Ninja Trader

Ninja...

Well, since all fairness, since swithcing to trading "full time" this week (though in simulator mode) I start becoming more and more possed on Ninja.

Some incidents:
* Yesterday during the YM trading session I decided I wanted another graph - 233 tick. Opened it, 2-3 minutes Ninja was processing data. That per se is ok - but during this time all other windows became unresponsive INCLUDING ORDER MANAGEMENT. Yeah, right. I want a chart, I dont possibly want to cancel a market position during that time.
* Try overlaying two indicators with large different ranges - it will use one Y axis. Bad bad bad ;) I have one that calculates a trend indication based on some oscillators - so far the trend indication was easily -2 to 2 (strong down to strong up). The oscillators are +-100. Overlay impossible. More wasted space.
* Whoever programmed it never used many windows. Some have nice titles (like "YM 0609 05/06/2009 (89Tick)"). Well, crap out the date... but at the end I see what is there. Some... have titles like "Sim101" (DOM order management for YM.... on the Sim101 account) and "T & S" (TIme and Sales). If one has multiple of them.... finding them by the bottom window bar is not possibly. I accidentally minimized one DOM.... and had three Lines "Sim101" down in the window list to try to reopen ;)
* OK, simulated trading. I like it. Will move real in 3-4 weeks. Anyhow.... WHEN I am real, I still would possibly want to run some more simulated accounts to forward test different ideas of strategies... all ine separate accounts (because as it happens strategies restarted forget their P&L etc.).... Here comes the catch... Account management is really made to kill one. I just realized NOW how to create another one, but I still have no idea how to put a DOM on it. That points to multipel simulated accounts not being fully supported. Which sucks ;)
* I start being really possed on all the windows. Sorry to say. I get screenshots from Puretick using Tradestation... and I can see how they really manage to organize workspaces very well with... TABS. Yeah. Ninja having one window for everything and relying on Windows window management makes that slow. Nice that I can changea symbol on a chart... what about giving me.... Onw window, multiple "items" on it (dom, chart etc.) and multiple pages to put them. So I can change between layouts AND items fast... Well... dreaming.

In general, the more I work with it, the less I am impressed at the moment ;) I really hope v7 gets a LOT better here ;)

I'm new there as well... but there is an "L" in upper right corner that allows linking... by color and DOM and chart can be linked there and there is a key to toggle between think shiftF5 anyways its in documentation.

:?: I'm not a programer, but want an indicator resembling VSA up thrust and down thrust... very simple but condition thingy in wizard doesnt do it that I can see. Any help appreciated. UPthrust is >= high than previous 2 bars and closing lower 1/3 bar with volume >= previous 1 bar a Down red arrow would be nice
DNthrust is <=low than previous 2 bars closing top 1/3 of the bar with volume>=previous bar. a green up arrow would be nice :?:

any help appreciated, thanks BillyBob

I'm new there as well... but there is an "L" in upper right corner that allows linking... by color and DOM and chart can be linked there and there is a key to toggle between think shiftF5 anyways its in documentation.

I'm not a programer, but want an indicator resembling VSA up thrust and down thrust... very simple but condition thingy in wizard doesnt do it that I can see. Any help appreciated. UPthrust is >= high than previous 2 bars and closing lower 1/3 bar with volume >= previous 1 bar a Down red arrow would be nice
DNthrust is <=low than previous 2 bars closing top 1/3 of the bar with volume>=previous bar. a green up arrow would be nice

any help appreciated, thanks BillyBob

THat was not the point. I use window linking. THe problem is that when I have to minimize one T&S out of 5 that i have open... I can not see in the windows window manager which is which because they have all the same title. This is a little better in WIn 7 as you can see small pictures of the windows, but for T&S that is useless, too (too small to read the text and all T&S look too similar).

In general, the UI in Ninja sucks - tons of windows, instead of a smaller number of windows with "gadgets" on it representing different things. Well ;)

No idea for the indicator, but if you contact me via pmail I may be able to just hammer it in manually (i think the stupid wizard is not good anyway) and you can then get it (free, sounds easy and interesting enough for me to use).