Plain Vanilla Options Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
laptop1 said:
I hope SOCS is prepared for the next leg down. could be as early as next week
[

Whatever arrives I am well prepared for it with my rolled up copies of today's Financial Times, weekend edition which is fatter and perfectly suitable, is all you are entitled to know.

Everything is decided in advance.

You will see how it is that everything I have written is going to expire if not worthless, then very nearly worthless and certainly at a profit.

Even the level of profit is decided and known in advance but none of you deserve to be told.

For this reason, I have nearly finished posting here, and am now posting on another website in which I am guaranteed to be able to discuss freely among equals, without silly threats of being crucified or having my hands stamped on.

Now no one gets to learn anything here.:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
zupcon said:
Oh I wouldn't exactly say that, the thread has been most educational. :cheesy:
Yes, exactly conditions have been ideal for it to serve its purpose within itself, beyond my most optimistic expectations...;) :LOL:

Just in case I nip out to enjoy the sunshine :D , please remember my plea and warning:

The plea: I would be grateful if members would take extra care to be polite to each other and not make comments that can be construed as insulting, even if to be insulting was not their intention. I would also be grateful if member would be quick to report rude, insulting and/or disruptive posts to help me zero in on potential disruption earlier. I do thank those of you who take the time to report posts - they are a great help even though I might not get round to them as quickly as I might.

The warning: Since it is clear that the deletion of rude and insulting posts and/or the general warnings I have posted on threads have not proved a sufficient deterrent to future behaviour, I will give one warning then a five day ban to transgressors. Members should note that retaliatory rudeness is just as unacceptable.

Thanks, guys.

jon

SOCRATES said:

Even the level of profit is decided and known in advance but none of you deserve to be told.
You mean you decided in advance to open short Put positions that you knew would run up a loss of £ 53,000 ? You mean that you decided in advance to allocated £ 173,000 to cover margin ?

I find this very strange, because on 26th February a Put 100 points OTM (6325) could be bought for 31.5 and on 5th March those same Puts could be sold for 286.5. Had you invested your £ 173,000 of margin capital in that Put strike you would now have £ 1,573,476 in your account :LOL:

Your stated aim of this thread was to prove that option sellers have an edge over option buyers.....how would you say you've done.....so far ?

Profitaker said:
You mean you decided in advance to open short Put positions that you knew would run up a loss of £ 53,000 ? You mean that you decided in advance to allocated £ 173,000 to cover margin ?

I find this very strange, because on 26th February a Put 100 points OTM (6325) could be bought for 31.5 and on 5th March those same Puts could be sold for 286.5. Had you invested your £ 173,000 of margin capital in that Put strike you would now have £ 1,573,476 in your account :LOL:

Your stated aim of this thread was to prove that option sellers have an edge over option buyers.....how would you say you've done.....so far ?

There are a lot of "if" and "but" about all of this, aren't there? :) I've just had a look at that chart, though, I think yours is the safest way, by far.

Split

Splitlink

Yes, there are a lot of "if" and "but", as in any trading.

This thread has clearly demonstrated the consequences of getting a directional call badly wrong using options as an instrument, as in the case of Soc's walking disaster trades. But it has also demonstrated the consequences of getting a directional call brilliantly right.

What it has not demonstrated, in any shape or form, is edge.

Profitaker said:
Splitlink

Yes, there are a lot of "if" and "but", as in any trading.

This thread has clearly demonstrated the consequences of getting a directional call badly wrong using options as an instrument, as in the case of Soc's walking disaster trades. But it has also demonstrated the consequences of getting a directional call brilliantly right.

What it has not demonstrated, in any shape or form, is edge.
.:LOL:

This thread has encompassed everything that is right, wrong, good and bad re options trading. A text book in itself.

Grant.

barjon said:
Just in case I nip out to enjoy the sunshine :D , please remember my plea and warning:

The plea: I would be grateful if members would take extra care to be polite to each other and not make comments that can be construed as insulting, even if to be insulting was not their intention. I would also be grateful if member would be quick to report rude, insulting and/or disruptive posts to help me zero in on potential disruption earlier. I do thank those of you who take the time to report posts - they are a great help even though I might not get round to them as quickly as I might.

The warning: Since it is clear that the deletion of rude and insulting posts and/or the general warnings I have posted on threads have not proved a sufficient deterrent to future behaviour, I will give one warning then a five day ban to transgressors. Members should note that retaliatory rudeness is just as unacceptable.

Thanks, guys.

jon

well that's warnings for:

cyof
stoic
socrates

Take heed chaps

jon

barjon said:
well that's warnings for:

cyof
stoic
socrates

Take heed chaps

jon

You will observe that I am restricting my postings to the weekend only and then absolutely limited, so I do not understand what this warning is for or indeed what it is about, can you explain please ?

SOCRATES said:
You will observe that I am restricting my postings to the weekend only and then absolutely limited, so I do not understand what this warning is for or indeed what it is about, can you explain please ?

Maybe he wrote a few puts lately and ..........

barjon said:
socrates

I posted this thread some days ago http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=23963 the meat of which is repeated in the quote above the warning notice. Your warning is due to your rude remarks in post 1704 which I edited out.

jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zupcon
Oh I wouldn't exactly say that, the thread has been most educational. :cheesy:

Yes, exactly conditions have been ideal for it to serve its purpose within itself, beyond my most optimistic expectations...;) :LOL:

But it is very well understood by a select few and it is not rude.

And then, I have neither the patience or the energy to explain any further than I have ventured to comment in public, and that is not rude either, but a matter of the excercise of choice, and my choice exclusively and no one elses'.

As a consequence of all this behaviour everyone will have to wait till next weekend for a possible update.

barjon,

"warning lists" of disruptees? :eek:

I think you have contracted a virulent strain of the cyof-occus virus.

You should consign yourself to bed, take regular temperature checks, and drink plenty of liquids.

(If I am to be added to your list, can I be number 7 please? (deja-vu))

Actually, I am bored with this thread.
Its all smoke and mirrors.

[80% of all options EXPIRE worthless is the assumption]
One moment the trades are closed out way before expiry, because they show profit.
Now, because its losing, we are supposed to wait till expiry.
The trades arent being compared like-to-like.
Any attempt to prove anything has been lost, as there is no baseline (set of pre-determined rules) to test against.
And all this guff about "all is decided in advance" has been shown to be preposterous.

isnt the simplest option for Socco is to just to admit he got it wrong?
there is no harm in admitting this, and he is NOT diminished as a person in any way whatsoever, for doing so.

such a pity. :cry:

[best bits have been from duccait and Dashing Blade re: implied/historical volatility]

Reactions: ian
SOCRATES said:
[

Whatever arrives I am well prepared for it with my rolled up copies of today's Financial Times, weekend edition which is fatter and perfectly suitable, is all you are entitled to know.

You will see how it is that everything I have written is going to expire if not worthless, then very nearly worthless and certainly at a profit.

For this reason, I have nearly finished posting here, and am now posting on another website in which I am guaranteed to be able to discuss freely among equals, without silly threats of being crucified or having my hands stamped on.

Now no one gets to learn anything here.:LOL:

Socrates

My apologies - this was this post where I edited out personal rudeness. It is now 1702 but it was 1704 before I deleted another couple of posts.

jon

Status
Not open for further replies.