerade did economics though so he knows more about this than me.

LSE supposedly do not like taking on people from private schools. ?

I don't know where you got that idea, there are many private school kids at the LSE (me being one of them)...There is, however, a marked preference for international students - something about the UK govt being unreliable with fees or something.

As far as choosing between the LSE and Cambridge, look at the ways of life at the 2 unis and the course content, and choose whatever appeals to you more (city v. country). In terms of reputation there isn't really any difference unless you plan on working abroad in a place that has only ever heard of Ox/Cam.

IMO the LSE course is more mathematical, and lets you take modules at other colleges, say SOAS, which can keep things more interesting than your usual mind numbing straight econ classes.

When the time comes, apply to both, wait for offers and then make a decision.

Chocolate, LSE was something i was considering before i went to the universities advisor at school. LSE seems like a fantastic place, and I would still love to go there. It was probably the view of that one teacher that has made me shun it, but i will stick to my guns and i will apply to LSE when it comes round to it. Arbaianights the reason I am intending to go for the eco course at cambridge is due to its strength in maths. this is also why i have decided against oxford. Chocolate what did you do at a A level. I have chosen Maths, Further Maths, Ecnomics is that sensible? masquerdae where did you go to do eco

Is there anyone here who did University English i am struggling to understand a poem :D

No one here is going to do your homework ;)

Rule of thumb, not always true: If your schools careers advisor knew anything about careers then he wouldn't be a careers advisor.

Yea that's a good subject choice; I did the IB not A levels.

I second your opinion of econ at Oxford, imo it's terrible. If you have good GCSEs and AS you will likely get a conditional offer from the LSE as a matter of course, Cambridge will be slightly harder. Best of luck either way.

Another question. How is cass business school regarded in the city. Some of thier undergrad programmes seem interesting (see below). This academically is easier to get into , and i am considering having it as my security.

BSc Actuarial Science
Involves the application of quantitative skills to problems that normally involve risk or uncertainty, together with finance.

BSc Banking and International Finance
Equips you with the academic knowledge to operate in the increasingly competitive world of financial markets.

BSc Business Studies
Equips you with the broad-based knowledge, skills and training for a career in the global business world.

BSc Investment and Financial Risk Management
This degree fully prepares you to become a competent manager, trader or analyst in any area of finance.

BSc Management
Focuses on management science and systems science, which are structured approaches to problem solving that reflect the speed of change in business today.

BSc Risk Analysis and Insurance

This degree focuses on the interplay between insurance, risk analysis and financial services.

BSc Real Estate Finance and Investment
This programme examines modern real estate markets, places them in a wider business context, and equips you with a solid knowledge of the principles and applications of real estate investment techniques.

What did you get at GCSEs. I have dun maths and science a year early and got A*s. I am in the process of doing my other ones now. Is there a cut off point for LSE for GCSE requirement. Like a certain number of A*s??

Cass has a pretty good rep, good for an insurance choice (I would not do Business Studies though).

I'm not sure what their official line is on GCSEs, or if they have one, but people have strings of A*s generally, especially for econ. I was at school overseas so my middle school grades did not come into play at all for my undergrad app.

You may be right, my opinion on GCSEs is based on what the UK schooled kids have been telling me, like I said they meant nothing w/r to my own app.

But surely for university GCSEs is a a good indicator to your academic perferomance, considering you have not yet finished your a levels when applying?.....