Pretium Securities

Masquerade

A few weeks back I got a call from a company called Pretium Securities. I'd never heard of them and wasn't sure how they got my number. I spoke to the guy and it turns out they're a sub-group of IG and they're advisory CFD people. The guy seemed pretty eager to do business and i'm not interested and after telling him, he was persistent enough I gave him a fake address.

I got a call back today to see what I thought and I made something up as I hadn't seen the trades and he's telling me about they've made 15% this week and they're doing great and all I need to do is start off with a paltry £10k, £15k is better and see how they do and I can take it out any time I like. The money is held in IG so it's safe as houses etc. Here's their site:

Pretium Securities - The UK's leading advisory CFD Broker _ Contract for differences (CFDs) _ CFDs _ CFD _ Margin Trading _ Online Trading _ Telephone broker service _ CFD Research Reports _ Stock Makret Research Reports _ trading tips _ FOREX, Forei

I'm not interested in it, i'm not trying to plug these guys as I had no idea about them but I don't know why they called me and I was wondering whether anyone else has had IG pass on their details to these guys.

they seems are properly registered company thou. probably they are just new capital company looking for investor

FSA Register

if you look carefully at the bottom, there is a note "Unable to hold client money" that means you shouldnt send them any money. but can open your own account at igmarket, & let them trade for you.

Hi just thought I'd let you know that I got a call from them about six months ago and was sceptical at first. I did demo trade their recomendations for about six weeks and was impressed.
I checked them out thoroughly then decided to give them a try.
I deposited five thousand into my ig account and filled in the forms to allow them acess to trade on my behalf.
As it turns out it was a good move, my account is now worth almost sixteen thousand pounds now.
Not too bad in such a short timeframe.
Check them out for yourself, let me know how it goes.
cheers
glen...:D

Last edited:
Hi just thought I'd let you know that I got a call from them about s months ago and was sceptical at first. I did demo trade their recomendations for about sex weeks and was impressed.
I checked them out thoroughly then decided to give them a try.
I deposited five thousand into my ig account and filled in the forms to allow them acess to trade on my behalf.
As it turns out it was a good move, my account is now worth almost sixteen thousand pounds now.
Not too bad in such a short timeframe.
Check them out for yourself, let me know how it goes.
cheers
glen...:D

Interesting, good luck with it. I gave them a fake email address so I don't even know what trades they were sending me. They were asking me for 10k over the phone and 15k for some breathing space.

Either way, I manage my own money and i'd rather it was me who lost it than some guy over the phone who i've never met.

I saw it when I was reading so it must have been at least 40 mins to change it :p

Have they been telling you their current trades lately? I'd be interested to know some of the things they've been doing if you've got access to it. What sort of daily return are you getting?

I traded with this company and lost money quickly. Beware! Rang up once and a trader couldn't understand what TA was, and that I was teaching him...

HI,

I had a call from Pretium a few weeks back and agreed to to recieve details of sample trades. They send one or two emails a day ( I still receive them although I have told them I don't want to sign up with them). The positions they take may last a half hour or several days. I have checked the trade prices immediately I recieve the email ( which is usually only a few minutes later than the time of trade). They appear to make a profit on about 80% of trades, ranging from about 1% to 3% profit.
They appear to be genuine but the expression "If something appears to be too good to be true, it probably is" keeps ringing in my ears.

Rich

I have also been called up by Pretium. They basically send an email through saying eg. go LONG Barclays right now at 165p....then they will wait till it gets to, say, 170p and send you another email saying close the trade, along with an Excel spreadsheet stating what you could have made.

I have received several trade recommendations and what they appear to be doing is declaring an outright win if something moves a tiny bit, say 5p even. The accompanying "this is what you could have made" spreadsheet shows the gain you may have gotten but on a stupid share size - tens of thousands of shares. And if it goes the other way? With such HUGE leverage, you're stuffed.

Yet as an advisory CFD provider, they don't really care as the firm will take in commission when you buy / sell, regardless of where the market goes.

I certainly won't be giving them any of my money!

I have also been called up by Pretium. They basically send an email through saying eg. go LONG Barclays right now at 165p....then they will wait till it gets to, say, 170p and send you another email saying close the trade, along with an Excel spreadsheet stating what you could have made.

Nothing like raking up those commissions :)

I also followed some of their trades. The notable points are: 1) they are scalping 2) I couldn't see any TA involved in the entries ( and the broker, although a nice guy, didn't seem to have a system for entries or stops) and 3) the profits look good but only because of the silly margin, often 5%. They do make money for you but I pulled him regarding a trade that went against him and he didn't close but left it till it came good (about 10 days), pointing out that on 5% margin you'll wipe yourself out doing that and he did own up to it - not sure his risk assessment was tried and tested and technically that's duff trading imo.

Remember the old but very true saying about managed accounts -

The best managed account is the one that will lose you the least overtime.

don't forget it and don't forget that they're gameplan is first to make money for themselves via your commissions and second to make money for you. Goal 1 will always be achieved, it's impossible for them not to make, but goal 2.............Great business (for them) if you can get it.

Yes, I have two accounts held there. Im from an F&O background so i know they dont offer options as i execute mine elsewhere.

Yes, I have two accounts held there. Im from an F&O background so i know they dont offer options as i execute mine elsewhere.

How have they been doing for you? I'm just curious, I didn't really feel that comfortable putting up that sort of cash to some guys that got my name/number off an IG list and also I gave them a fake email address so I never saw their trades :p

The pitch is a bit different. they actually show you the recommendations in real time so they can't fudge the trades. it"s more transparent than others I have seen. When I opened my accounts I explained the way I wanted thr risk/reward to work and they have stuck to my instructions. It's reasonably flexible so you can have as much input as you want. Im showing profit at the moment which obviously im happy with.

They said they'd mail me the trades as they took them and then I could check them myself before going to the next stage. I gave them a fake address so I don't really know about their trades. But what sort of % return have you seen? Do they trade according to your risk profile? Do you find they do a lot of churning just to make commission or do they really leave trades for a few days/weeks to give it a chance? What's been your biggest draw-down? Why did you decide to invest that amount of money with them - they were asking me for about £15k so i'm guessing you started with something like that if not more.