New England Manager

Give it to Stewart "Psycho" Pearce. He played for England 78 times and spent many years learning from the best there was, Brian Clough. Might not have the managerial experience of the other English managers but playing that many times for England is more important than managing a team that hasn't won the premier league or the FA cup.

If more experience is required, why not have Bobby Robson and Stewart Pearce?

I think we should have a woman as England manager.

Jordan might get them revved up but she would probably make a big boob of it.

I am truly surprised at the high level expectation in the World Cup.

It doesnt matter who manages England.
England does not have the talent to be a world-class team.
If we had a "british" team, including NI, Scots and Welsh players, perhaps we have a better chance to be knocked out later in the tournament.

Dont mind me, lets just let jingoism blind ourselves to the sad fact we are crap. :) :) :)
The only real competition going on is who sells the most football-related records.
Will Tony Christie will again ?

trendie said:

If we had a "british" team, including NI, Scots and Welsh players, perhaps we have a better chance to be knocked out later in the tournament.

Dont mind me, lets just let jingoism blind ourselves to the sad fact we are crap. :) :) :)
The only real competition going on is who sells the most football-related records.

I disagree actually! We have an unlimited amount of talented players who can compete with the best. I personally - and the players and most of the country - would like an English manager and get some of that old Blighty spirit back. Up the Empire and all that! When will people realise that the FA contains just as many wallies as the local golf club and don't deserve the hallowed respect they currently enjoy. When I was young.....

hmm what about good old David Pleat? saw a few Luton Town games in the 80's, reminds me a bit like cloughie for some reason.... either that or Vinnie Jones ! :) I know but be good fun to watch, stretchers galore....... escape to victory with two barrels. good heavens.

The Job Who wants it? this one could end up on the job centre notice boards...

come on England........ # " footballs coming home.".. etc....... :) hmm

I sincerely hope that England do not win the World Cup.

If they do, then the overpaid morons who play for England will be 1,000 times more insufferable than they already are.

I don't think that there is much to worry about though as kick and rush tactics never work against real football teams.

chicken curry your a slur to your surname name man ! terrible attitude chap.... change it at once to
chicken pot noodle. euro 96? ahh that was a time of high united national spirits, jollyness and beer........ :)

As far as the FA... well, their handling of Scolari with the media is nothing short of amateurish, and by the fact they have already displayed the intention to select a person by channelling through the media, a person who can only of given no more than a gentleman's word that he would take up the post as he is currently contracted sums the whole situation up. The person who is actually appointed now is going to know they are not the first choice, hardly the recipe for a watertight foundation to build upon in terms of respect, trust, media analysis etc etc.

My personal choice is that Big Sam should be given the job, however apparently Trevor Brooking who is on the panel of selectors does not like him because of a historical slur. The England managers job needs a large personality, and well, BIG SAM says it all. He has proven he can bind together a decent team with somewhat limited resources, and I think the players these days like to have a kind of "father figure" for a manager. Sven performs that task admirably..., and I think BIG SAM can do a decent job for England out of the people that have been touted.

Oh dear, I hope Wayne Rooney aint crocked, that will almost certainly put an end to what I consider as the best chance to win this competition ever.

:OPPORTUNIST THOUGHT:

I might start backing England and ply a world cup swing bet based on the media frenzy of whether Rooney will make it or not :)

Last edited:
Rooney is crocked but he is well over-rated anyway and his bird most certainly is.

Joe Cole is England's main man.

At least he conducts himself with some degree of decorum in public and doesn't get caught with 48 year old grannies in establishments of dubious repute.

And I still think that Katie Price should be the next England coach.

Or should I substitute bicycle for coach ?

trendie said:

You must be watching a different sport. This is about football. :cheesy:

Chicken Curry, Rooney is over-rated ? Joe Cole is England's main man ? Joe Cole is excellent, Rooney is most certainly England's main man....

Are you a Chelsea fan ? You do live in Manchester so that appears quite possible, considering most Man U fans live in London. ;)

oatman said:
You must be watching a different sport. This is about football. :cheesy:

Stick to trading trendie, as your footballing analysis endears what could be described as displaying feminine quality !!! :cheesy:

DT, it remains to be seen who is England's main man.

In 1966 Jimmy Greaves was reckoned to be the main man but it turned out that dark horse Geoff Hurst became the main man.

I just think that Joe Cole has the ability to upstage everyone, including Rooney, provided his bones heal in time which looks somewhat doubtful.

Quite frankly, I don't really care.

I'll be glad when the whole thing is over and the trophy is safely locked away in a display cabinet in Rio de Janeiro or Berlin.

DepthTangent said:
Stick to trading trendie, as your footballing analysis endears what could be described as displaying feminine quality !!! :cheesy:

Take that face-paint off, and say that again ! :cheesy: :cheesy:

How about starting the search again and choosing someone who has experianced international football as a player, is well respected with no skeletons in the cupboard, is young enough to take on board new ideas, and has just gained promotion with hardly any resources...and is English

Steve Coppell

someone mentioned David Pleat, must be a relative, could you imagine the stories that would come out

Didn't Steve Coppell once resign, after just a few weeks, because he was stressed out? Probably couldn't cope with the stress of the England job.

deepete said:
How about starting the search again and choosing someone who has experianced international football as a player, is well respected with no skeletons in the cupboard, is young enough to take on board new ideas, and has just gained promotion with hardly any resources...and is English

Terry Venables ?

Humour aside, I think a manager is selected as he is essentially considered the best in the business, so appointing someone who is young enough to take on new idea's is IMO inappropriate for the top job. Thats what lower league club level management is all about.

No skeletons in cupboard and Terry Venables was not what I had in mind, good point about Steve Coppell quiting a job after a few weeks but we werent privy to his job description and the inerference that may have gone on.

We have tried the so called best in the business without success, we just need a motivator to bring the best out of our top players without messing around with ex weather girls, fake sheiks, hypnotists and long firms.