Old People

Split isn't that old. He only skipped to Spain after the Great Train Robbery so he's not that much older than Biggsy.

Just kidding Split, I'm old enough to be your grandfather.

During a spell teaching computing in the late 1990s, my oldest student was an 84 years old grandmother and although she was learning MS Access databases she'd only come to PCs a short while before.

No problem for her though - but then she had lived through 2 world wars and the 1930s depression so I suppose computing was a doddle in comparison.

I lived through the 'Frisco quake of '06, but I never felt the need to get up to speed with SQL.

Split isn't that old. He only skipped to Spain after the Great Train Robbery so he's not that much older than Biggsy.

And I thought that he was a mate of Drake's and was captured by the Spanish Armada.

Just goes to show how wrong you can be.

During a spell teaching computing in the late 1990s, my oldest student was an 84 years old grandmother and although she was learning MS Access databases she'd only come to PCs a short while before.

No problem for her though - but then she had lived through 2 world wars and the 1930s depression so I suppose computing was a doddle in comparison.

Some how i don't think living through 2 world wars automatically makes you a wizard on the pc. Not trying to cause an argument because living through two world wars must have been tough, but somehow i dont think the two are mutually dependant.

So you want a job in IT. Do you have any previous experience? Well i did live through two world wars.

Sorry Bill and Steve, you didn't live through two world wars, i'm gonna give this job to grandma.

Even though I am below the age of 60, I do not think it fair to guage people as being old when they hit that number.

I have seen young people who I would classify as being old, just by virtue of their lifestyle and attitudes.

25 going 60 is not at all uncommon and these are the people who need pity.

Not the 60 + going 25.

I should think not!! :)

I'm 79 in April. How about a new computer for my birthday? One of those super-duper ones that talk to you in any language.

I'll, probably, have to buy one of those myself. :cry:

I'm 79 in April. How about a new computer for my birthday? One of those super-duper ones that talk to you in any language.

Why do most old people become so out of touch of the real world? I wonder when i'm gonna be like, wtf is going on when i walk outside.

Why not go for the Stephen Hawkin computer, then you dont have to even bother moving your mouth?

Be cheaper (and more fun) to get an Estonian girl. They speak more langauges than you'll ever need, know how many beans make five and can probably sort your sinus problems out in one blow.

Some how i don't think living through 2 world wars automatically makes you a wizard on the pc. Not trying to cause an argument because living through two world wars must have been tough, but somehow i dont think the two are mutually dependant.

So you want a job in IT. Do you have any previous experience? Well i did live through two world wars.

Sorry Bill and Steve, you didn't live through two world wars, i'm gonna give this job to grandma.

:LOL::LOL: of course not!

But seriously, the point is that many older people are actually frightened of computers and new technology, and believe it's all beyond them - (young kids aren't like that because they don't yet "know" any better). The lovely old dear I'm talking about was game for any challenge (well, almost any) and the sort of fears that people did have to overcome during wartime (I know because as a youngster I sometimes earwigged on what what my parents talked about) did make some of life's later challenges seem rather less. I suspect this is something that today's younger generation may not understand until they are older.

As Churchill said: "All we have to fear is fear itself"

I probably did her too. What was her name? There were a couple where I did the mother and the daughter. Did I say I was a bit of a lad?

Ah I heard that story. Apparently you built up the courage to knock on the door after years of struggling with your speech impediment, but pissed your pants before anyone opened the door. I wouldn't call that very ladish but i am from a very different generation.

:LOL::LOL: of course not!

But seriously, the point is that many older people are actually frightened of computers and new technology, and believe it's all beyond them - (young kids aren't like that because they don't yet "know" any better). The lovely old dear I'm talking about was game for any challenge (well, almost any) and the sort of fears that people did have to overcome during wartime (I know because as a youngster I sometimes earwigged on what what my parents talked about) did make some of life's later challenges seem rather less. I suspect this is something that today's younger generation may not understand until they are older.

As Churchill said: "All we have to fear is fear itself"

Well we have the ipad, tablets and kindles now.

Using a computer is now like picking up a book, newspaper or a dirty mag depending on the kind of sites you visit.

Just kidding Split, I'm old enough to be your grandfather.

Really? I always imagined you as younger. We are both survivors, then.

I'm 57.

Never had any problem mastering all sorts of new technology.

Otherwise, I am most grateful for, and humbled by, the gifts which I have received since I passed the age of 40. I would share with you the method of their attainment, but I somehow doubt that a younger person might/would have the patience to proceed.

And here's some entertaining punctuation:

Otherwise, I am most grateful for, and humbled by, the gifts which I have received since I passed the age of 40. I would share with you the method of their attainment, but I somehow doubt that a younger person might/would have the patience to proceed.

Prostrate exams? You can get them younger if you know how to fake the symptoms.

Prostrate exams? You can get them younger if you know how to fake the symptoms.

It's spelled "prostate".

The new technology does include spell-check, but hasn't yet developed the ability to insert something meaningful into a vacuum.

And Nature's not the only one who abhors a vacuum.

Not meaning to be unkind. I'm just sayin'.