Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tom

Do you use the same exit strategy on your daily trades as well?

I sometimes use discretionary exits but yes, I would do the same on the daily TF.

Would any contra indication like a pin in the opposite direction to your position influence you to close your position early?

If it's a pin off a good level (or perhaps a major high or low), then yes but not just if it's a pin in the middle of nowhere. You have to remember, pins mean nothing really. It's where they appear that makes them powerful.

Anyone, I have a quick question regarding the BE position.

When the stop is moved to BE, is this a price level that equates to a level of profit equal to the risk taken with the initial stop, or is it a position equal to the original entry plus an allowance for the spread?

Thanks in advance.

Webinvester

Breakeven stops should rarely be used. They are just an emotional crutch to make you think you have a risk free trade. They mean absolutely nothing to the market which is only interested in highs and lows. Support and resistance. Demand and Supply. Take profit when price indicates or take your loss like a man (woman). Don't be a p*ssy and use a breakeven stop. It is a major mistake.

Usdchf

Looking for the breakout from the current swing high / low range, which also will correspond to a break through the supply line.

Overnight range held within the swing high / low range, but pushing to the upside.

Pin on the daily off a double bottom for direction.

Red line represents price target (for Omni!)

Attachments

• usdchfd.gif
    usdchfd.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 136
  • usdchfh4.gif
    usdchfh4.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 148
Breakeven stops should rarely be used. They are just an emotional crutch to make you think you have a risk free trade. They mean absolutely nothing to the market which is only interested in highs and lows. Support and resistance. Demand and Supply. Take profit when price indicates or take your loss like a man (woman). Don't be a p*ssy and use a breakeven stop. It is a major mistake.

that's good chat.

Looking for the breakout from the current swing high / low range, which also will correspond to a break through the supply line.

Overnight range held within the swing high / low range, but pushing to the upside.

Thanks.
:cool:

careful of usdchf joey, there are more bigger sellers than buyers in this market for the time being.

does anyone know a broker with a tight spread on metals? namely copper?

E*Trade are unbeatable in most products - definetly my favourite broker.

Their spread on Copper is 80 ticks.

IG have a 110 tick spread.

Finspreads have a 50 tick spread. Obviously this is the lowest of the three.

But there is more opportunity to make money with E*Trade because of the way they quote it. You can bet per 0.01 movement.

IG are quoting per 0.1 movement and Finspreads are quoting per 0.05 movement.

I love E*Trade mate you can seriously leverage with them.

Last edited:
Further to the things written about breakeven stops, you often see vendors in particular recommending that you scale out so that from then in your worst case scenario is zero.

For example, in demo I played with exiting 2/3 of a postion at half the size of the stop.

The trouble is that even though you may come out on an individual trade with zero, over a sample of say 100 trades you will lose (or at least place a heavy burden on the win rate).

The reason is this - if those 3 lots above are risking $100 each, then there is a very real $300 risk at the outset with each trade. The "2/3 at half the stop method" covers a total of $100 which is fine for those trades that win at first, but the whole thing goes t1ts up on those that retreat instantly to the stop losing $300.

Over a large enough sample you can see lots of zeros, yes, but also lots of disastrous -$300s.

So, if this is to work, then the "partial success" trades must come out >0 or the runners must be spectacular.

Last edited:
Further to the things written about breakeven stops, you often see vendors in particular recommending that you scale out so that from then in your worst case scenario is zero.

For example, in demo I played with exiting 2/3 of a postion at half the size of the stop.

The trouble is that even though you may come out on an individual trade with zero, over a sample of say 100 trades you will lose (or at least place a heavy burden on the win rate).

The reason is this - if those 3 lots above are risking $100 each, then there is a very real $300 risk at the outset with each trade. The "2/3 at half the stop method" covers a total of $100 which is fine for those trades that win at first, but the whole thing goes t1ts up on those that retreat instantly to the stop losing $300.

Over a large enough sample you can see lots of zeros, yes, but also lots of disastrous -$300s.

So, if this is to work, then the "partial success" trades must come out >0 or the runners must be spectacular.

Good point and all I can say that there are a few points along the path from consistent loser to consistent winner and one of the major turning points for me was when I stopped placing stops at breakeven after being up on the trade.

