Private Journals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest, which group are you referring to have the brains that the other group is missing. Also, does having multiple nicks give you any credibility at all?

what point are you trying to make here. I was referring to the obvious nagging and name calling. here you are, trying to hide who you really are through another nick, assuming you have brains as you bias yourself to a side that spends their day mucking about making jokes about other people. If you had any brains at all you wouldn't hide behind something that allows you to easily slip back into whoever you are unnoticed, and structure your arguments effectively. Trying to pick out something i said in reference to the obvious nagging and then twist it as though i am one of you lot is laughable if it were not so sad. Is this what this forum as become - people not man enough to say it without hiding and spending their time twisting and joking about. Perhaps T2W should ask for peoples drivers licenses before joining to prove they aren't attending junior school.

When you say nagging and name-calling it is not clear to whom you are referring to ? Isn't it nagging to keep repeating the same stuff over and over again for years like F does ? Isn't it name calling to call a wide group of members : dissers and haters , half inch smelly small todger .. etc etc .

When you say nagging and name-calling it is not clear to whom you are referring to ? Isn't it nagging to keep repeating the same stuff over and over again for years like F does ? Isn't it name calling to call a wide group of members : dissers and haters , half inch smelly small todger .. etc etc .

i am referring to both sides. This included the broken record problem with members regurgitating the same lines over and over.This includes members using names and contexts which directly reflect specific members but is massaged in a format that seems acceptable by the mods. Both sides have points, both sides are certainly entertaining i am not forgetting this as i have laughed at some comments made from both. We are all adults here, at least one can hope we all are. Why is it necessary to act like children.

As a bystander with no prejudice for either side. Don't you think it's an individuals right to have a private area to reflect on their trading. It's not like the entire forum is locked down so I really don't see the point in all this other than to unlock those threads so the arguments and bashing can resume.
Like everything in society there are people you get along with, people you avoid, people you have to accept due to circumstances, and people you want to be around. How is this forum any different?
Why don't you just be frank and say what you really mean and by that I mean you want to contribute to threads which home individuals you don't like. One can only question your intentions as it is clear they won't be of a positive nature.

I am not trying to be offensive to anyone but I am rather bored and this continuous effort to remove individuals from the forum. Anyone could assume therefore that this forum is merely a privileged boys club that has a hidden membership rulset.

My vote is to leave it as is and let people be. You don't have to communicate with anyone you don't like but just because you don't like or respect them, doesn't give you a right to be judge jury and executioner.

Great post. I especially like that part in blue. (y)

The mods already banned members from both sides - for this and other things - ... one can express his opinion within site guidelines no need to call others : dissers , haters .. etc .

Really? Just look at the capitalism thread.

This tops the list of amusing things that someone said to me, which had absolutely no bearing upon the conversation.

If you are old and frail don't go to capitalist havens like Newport Beach, 'cos if you do and happen to fall over, hhiusa's buddies are more likely to step over you than waste a buck calling an ambulance. Hhiusa would from what he says probably not bother to even lift his leg to step over you . He might to pee on ya though if you look sort of poor. ( I haven't forgotten that US citizens have the dubious distinction of topping the list of Nationalities peeing in the hotel pool.)

Really? Just look at the capitalism thread.

This tops the list of amusing things that someone said to me, which had absolutely no bearing upon the conversation.

You have to report the post as mods don't really read everything ...

We'll we've had completely private journals, completely public journals, and now we have a compromise where the journal starter gets to choose. I think it's a fair compromise. We may it ultra clear at the top of every journal, that it could be restricted so that's completely transparent. We're not going to please everyone, all the time, but on balance I think more people are fine with it than aren't. So that's good enough for me. If you object to a journal and not having the ability to reply, just ignore it, don't read it. If you think it some how breaks the site rules, then you can still report it and we'll take a look as always.

