Please Help Me? You Will See Why...

supa2532

hello there everyone, i have read through many posts and find the responses here very informative. So i have a question to ask of trading....

Firstly, quickly my background...1 yr in Computing (acheived 90%+ in finance exams,
didnt enjoy and transferred to Fashion marketing degree, completed with a 3rd. (I never went into university as i had a business in event organisation / marketing. I knew i didnt want to be in the fashion industry very early on in my degree.)
Now graduated, i realise that finance and math are my strong points, i am interested in markets and i should never have done fashion.

Now I am job hunting, and really want to be a successful trader with gr8 income (security). i am wondering wht would be the best route for me to become a trader with a bank? Preferablly to trade on behalf of a major bank?

1. go back to average uni - do finance related degree? (3years):smart:
2. do a ACCA qualification / qualify firstly as a accountant, then transfer to trading?(3 years to qualify):whistling
3. Start at the bottom, doing cold calling stockbroking, work my way up to trading ? (start now) :| or..
4. Any other advice?

There are so many ways, the decision i make now is so important............PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello there everyone, i have read through many posts and find the responses here very informative. So i have a question to ask of trading....

Firstly, quickly my background...1 yr in Computing (acheived 90%+ in finance exams,
didnt enjoy and transferred to Fashion marketing degree, completed with a 3rd. (I never went into university as i had a business in event organisation / marketing. I knew i didnt want to be in the fashion industry very early on in my degree.)
Now graduated, i realise that finance and math are my strong points, i am interested in markets and i should never have done fashion.

Now I am job hunting, and really want to be a successful trader with gr8 income (security). i am wondering wht would be the best route for me to become a trader with a bank? Preferablly to trade on behalf of a major bank?

1. go back to average uni - do finance related degree? (3years):smart:
2. do a ACCA qualification / qualify firstly as a accountant, then transfer to trading?(3 years to qualify):whistling
3. Start at the bottom, doing cold calling stockbroking, work my way up to trading ? (start now) :| or..
4. Any other advice?

There are so many ways, the decision i make now is so important............PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assuming this post isn't a wind-up, option 1. Except change 'average university' to 'good university' and choose a proper numerate subject like Maths or Physics. A 3rd in Fashion Marketing (is that really a degree subject?) is going to be a serious blot on your cv (even if you then go on to do an ACA or similar) so you need to do whatever you need to do to wipe it off and replace it with something worthwhile. You can then ignore the fashion degree on your cv and just replace it with what you did with your own business during that time. To be honest, I'd do that anyway: probably better to look like a self-starter who chose running a business over uni, than admit to a 3rd in Fashion which sends out bad signals at so many levels... The other option would be to learn to trade independently where qualifications won't be so important.
Good luck.

I used to work for someone who got a degree in History and went on to run a large subsidiary of Barclays Bank (obviously not straight out of uni!!).

Well, not much from me ... but how about BUllsh!t on your CV.. (oxbridge degree, yeah just lie get in the door) and when you get to the interviews you enter with a killer outfit ON ?

I'd watch Zoolander a few more times and perfect his "Blue Steel" & "Magnum" looks... no one can take that away from you, absolutely no one.......

otherwise, yeah post number 2. sounds sensible.... (y)

all the best.

Firstly, quickly my background...1 yr in Computing Does this make you good at computing? Just 1 years...? (acheived 90%+ in finance exams,
didnt enjoy and transferred to Fashion marketing degree, completed with a 3rd What is a 3rd? You never went to university? Where is a 3rd from? I'm confused. . (I never went into university as i had a business in event organisation / marketing. Had a business but you knew you didn't want to be in the fashion industry early on in your degree? Very mixed up. What are you really telling us here? I knew i didnt want to be in the fashion industry very early on in my degree.) But you left Computer science after a year which you were good at and completed a degree in an industry you were working in but didn't want to be in.
Now graduated, i realise that finance and math are my strong points How do you know this? What evidence or facts are there? , i am interested in markets and i should never have done fashion.

Now I am job hunting, What happened to your business?and really want to be a successful trader with gr8 income (security) Yeah so does the rest of the planet? . i am wondering wht would be the best route for me to become a trader with a bank? Preferablly to trade on behalf of a major bank? Does it have to be a major bank? Or even a bank?

