My, €4.1k to €227k in 2 years, journal.

I can't see much point in just continuing to pour scorn and/or issuing dire warnings about what benj is up to, because he is clearly not going to listen (assuming he's serious and not just winding us up of course :)).

Although he has to find his own salvation in the end, wouldn't it be more constructive to give him a few pointers of how to go about it - he might, at least, listen to those.

Or are we just happy to sit on the river bank yah booing and watching him drown?

Using that analogy, never mind being thrown a lifeline, he's been given enough
info to build his own boat.
His problem if he can't take it in or understand it.

As for the coin toss remark, never ceases to amaze me how people can dismiss
a very simple learning aid that can also form part of prop trader training,
and even be a viable method in its own right.

I'd swear people actually buy into all this analysis crap, despite the fact that
the same people also usually have strike rates of 40-60%, or returns lower than 1 risk (hence analysis is shown not to work all the time, or dare I say even be random...).

Any form of analysis is still just a random reason for entry, nothing more.
No matter how much you kid yourself, that is the case.
Various forms of anaylsis can give you greater accuracy or higher probability,
NOTHING will ever produce a successful profitable trade every time though will it.
So whats the difference between that and a random coin toss?

Its also still quite likely he's taking the p!ss,
but I'm willing to suspend disbelief :)

I am talking about a coin toss. As the basis for developing an edge its light years beyond anything you'll see being discussed at the zoo.

Logically that can't be right, hare. If, at any point, a coin toss has a 50/50 chance of "predicting" up or down, then so must the "set up" that arrived at that point.

I'd swear people actually buy into all this analysis crap, despite the fact that
the same people also usually have strike rates of 40-60%, or returns lower than 1 risk (hence analysis is shown not to work all the time, or dare I say even be random...).

NOTHING will ever produce a successful profitable trade every time though will it.

Hi LV, while I agree that most of the time analysis is BS, but if it is explained clearly with reason as why something should happen, and the end result is that it does happen (80% + of the time) would you still have the same stance. Or will you accept that some people can do certain things that others cannot, and probably never will?

For example I have just posted this on an ES thread. Quite clearly with reason, and an entry area (far from random, but thats another issue, as it may appear random to most). I have enough data to tell me this has an 80% + chance of playing out. (Should I get my fill prior)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It really depends on who are the longer term players you are referring to?

Its Independence Day, hence the lower volumes about, which is good for those in the know, for the reason they know;). But this move was planned a while ago, with the knowledge of the above and the plan of off loading on a high for when the non-farms get released.

So whatever the result of the non farms, we will be trading above the 1358 level on Sept ES into and off the release.

So any dip prior (below 1360 level) is a high probability buy play to the upside. Could be at least 15-20 full ES points on the cards for this one.

Lets see it we get the price.

Just a waiting game now :eek:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no objection to anyone having their own opinion, as long as it is based on fact, and not unproven theories, which people have not had the time or intention to be "bothered to dig deeper".

I totally agree with your points regarding a coin toss being helpful to developing a trader's methodology, but none of it means anything without understanding the whole market concept from A to Z, and then carrying on beyond that point as one progresses. This is obviously only relevant to a few, but it is relevant never the less.

Bottom line; it depends on what level of trading you aspire to be at, and working out how you are going to get there.

Thanks

Wallstreet, what you are driving at is covered by the blue highlight in my post you quoted.
Just to be clear, I agree with the bulk of what you say 100%.

We both agree analysis does not, and can not work all the time.
We both agree that the sort of in depth stuff you are driving at does provide
greater accuaracy as I said earlier.
I also agree that some people can do things other can't
I don't agree that because you can means you have to.

The only thing we disagree on is what I said being based on fact.
I also disagree on aspiring to be at a certain level means, that apparently
low rent methods are just a stepping stone.
I also don't agree that more analysis and greater market understanding are
essential (that does not mean I think its of no benefit, far from it).
I only aspire to making money.

Again, I reiterate:
I agree with the bulk of what you say 100%.

Logically that can't be right, hare. If, at any point, a coin toss has a 50/50 chance of "predicting" up or down, then so must the "set up" that arrived at that point.

Prediction doesn't come into it.
Both case you mention share the same principle.
Probability.

Not sure what the disagreement is then?

nothing really, I just thought that saying a coin toss was better than other things was illogical that's all. If the market is random to the extent that a coin toss gives a 50/50 probability of the next movement at any point in time, then the probability of the next movement at the time your set-up tells you to enter must also be 50/50.

What you point to, though, is the importance of money management is it not?

nothing really, I just thought that saying a coin toss was better than other things was illogical that's all. If the market is random to the extent that a coin toss gives a 50/50 probability of the next movement at any point in time, then the probability of the next movement at the time your set-up tells you to enter must also be 50/50.

What you point to, though, is the importance of money management is it not?

Exactly.
No one is saying a coin toss is better or something great.
The point is a coin toss can quite often be no worse than typical analysis :)
For someone new it can quite often be better.

The one benefit a coin toss based methodology does offer is consistency
if applied the right way.

Last edited:
Anyway, thats enough from me on this.
There is plenty in this thread already.

A member off here (shall remain nameless) sent me this thing called a "backtest". He reckons its from a "robust" method - whatever that means. Anyone got an opinion on it?

Attachments

• Atest.png
    Atest.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 186