my situation

Very useful, indeed these replies changed my perspective of trading, I will buy a basic day trading book and go through it first.
But I have to add that in IT is different in this case as we get training in IT to learn new skills and sharpen the CV :) but I agree that here there is no CV also there are lot people in this field who are trying to rob me of my money as I got lot of pm's offering trading training for money after this post.

and re: courses and mentors and all that stuff - you have to be lucky to find a good one, most of them are scams, the only genuine ones I heard of were the Turtle Traders and that sort of Big Brother style stockbroking reality TV series last year. The others one out there where you can just put down your money - hmmm, be very wary. It's true that when you can't do, you teach, and it's not necessary to be a profitable trader to teach someone to trade successfully, but still, there's no end to the parasites and scamsters loitering around to cream off some froth.

( I know the show you mean, I first realised I wanted to become a trader after watching that show! :D )

Regarding the point about paying for face-to-face tuition. They can cost several grand and alot of the information they teach you can be found on this forum for free. I remember going to a free trading seminar once. The speaker was attempting to sell his coaching course throughout the seminar and somebody asked the speaker what the course would involve. I remember looking at the course content and thinking to myself, 'Hold on, I already know about money management, trade discipline, indicators, R;R etc through the internet. That's saved me 6k then :D'

I know some people on here have asked you think carefully about becoming a trader, but if I were you, I'd keep the money I would have spent on trading courses and use that money to trade. The experience and the mistakes you make (and learn from) live trading will put you in a much better position than from any training course you buy.

Hi Guys,

I am a middleaged [about 35] professional who want to start trading and take this job as a full time profession, I dont have any experiance in trading but I am reasonably successful in IT. I have initial investiment of about 50k pounds that I am planning to put for trading.

My constraints are:
1. Limited time for analysis [about 2 hrs every day] at the moment as I have a full time job and I dont want to leave the job till I become reasonably successful by that I mean I earn 50% of what I am earning in current job.
2. I have a reasonable success in general stocks investing and I profited from the downturn but have not done any day trading or spread betting so no experiance at all in trading.

Can you please suggest if fast track part time trading training will help me start getting into trading faster?

Also I went to some trading training seminars but I found them quiet expensive, I know I can read the books and start but I want to know what experiance others have and how they approached the problem or if they can advice me so that I do it differently.

I dont think 2 hours of analysis each day will really be enough too be honest with you mate.. it really is a full time role.. I spend at least 10 hours a day in front of my screens.. my wife considers herself a "trading widow".. luckily she understands!.. if you find a free training course to learn the mechanics of trading that would be good but dont bother paying for any service that tells you they will show you how to make money!.. you are welcome to roll by my office if you like and I could show you the basics (PM me if you like).. there is no easy money to be made in trading but it is great fun when it is going well.. and a nightmare when it is not! good luck!

Hi Guys,

I am a middleaged [about 35] professional who want to start trading and take this job as a full time profession, I dont have any experiance in trading but I am reasonably successful in IT. I have initial investiment of about 50k pounds that I am planning to put for trading.

My constraints are:
1. Limited time for analysis [about 2 hrs every day] at the moment as I have a full time job and I dont want to leave the job till I become reasonably successful by that I mean I earn 50% of what I am earning in current job.
2. I have a reasonable success in general stocks investing and I profited from the downturn but have not done any day trading or spread betting so no experiance at all in trading.

Can you please suggest if fast track part time trading training will help me start getting into trading faster?

Also I went to some trading training seminars but I found them quiet expensive, I know I can read the books and start but I want to know what experiance others have and how they approached the problem or if they can advice me so that I do it differently.

So you are ‘about’ 35? I bet it feels like only yesterday that you turned 30 and that the last 5 years has flown by...you are now looking back at 30...hard to believe, especially when there was once a time when you thought 30 was old... am I right? Read through the article below which IMO accurately describes the process most traders go through on their long and winding path to success.

One day, sometime in the future, you will discover that you are at around stage 36 of the 38 steps. It will be around this time that you will also look at your kids and notice that they are much older than they were the last time you took the time to notice them...you will also notice many more grey hairs on your head and while you are sitting at your computer you will glance at a calendar and realise that it is your birthday next week and you won’t believe that you will be that old...You never imagined it would take so long to get to where you are...It will seem like only yesterday you read this.

38 Steps To Becoming A Trader

1. We accumulate information - buying books, going to seminars and researching.
2. We begin to trade with our 'new' knowledge.
3. We consistently 'donate' and then realize we may need more knowledge or information.
4. We accumulate more information.
5. We switch the commodities we are currently following.
6. We go back into the market and trade with our 'updated' knowledge.
7. We get 'beat up' again and begin to lose some of our confidence.

Fear starts setting in.

8. We start to listen to 'outside news' and to other traders.
9. We go back into the market and continue to 'donate'.
10. We switch commodities again.
11. We search for more information.
12. We go back into the market and start to see a little progress.
13. We get 'over-confident' and the market humbles us.
14. We start to understand that trading successfully is going to take more time and more knowledge than we anticipated.