We'll we've had completely private journals, completely public journals, and now we have a compromise where the journal starter gets to choose. I think it's a fair compromise. We may it ultra clear at the top of every journal, that it could be restricted so that's completely transparent. We're not going to please everyone, all the time, but on balance I think more people are fine with it than aren't. So that's good enough for me. If you object to a journal and not having the ability to reply, just ignore it, don't read it. If you think it some how breaks the site rules, then you can still report it and we'll take a look as always.

On a related topic, I want you to know how much I appreciate being able to ignore not only threads but entire forums. One of the biggest issues I've had with trading forums since the Motley Fool days is navigation. Simply finding what is of interest can be so daunting as to be defeating. Why patronize a site where it's next to impossible to find what one wants?

Db

On a related topic, I want you to know how much I appreciate being able to ignore not only threads but entire forums. One of the biggest issues I've had with trading forums since the Motley Fool days is navigation. Simply finding what is of interest can be so daunting as to be defeating. Why patronize a site where it's next to impossible to find what one wants?

Db

Actually, you can do just that. We have the option to ignore members, threads and forums already in place.

See the screenshots attached to give you some idea how it's done. Basically you can choose to ignore members, threads and forums from within the context of the forum as you're browsing, clicking the poster's username, or clicking Thread of Forum Tools. Then once ignored you can manage those ignored items from your Settings page here: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/usercp.php - there's a section at the bottom left column to manage threads and forums, and another further up to managed ignored members. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Trade2Win Forums - User Control Panel.jpg
    Trade2Win Forums - User Control Panel.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,075
  • Trade2Win Forums - Edit Ignore List.jpg
    Trade2Win Forums - Edit Ignore List.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Market Profile - Daily updates-1.jpg
    Market Profile - Daily updates-1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 218
  • Can You Recommend a Mentor, Coach or Trading Course? - Page 2-1.jpg
    Can You Recommend a Mentor, Coach or Trading Course? - Page 2-1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 212
  • New to Trade2Win.jpg
    New to Trade2Win.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 210
Actually, you can do just that. We have the option to ignore members, threads and forums already in place.

That's what I meant: I appreciate being able to do that here. I wasn't clear.

But your post will be helpful to those who didn't know that this option is available.

Db

Yeah, I have to admit, I'd forgotten all about it and was just about to write, it's unfortunate we don't have that. LOL

quote "I haven't forgotten that US citizens have the dubious distinction of topping the list of Nationalities peeing in the hotel pool." end quote

Americans are so open, actually admitting to that.....maybe other nationalities just don't admit to peeing in hotel pools. But Americans pee on everyone and everything all the time anyway don't they...at least according to Russia Today (a TV station) and Press TV (Iranian).
Maybe they provided the pee poll for political popularity for their populace.

PS The quote is from post 25 on this thread :)

Last edited:
The options - as I see them - are threefold:

1. Do nothing, i.e. leave everything as it is.
2. Scrap the moderation permissions allowed for threads started in the Journals forum. (In other words, it's the same as starting any other thread in any other forum.)
3. Amend the moderation permissions allowed for threads started in the Journals forum.

May I respectfully suggest another? ...

4. Amend the forum-wide moderation policies and practices so as to remove in the first place the problem (among many others) that caused the situation this thread was started to discuss/resolve?

This thread - like some others - is about papering over the cracks in that it addresses a specific, local issue which has arisen only because of a much wider, more profound and more damaging problem continually being ignored.

This conversation is about the effects rather than about the causes.

It's trying to alleviate the side-effects of the patient's medication by changing the prescription rather than by appreciating that the entire diagnosis may be misguided in the first place. All the members who've left and/or stopped contributing appreciate that, but it seems that it's less clear, for some reason, to the forum's management.

Hi Alexa,
May I respectfully suggest another? ...

4. Amend the forum-wide moderation policies and practices so as to remove in the first place the problem (among many others) that caused the situation this thread was started to discuss/resolve?
Which moderation policies and practices would they be?

