optiver vs group1

i was at optiver for over 6 years before co-founding the Tibra Group. So, of course, you may say i am biased. The reality is that the proof is in peoples actions. Many of the best traders have left Optiver, IMC, Susqehanna, Liquid and others to join Tibra but not a single person has ever left to go the other way. Optiver no longer looks after its traders like it once did, it is controlled by one man who now runs it like a corporation. Mediocrity is now allowed to prosper where once it was quickly identified and stamped out. Tibra is owned by the traders for the traders, yet is still large enough to compete globally and hold significant market share in Asia and Europe. More importantly, the standard demanded of, and attained by, the traders is exceptionally high. We only want the smartest, fastest, most disciplined traders out there...thats the main reason i post here, that someone we need might read the forums... i also like to keep an eye on perceptions around the place

Hope that helps!

au959, quick question for you:

What's the average age of the people going into your training program?

Do you trade any commodities apart from energy - specifically ag's and any other softs, metals?? Also do you have an idea of the salary for a grad?
Many thanks

au959, do you also have an opinion about IMC? I have an offer from them. During the interviews they made a very good impression and put a lot of emphasize on their technological leadership and their success.

Hi Au959.
I would be interested in working at Tibra... have you got a link that I can look into ?

I have been trading for about a decade now and recently moved to EU.
Rgds.

What's with the ****ty questions?

au959 is the founder of Tibra - ask him questions about his firm or the the industry in general.

Considering the calibre of people Tibra try to recruit, asking for a link is hilarious. Think about it.

what is it with you anyhow... he mentioned that he is on the site to scope out the views on his company and to see if there are any traders out there who might be of value to his firm... so I asked him a simple question...

Are you just to *****d or pathetic to have to comment on others questions.

Get a life would you.

personally I wouldnt want to work for a firm where the staff, could not at the very least, speak to the founder of the firm..... it shows the kind of concern and care from the top management of a firm has for its most valuable assets (its staff).

From what Au959 said, it seems they are happy to connect with the people they choose to work with - this is a trait which is very respectable and I was just responding to that.

au959: From what I've heard Tibra hire alot people that IMC and Optiver reject, I've been told by people in the industry that Tibra can't really compete with IMC or Optiver.

what is it with you anyhow... he mentioned that he is on the site to scope out the views on his company and to see if there are any traders out there who might be of value to his firm... so I asked him a simple question...

Are you just to *****d or pathetic to have to comment on others questions.

Get a life would you.

Having the head of a firm here to answer questions is a fantastic asset for those interested in the industry or considering applying for employment.

If we simply flood au959 with questions such as "does Tibra have a website?", we run the risk of him not wanting to be a part of the forum community anymore.

My tone may have been a little agressive, but I've seen valuable posters get chased off of forums many times in the past.

au959,

I'd like to know what seperates an average options trader from a top performing options trader at your firm?

With you guys being mainly market neutral, I'm having trouble getting my head around where the individual can add value to his performance.

we do try to be flexible in our recruiting and look for smart people rather than just what's on a CV.

there may be a couple of our staff who got knocked back elsewhere, but there are also a few i know of that we knocked back who have popped us elsewhere.

Recruiting traders is extremely difficult and extremely subjective so you would expect some variation of opinion on candidates.

As for not being able to compete, id say that the flow of talent continues to be towards Tibra, and that we have achieved in 2 years what other firms have taken 10 years or more to build...but it is future growth and development where we have the biggest advantage...in the areas we are behind, we are rapidly gaining, and in the areas we are ahead, we are rapidly getting away...

we have offices in Sydney, Hong Kong, London, Amsterdam and Monaco (opening soon) and a team of more than 50 of the most dedicated and skilled programmers and coders building world class trading and execution systems.

we have a dozen or more people who have been senior traders or partners at those firms you mention (myself included) and who have brought the skill and left behind the problems.

If you talk to lots of people in the industry you will get different views i guess..