1. go back to average uni - do finance related degree? (3years):smart: Change your mind again. Computer Science - Business - Fashion - Degree and back to Uni - I don't think so... Why not just grow up!
2. do a ACCA qualification / qualify firstly as a accountant, then transfer to trading?(3 years to qualify):whistling Do you know anything about accountancy and studying for ACCA qualification. Total contradiction to your past endeavours.
3. Start at the bottom, doing cold calling stockbroking, work my way up to trading ? (start now) :| or.. Forget it with your back ground based on what you have written above.
4. Any other advice? Stop the bull ****. Go to some third world country look into an abyss and find your self. Time waster

There are so many ways, the decision i make now is so important............PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many ways of what? Why is your decision any more important now than before. You sure you will not have more important decisions later?

I think this is a wind up. But to humour you along and give you the benefit of the doubt read my advice above.

Does the new hero on the block from the SocGen have anything to do with this whim of yours?

You are funny I like you.:LOL:

thank you to the first 3 replys, i appreciate your opinion immensly. Your advice bagehot is one i have contemplated myself, removing fashion from my degree. I worked as a marketing manager after starting my business (all during a fashion degree in the background), i think i will amend my cv and interview approach with this in the future, thanks for your opinion. any other advice would be great.

In reply to Atilla, sarcastic lad, yes i have changed my path many times, looking back on my life the reason is quite apparent to me. I have always played soccor upto semi professional level during college, and then had trials for manchester united (didnt go well...worst day of my life) just before i had to make a desicion to go to university or risk continue playing soccor or not. I went to uni!!, and didnt know what i wanted to be. i had C+ developer friends when i was 15-18, and thought i would like to be a programmer, then transferres to fashion cos of the girls (grrr) and simular pay at senior level, then started and became more involved in my business. In this time, yes i have totally grown up, very much so.

This thread is VERY SERIOUS and this is what happened HENCE i dont appreciate your non-constructive critism atilla. I am a clever guy and will be trading one way or the other.

I am looking for an informative opinion, supportive maybe but most importantly realistic.

So far, from the replies, (get rid of fashion, go back to uni) or ACCA. Surely if im ACCA qualified thats equivilent to a finance degree at a top uni? the final exams are set at masters finance level. Also.... with 6 months further company trading experience after the ACCA whilst doing the securities course ....with personal trading experience and knowledge which i will learn, .....surely this will be sufficient???

what do you think?? Any other advice?? What route should i take?

Why do you think that you are good at maths or finance? A finance course as part of a computing degree is not really going to be all that challenging I should have thought. What grade did you get in Further Maths A level?

forget about doing an ACCA. Dont think it would help in the slightest, unless you want to work as an accountant or risk/finance person in middle office.

i would go do a proper degree at a very good university. if you cant get into a top 10 uni then try getting a position in a small trading house and work your way up from there.

the last thing you want to do is go through a 3 year course, and once you've finished it your employability is the same as it is now. maybe try applying for trading jobs now and see how far you get.

This thread is VERY SERIOUS and this is what happened HENCE i dont appreciate your non-constructive critism atilla. I am a clever guy and will be trading one way or the other.

I am looking for an informative opinion, supportive maybe but most importantly realistic.

Supa,

Atilla's comments are both constructive and realistic. You wanted good advice - you got it. Don't take offence - your main problem seems to be immaturity (we've all been there and come through it - looks like you're still travelling). I would suggest that you decide a plan, stick to it and actually achieve something. The classic response to your "I am a clever guy and will be trading one way or the other." is: if you're so clever - why aren't you rich? And with your current attitude you are likely to be trading the "other way".

Find out what you are good at, become proficient at least (better still be the best) and earn a reliable income (be it trading or anything else). You will then be in a position to be able to do what you want. There is more to life than earning big bucks (though they have their uses)

Lastly, I repeat, please don't take offence - you will realise the value of some of the replies perhaps later on. One of the first signs of growing maturity is an ability to listen and act upon other people's "wrong" opinions.

I wish you all the best.

Surely if im ACCA qualified thats equivilent to a finance degree at a top uni? the final exams are set at masters finance level.

