Need help finding an online Broker

it depends on what you are looking for. For my purposes they have been excellent eg they have good ActiveX API / FIX connectivity, not many brokers offer that.

rog1111

Livermore said:
IB good?? :rolleyes:

rog1111 said:
it depends on what you are looking for. For my purposes they have been excellent eg they have good ActiveX API / FIX connectivity, not many brokers offer that.

rog1111

OK. I don't like their trading station, and I heard a lot of complains about bad service... :(

Livermore said:
BT,

How much do you pay for trading futures?
USA Futures $5.00 R/T Yes you can get cheaper. But I know I can always get out quick if there are any problems. You can also trade their account, No need to give you account number. You just say sell s&p and you are filled. They will then put in profit or loss in to your own account the next day. That's one option you got with them

IB are pretty competitive for US stocks and options. $0.005 per share with a $1 min and a 0.2% of trade value max, for example. Options are $0.75 per contract, min $1. Their 'trader workstation' is a bit clunky but there are several cheap front ends you can bolt on using their API if you wish.

They're quite expensive for futures though, especially so if you do >400 turns a month. That's only 20 lots a day, so not just a concern of the ludicrously busy size scalper.

If you do a lot of turns (futures) it may be worth looking at someone like Transact, Velocity or perhaps GNI in the UK (and then leasing or buying a seat on the relevant exchange) to really slice the commissions down towards the $1 mark. A little haggling will usually serve you well.

That said, for making a few stock trades per day I cannot really fault IB. I've never had any problems with their platform stability, routing, fills or service. That's not to say that others haven't, mind you. Also their data feed is delivered in snapshot form and does not represent 'the truest' picture of the market, but this is not necessarily an issue unless every tick is vital.

badtrader and frugi,

Thanks for info. PS. Who's the best/cheapest Eurex (Dax) broker?

badtrader said:
USA Futures $5.00 R/T Yes you can get cheaper. But I know I can always get out quick if there are any problems. You can also trade their account, No need to give you account number. You just say sell s&p and you are filled. They will then put in profit or loss in to your own account the next day. That's one option you got with them

BT,

I looked at the website of Berkeley Futures, but I could't find any info about commissions or margin for trading Dax. Do you know that?

How much cash is needed to open an ib account. how many stocks can be traded at once??

Millsy

Chorlton said:
Hi All,

I'm after so information regarding online Brokers.

Due to my style of trading, I am unable to constantly monitor my trades during the day and thus having automatic stop losses, entry & exit points is vital for me. ie. Should I have a trade which reaches my preferred exit point, I would like the trade to automatically close allowing me to take profits. Same for the stop losses otherwise I risk running a losing trade!!!

I am currently able to do this via Spread Betting but are there any online brokers out there who offer the same kind of facilities??

I'm currently using ETrade and even though I am happy with the service they provide, I am unable to place stop losses, entry or exit points in advance. Therefore, I keep ending up in a situation where I am unable to take profits, or close trades immediately after my stop loss level is reached :(

Consequently, can anyone recommend an online broker which might offer these facilities??

Many Thanks,

Chorlton

iF you are using http://www.etradespreadbetting.com
then this allows what you want. After creating an order ,click on IF DONE and then you can specify a stop loss and limit order in advance so dont know what the problem is?

DESKPRO said:
iF you are using http://www.etradespreadbetting.com
then this allows what you want. After creating an order ,click on IF DONE and then you can specify a stop loss and limit order in advance so dont know what the problem is?

I have no problem placing stops & order limits when spreadbetting but I'm looking for these facilities when I actually purchase shares. The last time I looked ETrade didn't offer these facilities unless you are spreadbetting with them.

Chorlton said:
I have no problem placing stops & order limits when spreadbetting but I'm looking for these facilities when I actually purchase shares. The last time I looked ETrade didn't offer these facilities unless you are spreadbetting with them.

I see ....this company allows what you want to do

http://www.squaregain.co.uk/

(used to be COMDIRECT)

roguetrader said:
Unfortunately it's a "class act" that is unavailable to the majority of posters on this board, being esident in the UK, unless they have changed their policy recently

Hi everyone

I;d like to recommend Genesis Securities in NYC..

many UK guys are trading there now with me, i have a group there and the Laser Platform is just sensational...

you can get a glimpse of our layout on my small web site at

www.buyitbuyitsellitsellit.com t this is no spam folks.

one of the UK guys took there platform and made it special for scalpers and daytraders like you would not believe...

hope this helps

regards