Most people will give up at this point, as they realize work is involved.

15. We get serious and start concentrating on learning a 'real' methodology.
16. We trade our methodology with some success, but realize that something is missing.
17. We begin to understand the need for having rules to apply our methodology.
18. We take a sabbatical from trading to develop and research our trading rules.
19. We start trading again, this time with rules and find some success, but over all we still hesitate when it comes time to execute.
20. We add, subtract and modify rules as we see a need to be more proficient with our rules.
21. We feel we are very close to crossing that threshold of successful trading.
22. We start to take responsibility for our trading results as we understand that our success is in us, not the methodology.
23. We continue to trade and become more proficient with our methodology and our rules.
24. As we trade we still have a tendency to violate our rules and our results are still erratic.
25. We know we are close.
26. We go back and research our rules.
27. We build the confidence in our rules and go back into the market and trade.
28. Our trading results are getting better, but we are still hesitating in executing our rules.
29. We now see the importance of following our rules as we see the results of our trades when we don't follow the rules.
30. We begin to see that our lack of success is within us (a lack of discipline in following the rules because of some kind of fear), and we begin to work on knowing ourselves better.
31. We continue to trade and the market teaches us more and more about ourselves.
32. We master our methodology and our trading rules.
33. We begin to consistently make money.
34. We get a little over-confident and the market humbles us.
35. We continue to learn our lessons.
36. We stop thinking and allow our rules to trade for us (trading becomes boring, but successful) and our trading account continues to grow as we increase our contract size.
37. We are making more money than we ever dreamed possible.
38. We go on with our lives and accomplish many of the goals we had always dreamed of.

Those 38 steps are awesome, first saw them a couple of years back ... it's the nearest thing to holding a mirror up to our evolution as traders that we're going to get. Anyone reach no. 38 yet??

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I want to quit my day job because I want more flexibility like working from home which I think trading will give to me.
I can day trade from my office so I can do trading whole day as such and yes I have wife and childrens etc so Takeing more than 2 hours will be difficult for me but I can manager some days of the week.
Also yes I madem money by remaining long on the stocks that I thought will do better and they did outstandly well and I think it's just because of luck.
More importent question is should I jon some trader training becuase this is my personal thinking that face to face teaching and investing into education is a better start than reading books and trawling thru websites for the info.
I think training will give me head start and then I can sharpen my skills using books and valuable websites like trade2win etc.

What do you guys think?

I think you should keep your job. Reed through some good books and open a demo account. Do trading that way and if consistently taking profit for three months go for a real account. 50K account would be inappropriate for somebody new to trading (in trading there is no limit as how much one can lose or win). It would be better to open 5k account. Then apply strict risk rules - max 1% risk per each trade (stops compulsory), limit number of trades per week (chose after how many losing trades per week you should stop trading for the rest of the week).
If opening an account with a spread betting company you should be aware that you can lose more than your initial deposit (i.e. it's possible to open 5k account and lose 50k if you don't use stop losses)
A big percentage of new traders don't make it through the first year (I've heard somewhere round 90%). So it's good to be prepared for the worst - blowing your account before realising you may not be best suited to trading profession.

Good luck!

36. We stop thinking and allow our rules to trade for us (trading becomes boring, but successful) and our trading account continues to grow as we increase our contract size.

I think this is particularly poignant - successful trading is boring, you know what can happen and you already have a plan to deal with any situation - so you follow the script repetitively, again and again and again.

Good golf is boring as well, drive, iron, 2 putt, move on to next hole. I've been reading "Your 15th Club" by Bob Rotella, the aim is to improve the mental side of your game. It reminds me of "Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas.. there are several overlaps. Another comment in "15" is that the subconscious will help you play to the (lack of) ability you believe you have.. this struck me as similar to the famous Seykota quote "everyone gets what they want from the market".

[snipped].. this struck me as similar to the famous Seykota quote "everyone gets what they want from the market".

I find Ed Seykota increasingly annoying for his trite little adages and truisms. The big problem is, how the hell do you know what you want from the market before it lands in your lap?

Yeah, first time I read Wizards I liked the Seykota section, but when I re-read it I thought "what a t-t".

However I think the way it works is this --- your subconscious is fed a continual diet of negativity by the conscious. Your conscious mind clearly doesn't want to fail as such, but your subconscious only knows what it has been told and helps you fulfill that "secret" desire.

If you convince yourself you're always going to lose money, your subconscious will help you do that. The parallel in golf is if you're (e.g.) a 18 handicapper and find yourself level after 9 holes, your subconscious will help you f-ck up the back 9.

According to Ed I would assume that majority on new traders are masochists.

I think that might be right. We're taught from an early age not to harm other people, so the only one left to harm is ourselves. Trading allows us limitless scope for self-harm, perhaps that's what the Great One was alluding to.

I'd be interested to read his book "The Trading Tribe" but it's a bit pricey at $150 !!

Didn't Seykota also write one called "The Jade Window"? It's quoted in Market Wizards but I never found it on Amazon.

Don't know. Did find an article where he states that bet sizes and money management are more important that entries and exits.