Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pin is neither here nor there for me, it is the level that interested me.

I took it, let's see what happens.

2 Excellent bull flags that gave 2 chances to get into the gbpusd move that many may have missed initially - 300 pip from the move today, not to be sniffed at!

Welcome back Omni, good to hear from you again, hope all is well?

Attachments

• gbpusd.gif
    gbpusd.gif
    74 KB · Views: 184
2 Excellent bull flags that gave 2 chances to get into the gbpusd move that many may have missed initially - 300 pip from the move today, not to be sniffed at!

Hi Grim,

Flags are great. I never used to use them but some of the pros here at my firm use them regularly. Like anything though, you have to get an edge in playing them ;)

Hi Grim,

Flags are great. I never used to use them but some of the pros here at my firm use them regularly. Like anything though, you have to get an edge in playing them ;)

Hi TD,
Agreed - the key is spotting them and playing them well as you say - I always seem to think they will be faded these days for some reason? I seem to spot a pattern and only think of fading it as opposed to playing it! I paper traded the second flag - not long till I get to resume trading properly again.

The break has been really good and has allowed me to monitor and learn from the markets without being emotionally involved; I've now internalised some of my previous flaws and I'm looking forward to getting back trading. The secret for me will be following the trend on the larger TFs and playing the pullbacks on the lower TFs, pins and patterns too!

Good trading all!

Hi TD,
Agreed - the key is spotting them and playing them well as you say - I always seem to think they will be faded these days for some reason? I seem to spot a pattern and only think of fading it as opposed to playing it! I paper traded the second flag - not long till I get to resume trading properly again.

The break has been really good and has allowed me to monitor and learn from the markets without being emotionally involved; I've now internalised some of my previous flaws and I'm looking forward to getting back trading. The secret for me will be following the trend on the larger TFs and playing the pullbacks on the lower TFs, pins and patterns too!

Good trading all!

Cool - glad to hear you are getting back on form :)

I rarely trade the trend anymore and now trade almost exclusively counter trend. There is a lot of money to be made trying to pick the highs and lows.

I was thinking only yesterday about how all the books tend to tell you to trade with the trend. I often see something written along the lines of "if you trade with the trend, the market will often bail you out if you mistime your entry"...LOL...what this means is that trading with the trend is less likely to result in your account destruction when you make the amateur mistakes like running your stops and averaging because eventually the market will come back if the longer term trend is with you.

But I find that the the counter trend moves are the most violent so I try and take these. You have to be willing to be wrong more though :)

Last edited:
Ha, Thanks for the update TD - glad to see you are trading well old chap! I think to counter-trend you need full market exposure all the time, staying in tune with your chosen market. Feeling the market is important but us 'part-timers' need to tread with care I think!!

My only counter trends are solid patterns and pins but only on the 1hr and above. I have reminded myself of your earliest mantra of 'let the market come to you'.

I've been teaching another chap out here and it's helped me a great deal in understanding where I may have been going wrong before. It's reminded me of the value of the basics. This chap has picked it up well, quite early on too. Using SR and MAs (thanks to FXMonkey) and the CCI I've been a lot more successful (on paper) than before and this chap has seen the basics, working in action; it's a rewarding experience all round!

Hi TD,
The secret for me will be following the trend on the larger TFs and playing the pullbacks on the lower TFs, pins and patterns too!

Good trading all!

Grim, Have you been reading Elder on your travels by any chance ;)

Whereabouts are you at the moment? Cold and wet here in London and so dreaming of sunnier climes

Hi Rooster, yes I have read Dr Elder, some 9 months back tho!
I've just read 2 trading psychology books; quite good, some good tips like reading out your trades aloud before entry - all to do with the different parts of the brain computing data in different ways. By reading out aloud you are able to reason better and maybe pick up any flaws that the conscious mind (thinking) may have missed!!
Currently I'm out in the middle east - due to return at end of Jan after Xmas away - can't wait!!

Cheers Grim,
All ok thanks, just got too busy with all the violent moves that were going on, had to concentrate!

Good luck for 2009.

So, this morning on GBPUSD we have a triangle forming rather than a bull flag? Anyone looking to get short or is this folly in the face of NFPs later on today? Me thinks GBP may be due a correction back to 50% fib at 1.48 region?

Yesterday (Jan 6 2009) at 16:45 Trader Dante Calls a LONG on CABLE,

his comment is short but its in BOLD as if screming at you..... get LONG this thing now.

At the time of the call the GBP/USD is 1.4900 (red dot and A in attached chart)

The time in London is now 16:50 and the price is 1.5210[/B

• For those who missed it, next time a call is posted ask the poster to clarify i.e (where do i place my STOP or where is the entry etc)...

Just to be clear no one is calling trades. This thread is about potential setups. I am pretty sure no one is giving trading advice, chances are that would be illegal and result in the very least a ban.

Even if people agree on the setup everyone will trade it differently according to their own plan. The setup is just one small element of a trade. Having said that there are people I always pay attention to and am grateful for 'alerts' on a chart that is worthy of a look at.

Also it can be useful to talk about how someone else might manage a trade but just following blindly is going to be a recipe for disaster :)

Last edited:
2 pins in 3 days!

Has anyone seen this before?

Both conform to fib levels. I would tend to say that the high dominates since there are 2 untested breakout levels from the wide-range bar in the middle, and the high looks like it is potentially a more significant swing point as it has >=5 bars with lower highs to the left of it.

The chart is ES March 09 (Daily)

P.S Look at that lovely bullish pin at the end of December!

Attachments

• 2pins.jpg
    2pins.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Has anyone seen this before?

Yes, all the time. I see two back to back fairly often.

...the high looks like it is potentially a more significant swing point as it has >=5 bars with lower highs to the left of it.

Aren't there higher lows to the left of it, also?

At any rate, I personally don't like it.

Plus, today is all about the GBP/JPY.

You have to get on what's HOT :)

"Aren't there higher lows to the left of it, also?"

The second bar to the left of the middle bar has a tail which doesn't show up on the fuzzy image, unfortuantely. So the pin bar has both a higher high and a higher low.

Attachments

• magnified.jpg
    magnified.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 133
This is the situation going into U.s NFP re Gbpusd....anyone take the 1hr pin at prev support?? Price currently see-ing some resistance at the prev swing hi.

It's NFP so anything can happen. G/l, lol.

2j2yyb9.gif

This is the situation going into U.s NFP re Gbpusd....anyone take the 1hr pin at prev support?? Price currently see-ing some resistance at the prev swing hi.

It's NFP so anything can happen. G/l, lol.

2j2yyb9.gif

My plan for NFP is bid Gbp/Jpy hard on any sign of strength above 1.3940.

The support zone is currently holding on Gbpusd 1hr as that t/f consolidates in a channel....possible B/O scenarios shown on screenshot...getting late in day now though....eurusd and gbpjpy eems to have led the way
2rw6dty.gif

Last edited:
GBP/USD March09 (Daily chart):

2 failed probes of the projected supply line in the last 2 days.

Breakout trade: Price Projection using the blue arrows.

Fade Trade: Sell the 1.5200 pivot level with a protective stop a decent amount above the trendline.

Attachments

• BritishPound.jpg
    BritishPound.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.