Opening Gap indicators in TS000i

Glenn

Experienced member
Opening Gap indicators in TS2000i

If anyone is using the Gap or Gap Percent indicators in TS2000i, for example in Strategy 3, may I suggest that you check a few example calculations.
I have checked quite a few stocks and the indicators do not produce correct gap measurements.
I'd coded my own before discovering these, but as they don't appear to work I'll stick with my own version.
Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn said:
If anyone is using the Gap or Gap Percent indicators in TS2000i, for example in Strategy 3, may I suggest that you check a few example calculations.
I have checked quite a few stocks and the indicators do not produce correct gap measurements.
I'd coded my own before discovering these, but as they don't appear to work I'll stick with my own version.
Glenn
Hi Glenn

I agree entirely. I have noticed this quite a few times by comparing TS with the Close/Open column on IB.

You have reminded me that I need to code this too. Have you written a code that still allows you to insert the indicator into a Radar with 1 minute data compression or are you using daily?

Thanks

Steve

Can some one tell me what is the the symbol for NAZ Index on TS 2000. I have $compq but can not down load any data from esignal for the index. I have asked few other people and they have the same problem .. Any help ?

Grey1

Grey1 said:
Can some one tell me what is the the symbol for NAZ Index on TS 2000. I have $compq but can not down load any data from esignal for the index. I have asked few other people and they have the same problem .. Any help ?

Grey1

$COMPQ is what they have listed on esignal site?

samtron said:
$COMPQ is what they have listed on esignal site?

I had already tried $COMPQ but when i try to down load date into TS no data is imported..

Attachments

• nas.jpg
    nas.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 21
  • TS.jpg
    TS.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
Grey1 said:
I had already tried $COMPQ but when i try to down load date into TS no data is imported..
Hi Grey1 - the following is copied from the IB symbol look-up...

Cheers

Steve

General Information
Name NASDAQ-COMPOSITE INDEX
TWS Symbol COMP
Contract Type IND
Currency USD
Country of Origin United States (US)
RLA 0
RLM 0
Available Exchanges
Exchanges NASDAQ
Contract Identifiers
Conid 18342287

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SECURITY DEALERS (NASDAQ) | Top
Local Name COMP
Local Class -
Price Parameters Range Increment
price > 0 .01

Size Parameters Minimum Order Size Order Size Increment
1 1

Settlement Method -
Exchange Hours Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Closed 0930-1600 0930-1600 0930-1600 0930-1600 0930-1600 Closed

Exchange Website http://www.nasdaq.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR....

General Information
Name NASDAQ 100 STOCK INDEX
TWS Symbol NDX
Contract Type IND
Currency USD
Country of Origin United States (US)
RLA 0
RLM 0
Available Exchanges
Exchanges NASDAQ
Contract Identifiers
Conid 416843

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SECURITY DEALERS (NASDAQ) | Top
Local Name NDX
Local Class -
Price Parameters Range Increment
price > 0 .01

Size Parameters Minimum Order Size Order Size Increment
1 1

Settlement Method -
Exchange Hours Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
Closed 0930-1600 0930-1600 0930-1600 0930-1600 0930-1600 Closed

Exchange Website http://www.nasdaq.com

Grey1 said:

Grey1
$INDU
INDU.X

It may vary depending on your data feed......you probably know that !

samtron said:
Try $COMPX

???

TS cannot find $COMPX also Esignal symbol is $compq.. Surley somone one should be using TS and esignal combination

grey1

I don't use e-signal or 2000i but I did notice in the table image you posted you had it in lower case not upper case. Couldn't be that could it?

Sorry if it's a dumb suggestion

Gareth

evostik said:
Hi Glenn

I agree entirely. I have noticed this quite a few times by comparing TS with the Close/Open column on IB.

You have reminded me that I need to code this too. Have you written a code that still allows you to insert the indicator into a Radar with 1 minute data compression or are you using daily?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve
"Have you written a code that still allows you to insert the indicator into a Radar with 1 minute data compression......."

Yes it's in a 1-min Radar.
It should work in any timeframe because you are looking at the Close of yesterday and the Open of today, which will be the same in all Daily or less timeframes.
However there may be a logic problem if you use timescales greater than 1 minute because, depending how you code it, it might wait until the end of the opening bar before it displays the Gap value. So if the data compression is 5 min say, you wouldn't get the GAP value displayed until 5 mins after the open.
Cheers
Glenn

Glenn said:
Hi Steve
"Have you written a code that still allows you to insert the indicator into a Radar with 1 minute data compression......."

Yes it's in a 1-min Radar.
It should work in any timeframe because you are looking at the Close of yesterday and the Open of today, which will be the same in all Daily or less timeframes.
However there may be a logic problem if you use timescales greater than 1 minute because, depending how you code it, it might wait until the end of the opening bar before it displays the Gap value. So if the data compression is 5 min say, you wouldn't get the GAP value displayed until 5 mins after the open.
Cheers
Glenn
Thanks for that Glenn,

So, "closed(1) and opend(0)" are OK on the 1 min data compression? Are these what you are using?

Thanks Again,

Steve

evostik said:
Thanks for that Glenn,

So, "closed(1) and opend(0)" are OK on the 1 min data compression? Are these what you are using?

Thanks Again,

Steve

Hi Steve
No, I use Close[1] and Open because of the way I've coded it to stop looking once the first bar is complete. I did it in a rush without being aware of all the functions available.
I'm sure that closed(1) and opend(0)" will operate just as well, if not better.

Cheers
Glenn

I have been working with another trader and because of the oversold conditions as the market was closing it was decided to take a Long position on BHI at $64.40 with the intention of closing the trade in the first few minutes of the open on Thursday. Last time this was done I was unfortunate to get hit with news on the stock I was trading. Let's see if there is greater success this time.

Paul

Trader333 said:
I have been working with another trader and because of the oversold conditions as the market was closing it was decided to take a Long position on BHI at $64.40 with the intention of closing the trade in the first few minutes of the open on Thursday. Last time this was done I was unfortunate to get hit with news on the stock I was trading. Let's see if there is greater success this time.

Closed BHI during the Open at $65.10 for + 70c

Paul
Great Trade Paul,

Looking at the BHI chart it gapped up nicely (on Mar 8th), carried by the Dow with it’s own gap up of 64.0 points. Excellent discipline in following your plan by exiting and taking your profits, since by 9:34 ET the price started to fall. You were correct in the O/S condition of the market – it does rule.

NasTrader

Attachments

• BHI 3-08-07.doc
    40 KB · Views: 35