Petals around the rose

That has absolutely made my day. MANY thanks, Frugi. (I'm also left-handed).

No, I'm not implying it Paul, I'm coming right out and saying "I DID!".

I've always enjoyed finding the quick route to solving problems. Some, I'm sure, enjoy tearing their hair out and putting in the hours.

But it seems to me if you don't use all the tools available you're selling yourself short.

Salty Gibbon said:
No need to cheat.

Totally obvious to me as are most things.
Salty, you sound like someone else!

Not a case of 'needing' to - I just look for different routes to solutions with the emphasis on speed rather than brute force or brain power.

Some people (yourself included it would seem) are particularly gifted visually. However, say you were asked to provide a formula for say, the sum of numbers between two given integers, a more cerebral challenge.

Would you research the answer (assuming you didn't already know it of course!) or would you battle through manually using trial and error?

That was easy for me but I am good with visual problems and not so good with written ones. Probably why I don't get on with trading books that are full of text but I enjoy the ones with pretty pictures :)

Some people (yourself included it would seem) are particularly gifted visually. However, say you were asked to provide a formula for say, the sum of numbers between two given integers, a more cerebral challenge.

Yes I am naturally gifted visually as I have always been rather adept at picking out gorgeous women.

I am also rather a good mathematician and as you can deduce from my previous statement, I appreciate good figures.

BTW, who did I sound like ? I have a short list of 2 possibilities.

BTW again, I only said it to cause a stir. Bit bored tonight. lol

More difficult problems involve ascertaining just why did the chicken cross the road and how many beans make 5 ?

I mean, did anyone ever come up with a solution to these problems.

I tried to solve these using integral calculus but eventually ran out of chalk and gave up.

TheMrabble said:
Not a case of 'needing' to - I just look for different routes to solutions with the emphasis on speed rather than brute force or brain power.

Brimble,

In this case either the short cut may have deprived your murphy of a welcome shot of dopamine - delivered at the moment of thrilling self-derived solution - and perhaps removed the chance of forging a new neural connection that might serve you well on a future occasion.

Or I'm talking bollo.

Of course if you summarised Proust for four and a half minutes and then looked the answer up, my argument is somewhat pointless, as ever. :confused:

frugi said:
In this case either the short cut may have deprived your murphy of a welcome shot of dopamine - delivered at the moment of thrilling self-derived solution - and perhaps removed the chance of forging a new neural connection that might serve you well on a future occasion.
Frufgo, I don't know about you, but I reckon I get more than my fair share of real-life opportunities each day to expand my neuro-chemical network solving real puzzles and problems without the need to seek artificial ones.

I get my 'juice' from having found the solution to a problem, not from the process of finding the solution. Horses...

frugi said:
Of course if you summarised Proust for four and a half minutes and then looked the answer up, my argument is somewhat pointless, as ever. :confused:
Proust was a muddle-head. Wasn't able to see the funny side of a dead parrot any more than he could make sense. If anyone needed summarising....

That was fun! It took me 6 rolls of the dice to figure it out, and 4 more to confirm. I did cheat a little bit - I closed my right eye since you said it was a right brain activity.

Hmmmn, maybe I should try trading with an eye patch over my right orb...

JO

Took me 1 roll of the dice to figure out and 3 rolls afterwards to check it...! Now I think this is due to one of two things:

1) I fluked it with my first thought
2) I'm so thick that no intellect blocked my looking at the dice!!

Neat though
-TPO.