No for three reasons. First, an ACA is effectively a post-grad and employers are going to want to know what your first degree was. As soon as you say 'a 3rd in fashion' your application will go in the bin. Second, you need to get a job with an accountancy firm to do your ACA. I'm sure you'll get an offer from somewhere, but given your degree it ain't going to be from a top-flight firm: an ACA from some mid/lower-tier practice is not going to be attractive to an investment bank when they can pick from the cream of PWC, etc. And third - as state said, even if you get into a bank you've got to cross the gap from back/middle office to front office which is not impossible, but not easy to do.

thank you to the first 3 replys, i appreciate your opinion immensly. Your advice bagehot is one i have contemplated myself, removing fashion from my degree. I worked as a marketing manager after starting my business (all during a fashion degree in the background), i think i will amend my cv and interview approach with this in the future, thanks for your opinion. any other advice would be great.

In reply to Atilla, sarcastic lad, yes i have changed my path many times, looking back on my life the reason is quite apparent to me. I have always played soccor upto semi professional level during college, and then had trials for manchester united (didnt go well...worst day of my life) just before i had to make a desicion to go to university or risk continue playing soccor or not. I went to uni!!, and didnt know what i wanted to be. i had C+ developer friends when i was 15-18, and thought i would like to be a programmer, then transferres to fashion cos of the girls (grrr) and simular pay at senior level, then started and became more involved in my business. In this time, yes i have totally grown up, very much so. I'm wasn't challenging why you have changed paths but more your contradictory remarks and your justification for changing paths. It's quite normal to try different things.

So far, from the replies, (get rid of fashion, go back to uni) or ACCA. Surely if im ACCA qualified thats equivilent to a finance degree at a top uni? the final exams are set at masters finance level. Also.... with 6 months further company trading experience after the ACCA whilst doing the securities course ....with personal trading experience and knowledge which i will learn, .....surely this will be sufficient???

what do you think?? Any other advice?? What route should i take?

Look first of all I seldom discourage people but more often like to encourage them but I'm still not sure how you graduated if you never went to university?

I'm not sure whether you had your own business or merely worked as a manager?

Even within your writing you change style and incosistent in use of capitals and lower case.

On the contrary this thread is not serious at all. HENCE and then a little i. As for names always with capitals.

People pay good money for this psychometric testing and analysis stuff but I'm giving it to you for free.

There are so many ways, the decision i make now is so important............PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's with the please help. You sound desperate!

You sound like a poor marketeer with no substance attempting to have a little bit of impact. Your whole article even the title smacks of whacko...

Please Help Me? You Will See Why...

You are full of your self and hardly asked any questions about trading or what's it like. What's your football or girl pursuits got to do with anything. You think anybody outside of fashion doesn't get laid or something.

As for accountancy, you can kiss your social life good bye and pass rates are like 20%.

Apologies for the harsh words but most importantly realistic words are the best.

I think in all sincerity and honesty based on what you have written your first judgement /instincts to go into the arts is probably the right one imo.

Wishing you best of luck.(y)

Why don't you try trading for yourself first, and then make decisions. I would say that you'll know whether you're good at it in about 2-3 years of trading. This is where I am at right now. I've graduated several months ago, majored in Economics and minored in Finance, and been trading for the past 3 years. I traded more than I studied, so my marks at the uni weren't as high as they could be, but I managed to graduate. I keep trading. I love trading. I know I could do it for a bank, but do I really want to, knowing the pressure and stress I'm gonna have to go through? I'd rather work for some firm in the role of a market analyst or something equivalent (having an interview for such a position tomorrow), and then trade for myself as a separate thing.

Do your research first. There's a huge gap between the world of fashion and the world of finance which has to be filled by you. Studying, gaining experience, and most of all, being good at trading. Are you ready for all this?

Again, my advice, start trading for yourself first, and then you'll see if such a career suits you.

Show us some balls and do CFA....
Do level 1 by your self and the apply for a job/ this is a good solution guaranteed

I don't know about myth, it is possible to make a good income from trading....Just no where near as easy as it's often made out to be, people seem to equate trader with automatic glamour and riches and a lack of work.

So although the movie stereotype is pretty unlikely, a good living is definitely achievable for some people with hard work.

If you are "really clever" studying accountancy (or for that matter any degree) should not be a big issue in terms of social life/ trading etc.

The really clever lot in my friends have an extremely good social life and have consistently high grades (most in Oxbridge colleges).

"Really clever" = Exceptional IQ/ grasping power + Amazing memory = Its a doddle to pick any subject!

.. and you really should not need any help whatsover.

DIY