As soon as you start saying "stop or target" you begin making money.

Good point and all I can say that there are a few points along the path from consistent loser to consistent winner and one of the major turning points for me was when I stopped placing stops at breakeven after being up on the trade.

thats true, but sometimes "stop" can be a lifesaver and shouldnt just be ignored.

thats true, but sometimes "stop" can be a lifesaver and shouldnt just be ignored.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be ignored. I wouldn't trade without a stop just like I wouldn't f*ck without a condom. (most of the time)

But I am saying that a breakeven stop should only be used in the rarest of occassions not on every move where you are 20 ticks in profit.

P.S Hope you are all on the Dax. BUOB breaks a flag. This looks like it's going to nail it.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be ignored. I wouldn't trade without a stop just like I wouldn't f*ck without a condom. (most of the time)

But I am saying that a breakeven stop should only be used in the rarest of occassions not on every move where you are 20 ticks in profit.

P.S Hope you are all on the Dax. BUOB breaks a flag. This looks like it's going to nail it.

True, move it up to a more reasonable level if good reason.... (eg previous days high is around BE level)

or if the market suddenly goes your way 3 times risk in a few minutes then you may want to consider moving it up rather than giving it back.

sup dante, just busted my free account. went highly leveraged at 3714 for the lulz then at 3765 and made 2/3rds back. I'm running with the money i made - going to focus on one broker at a time.

you win :D

Mornin', Tom.

Stops? Seems like an on going topic for discussion/arguement. The tight stops corner cry out 'proficiency', but i've never seen that particular arguement reasoned or properly argued against.

The other side of the coin in the context of tight stops, is that if a trader had extreme proficiency/skill then i'm sure stops wouldn't even be needed? Ok, maybe a safety stop is always needed, but not used in the terms as a real strategic play order?

Any views?

Define tight stop, most times when i trade a stock my stop is 0.5%- 0.75%?

If it's a decent Ib in forex you can get away with a 20 pip stop.

Is that tight?

Mornin', Tom.

Stops? Seems like an on going topic for discussion/arguement. The tight stops corner cry out 'proficiency', but i've never seen that particular arguement reasoned or properly argued against.

The other side of the coin in the context of tight stops, is that if a trader had extreme proficiency/skill then i'm sure stops wouldn't even be needed? Ok, maybe a safety stop is always needed, but not used in the terms as a real strategic play order?

Any views?

Hey Paul, I'm kind of tired of the whole argument to be honest. I've heard it regurgitated countless times by new_trader et al.

The best traders I have seen use tight stops and they know when to scalp and when to run a position. But these are the higher echelon of traders. For most of us (and this goes for even very successful traders that make a lot of money) tight stops and proficient entries mean they exit quicker.

Why is it when somone can get an entry with a 1 tick stop that they don't seem to be able to run a profit? Perhaps because with a 1 tick stop, 5 ticks profit is a R:R of 5:1 which is excellent.

And yet that still doesn't impress me. Because I am in this to catch the big moves - that is my personality and that is my style of trading.

I couldn't give a flying f*ck if someone uses a super tight, proficient entry into the Bund with a stop of 1 tick at a double bottom, then takes 5 ticks and three months later we are 14 full points higher. I don't respect that. That's just me.

But I always found that those that use larger stops are inclined to take the larger moves. Not only because they need too, to make it work but because they are used to the market ebbing and flowing so they can hold their position longer.

Think about it, a person that uses a stop of 1 tor 2 ticks likes to NAIL their entry. As a result, they usually don't have the mental faculties to see a market go up 100 ticks and then retrace 40 before going up another 100. They would rather job it. They would like to get the 100. Then sell for 40. Then buy for the next 100. But ultimately they end up with lots of small gains rather than the position trader that takes the whole move.

I don't know how much sense this makes but it is something that I have found time and time again. The proficient traders, for the most part, can't seem to run things. Of course, THEORETICALLY they have the best advantage. A tight stop with unlimited gains. But this is THEORETICAL. It rarely works out like this in real life.

The traders that aren't as proficient, (like me, I am sure many would argue) can run things for the bigger moves because each tick doesn't "matter" - only the bigger picture.

I think even the stars probably have quite a few goes at entries - adding up to a substantial stop if they had had just one try.

Status
Not open for further replies.