pls recommend a good spread betting firm for newbie

Capital Spreads. On many major markets their spreads are as narrow as D4F, and customer service much, much better.

I see that this post is very old, but just in case any new members are wondering the same question, I'm finding cantor index to be very good. Their spreads are not the smallest, but their executions are very good, I've never been hurt by anything that they have done, also their traders aren't as patronising to newbies as you find with some firms.

Don't expect too much Shemmbong, I just got a load of condescending, patronising bullsh** off a couple of "experts".

just wanna ask what are the best platforms to use in terms in spreadbetting

I'm a newbie (been trading for 6 months), and I've opened accounts with Finspreads, CMC and Worldspreads, and they each have their pluses and minuses.

Finspreads: narrow spreads (0.1% either side), spreads are predictable because they're calculated based on the current market price, very easy to use trading platform, not as wide a range of stocks as the other two companies offer though because I've found that a few FTSE 250 stocks aren't listed, charts are cr*p because if you have more than 1 or 2 charts open simultaneously they consume a ridiculous amount of CPU usage (Worldspreads use exactly the same Java/web-based charts as Finspreads - my PC is getting on a bit, but I reckon they'd still consume a lot of CPU usage on new machines as well - CMC's charts are far better), margin requirements are 7.5% on FTSE100 stocks going up to 15 - 30% on smaller stocks (Finspreads is the worst of the three for margin requirements), bet sizes start at 50p/point and bets can be any size above that, i.e. bet sizes don't have to be a multiple of anything

CMC: narrowest spreads on the biggest stocks (0.075% either side if I remember correctly), but the spreads are sometimes huge on smaller stocks because CMC is a market maker so it quotes its own prices rather than calculating the prices based on the market price like the other two do, CMC's MarketMaker platform is easily the best if you want to display multiple charts at once because you install it on your PC so the charts aren't web/Java-based like they are for Finspreads and Worldspreads so it consumes very low CPU usage, margin requirements are 8% on bigger stocks, 10% on smaller stocks, 15% on very small stocks, bet sizes start at £1/point and bets have to be a multiple of £1, CMC offers the widest range of stocks of the three

Worldspreads: widest spreads of the three for FTSE 100 stocks (I think it's 0.2% either side), but unlike CMC the prices are calculated based on the market price, so the spreads are often narrower than CMC's for smaller stocks, trading platform is quite easy to use, the charts are exactly the same Java/web-based charts as on Finspreads so they consume a lot of CPU usage, margin requirements are 5% for FTSE 100 stocks and 10% on smaller stocks, bet sizes start at £1 and they don't have to be a multiple of anything.

They all provide introductory offers:

Finspreads reimburses £75 of losses made in first 8 weeks (if I remember correctly) and you can trade from 10p/point for the first 8 weeks.

CMC lets you have one risk-free day trading on the FTSE 100 with a maximum bet size of £2/point - i.e. you keep anything you win and they reimburse you any money you lose.

Worldspreads reimburses £250 of losses made in first 8 weeks (if I remember correctly), which is an offer that you get via the Naked Trader website.

how abput IG index and capitaspreads?

I know someone who used to trade with IG Index and he said they were pretty good. I received an email today about a promotion Capital Spreads have on at the moment:

http://www.capitalspreadspromo.com/bloom/

3% margin on FTSE 100 and 5% margin on FTSE 250 is a lot better than CMC, Finspreads and Worldspreads offer. They also claim to offer very tight spreads, but they only list what they are for a few indices and FX, not equities.

I opened an account with Capital spreads last week and received £100 promotional bonus. However, I lost £700 since inc. the bonus:LOL:

Louise Woof Earlybird Trading

Hi I am a definite Newbie and would like to find out if anyone has tried Louise Woof's Earlybird system. thanks.

Personally I wouldn't touch Finspreads with a long pole.

If you're new, try IG. Seem reliable, very good platform. One thing to be aware of is that bets don't automatically roll over - you have to request this.

Newbies try - shorts and longs - easy to use and guaranteed stops as standard i.e you wont lose more than you put in the account.