nominee accounts-who has the rights?

bullboy8

when shares are held in a nominee account with a share broker, invester do not have voting rights? if the broker holds the shares on our behald does this mean they have the voting rights?

Also, do brokers exercies their rights to vote at AGM'S? or do they not bother. It seems so unfair. thanks

If I remember correctly, you should be able to speak to your broker who will send you confirmation of your entitlement to vote/attend AGMs etc. I'm not absolutely sure about this, but if you give them a call they should sort you out.

thanks for your reply turle trader, i do not own any shares:( can anyone else provide me with more information. I mean, would the broker use proxy voting where they will vote on my behalf whatever they choose to vote? thanks

also, would i be right to say that since the introduction of nominee accounts, it has resulted in a decrease in private investors voting at AGM's?

Last edited:
bullboy8 said:
thanks for your reply turle trader, i do not own any shares:( can anyone else provide me with more information. I mean, would the broker use proxy voting where they will vote on my behalf whatever they choose to vote? thanks

also, would i be right to say that since the introduction of nominee accounts, it has resulted in a decrease in private investors voting at AGM's?
while holding shares in nominee account i was sent all info and voting forms regards take over offer. but think there was extra charge for agm rights.