This thread - like some others - is about papering over the cracks in that it addresses a specific, local issue which has arisen only because of a much wider, more profound and more damaging problem continually being ignored.
Are you referring to the moderation policies and practices again?

This conversation is about the effects rather than about the causes.
By chance, are you on about the moderation policies and practices again - or something else?
:p

It's trying to alleviate the side-effects of the patient's medication by changing the prescription rather than by appreciating that the entire diagnosis may be misguided in the first place. All the members who've left and/or stopped contributing appreciate that, but it seems that it's less clear, for some reason, to the forum's management.
Well, the nature of democracy is that there's nearly always someone - or a group of people - who are unhappy. Often as not they are the most vociferous. One only has to look at the recent Labour leader election to witness that. Perhaps you and this silent body of members who's views are not aired but appear to have your ear are a part of this minority.

We are always happy to review existing moderation policies and practices to see if they can be improved for the benefit of the site as a whole and all its members. Indeed, when Steve was CEO two years ago, he did exactly this, completely revamping them to create the new Community Constitution.
Tim.

I think the mods do a great job. Bearing in mind all the stick and general whining they have to put with, nearly qualifies them for saint status imo.
My vote is to leave to as is (y)(y)

Which moderation policies and practices would they be?

The missing ones, mostly: "no promotional posting" and "no hostility or rudeness". You know the ones - the ones that other forums have such little difficulty enforcing, compared with this place - the ones whose absence here so many former members have offered (so openly and so regularly, both here and elsewhere) as the primary reasons for their departure and/or cessation of contributions here. :)

Well, the nature of democracy is that there's nearly always someone - or a group of people - who are unhappy.

Yes; this is so. And the same's true in places like this one that aren't really democracies, and perhaps shouldn't pretend to be.

I have no problem at all with the people who are here for primarily promotional reasons and the people who are hostile and rude not being happy. And neither does anyone else you should be wanting to keep as active members.

You've read for yourself what some of the site's former moderators say about the policies and procedures under which they have to operate.

Often as not they are the most vociferous.

Often, yes. Not this time, though. Here, they're the "silent majority", who have become silent by leaving and going off to other forums where they happily post without promotion or rudeness, and prefer the atmosphere there, and they say so openly, and explain why.

As you and I have discussed before, some of those forums, which have started off much more recently than this one, have ten times the active membership and ten times the posting volumes of this one; and if you discount the current threads directly related to one specific hyperactive member here, probably twenty times the active membership and posting volumes.

This place is a shadow of its former self, while some of its more recent competitors are flourishing and expanding. And the material thing they do differently is so simple and straightforward: they don't allow promotional posting and they don't allow rudeness and hostility.

However much people here like to pretend that it's all terribly subjective and difficult and judgement-based, and that you can't please everyone, and all those other trite old excuses, it's actually dead easy and some of your competitors are effortlessly demonstrating that on a daily basis.

when Steve was CEO two years ago, he did exactly this, completely revamping them to create the new Community Constitution.

Ah yes ... the Community Constitution. At the risk of sounding like a Dr. Phil impersonator, "how's that working out for you?!" :eek: :whistling

I think the mods do a great job.

Nobody's criticising the moderators, here.

I'm not blaming them at all. Not in private and not in public. They do what they can within a framework that simply doesn't work at all, and can't, for the glaringly obvious reasons explained in this post and in this post and in 100 others like them, in other threads.

And they're even among the people pointing out that it doesn't work. If you don't believe me, ask Charlie (ffsear), who has recently given up his role as a moderator, what he thinks. I think you'll agree that there couldn't be a much more authoritative voice on this subject than his? (Edited to add: actually you don't even need to ask him what he thinks: he's posted it already, right here, in the same thread that I linked to, just above. ;) )

Last edited:
Just to be clear yes BMT forum is higher quality than T2W hands down , but it is still a forum full of vendors , closet vendors and ads .

Status
Not open for further replies.