OK I have a question.

Does the Earth revolve around the Sun?

• YES!! Duh!

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • NO! The sun revolves around Earth.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • We live in a matrix. There is no sun or earth.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • They both revolve around something else located inside the solar system.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I trade the FX markets 24 hours a day. I have not seen the sun for years.

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. "

I'm starting to believe that a little. All five of the poll answers now have at least one person to pick it.

Last edited:
40% right, looking pretty good. Not sure how many people know what they actually revolve around. (ignore the red herrings!)

40% right, looking pretty good. Not sure how many people know what they actually revolve around. (ignore the red herrings!)

That's a good question that includes more than might first be thought.

The Earth is a planet? Apparently to be a planet it must orbit a star. The Sun seems a good enough star.

Are you sure planets orbit stars? You might be a little surprised at the answer.

No, I believe the question stands as is. And remember If you know don't tell. At least not yet.

If I don't know, I won't tell, either. That would be, really, showing my ignorance.

Actually, I do know, but you will never know that I know.

Hwsteele I can tell you how the next 4 days of your life are going to go should you decide to tread this path:

1) Brambles gets the question incorrect, and asks you a string of irrelevant questions about the topic at hand.
2) Somewhere in the midst of the next 60 pages someone spots the use of a colon in the OP where a semicolon would have been more appropriate, and points it out to you.
3) Brambles then says 'Aha, but if I had known that the OP contained two separate yet related sentences rather than a list or summary of events, of course I would have gone with the other answer'
4) Mr Charts will at this point appear, saying that he of course also knew the correct answer; he was merely sandbagging us all with his vague, noncommittal posts whilst chortling to himself about how clever he is.
5) Brambles and Charts then decide to use the thread (since everyone else has abandoned it) as a mutual adulation/circle-jerk arena, spouting strings of fancy words which they can neither use correctly nor spell.

That should about cover it; if I were you I'd give it the old Cincinnati sidestep.

SL
Not really. steeley has phrased his question not dissimilarly to yours. There was no paradox or ambiguity, nor was there any issue of punctuation. As there wasn’t with yours. Ever. In your case, you simply didn’t understand (still don’t AFAICS) where the trip up was and you, tripped up over it. That’s all. Yours required thought, whereas this one requires either prior knowledge (which I happen to have) or research, which any fool can do, but strangely, few seem to want to.
I know steeley is an intelligent guy and I think he is sufficiently devoid of ego to allow himself to be convinced there is an answer which is more correct than the one he may or may not currently have. You however (and Mr. G unfortunately) appear to be hanging onto a losing trade exhibiting all the signs of numpty traders who keep adding to their losses. That’s OK with me – I’m the other side of you boys trades and doing very nicely thank you.

Let’s see how you do on this one. PM me if you want the answer.

Well I now know that the earth DOES NOT revolve around me! My internet access was down ALL WEEKEND!!! It didn't matter how many times I called the people at the access company. For that matter it didn't matter WHAT I called them either. They just told me that my call was important and my issue would be taken care of as soon as possible. I live in a small town so knowing them they just flipped the wrong switch when leaving for the weekend. You know, turned the internet off instead of the lights!

both the sun and earth revolve around the centre of gravity of the solar system

Our friend teojh hit the nail on the head.
Yah this was one of those questions were you had to have some level of education to get it right. At least a bit of interest in the subject and then some book reading or internet searching.

Since the Sun is so much more massive than the rest of the bodies of the solar system put together, the center of gravity is quite close to the center of the sun. As a result, the planets look like they orbit the sun. The truth is that EVERYTHING in the solar system, including the sun, orbits the center of gravity of all mass in the solar system.

Now this is just the most up to date information we have. Some day we might find that the above is not true.
OR
From a philosophical point of view you could look at the question in many different ways. It could have allot of different answers. Only one answer based on the laws of the physics as we understand them now though.

Is it that the letters c, e, n, f, u and l are not in the word gravity and the letters v and y are not in the word centrifugal :)

Paul