New to trading and saying hi

slothagus

Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on here for a while, I thought I would post now.

I've been trading for a couple of months, started in March, so a good time to start! Although I haven't increased my investment as much as I should have, given the way things went, but then isn't that all part of the learning curve. What held me back from sticking with investments was a belief that the massive rebound would end soon as things aren't really getting that better, and things haven't been corrected yet, the problems have just been prelonged. Anyway it's just my view on things.

So in the short period I've been doing it I've learnt about reading charts, looking for trends, following news and results to see how it effects stocks.

I've now started to look at the possibility of trading CFD's and FX. I'm still reading about them to learn about how they work.

I have a few questions about them:

Leverage and margin, do you have to use them when placing a CFD trade? who decides the values?

I would like to be able to short an equity but using 1:1 leverage and 100% margin, forgive me if I've wrote that wrong, but basically I want to use my fund lets say £10,000 and short a stock, only risking what money I have to lose.

What is a good trading platform in the UK?

Are there any trading platform in the UK for micro investing? - Reading through this forum I came across people saying there are providers who let you invest and the risk is less when you are starting because the P/L is much smaller, or is this only in the US, or have I just imagined something :LOL:

I'm still learning and practicing my trading, all help appreciated.

Maybe a limited risk account is the answer...

Although some companies let you set your leverage levels, there will tend to always be some level of leverage especially with FX. In fact this leverage is one of the main reasons people use CFDs/FX because it allows them to open large positions very capital efficiently. Obviously it's risky too.

If you want to go down the CFD route, a number of top providers (e.g. IG Markets - and no I have no affiliation with them) offer limited risk trading accounts, where you only ever risk the money you put in. It might be of interest to you. Just keep in mind that trading isn't a guaranteed route to easy money, it takes time and discipline.

If you feel like you need a refresher on the fundamentals of sound trading, we've got some useful articles on our website, feel free to browse through them.

Good luck with your trading!