Oil Trading (Crude Light)

FutureBoy

Hello,

I have just started trading outright Oil futures and wanted some opinions on strategies/things to look for. I have moved away from Fixed income (Bund) as the algo was doing me no favours in there and want to move to more of a locals market (even though you are never going to be able to get away from HFT systems!)

Want to give crude a try. There is some good volatility in this contract and its fundamentally driven, which I like, but I have been warned that trading it outright is a dangerous game and its advisable to stick to spread trades.

I am trying to devise some form of strategy to take outright positions in Crude, but not something so mechanical.

I have been looking at a crack spread WTI 3:2:1 to see if this can help give me some entry/exit signals, along with Euro, cable and keeping a relatively tight stop. The thing I like about this market that it trends well.

Has anyone here traded this contract outright? Would you be able to elaborate on crack spreads, your thoughts towards them and what are the main drivers for you as a trader of this product?

Many thanks (y)