Multiple Nicks - Let's Take a Look

dc2000,

The point i made was that he gave permission. He explicitly went out of his way to grant permission.

That permission was like checking the check box to show his email address on this site.

I have to agree Brambles home address should not have been given out. That is maybe a breach of the Data Protection Act and probably could be worth £10,000+ to Bramble.

T2W could have been more generalistic in the information put on the post.

However people using multiple Nics need to be stopped, and people who abuse others need to be stopped.

Others have told me that Bramble alledgedly trashed Socrates and Mr Charts. If that is the case he should be banned. Multiple Nics wouldn't then be an issue.

JonnyT

donaldduke said:
dc2000,

The point i made was that he gave permission. He explicitly went out of his way to grant permission.

That permission was like checking the check box to show his email address on this site.

Bramble has a case. Even if he gave permission to do this there are ways and means to give it to the account holder and only the account holder.

The identity was not attained or confirmed for this information to be publicly published, which again is another point. It is only to be given to the account holder or other person authorised on the account and as such should not be published publicly without the explicit permission to do so. The facility is given for individuals to do this themselves in the profile section.

In it up to ones neck springs to mind

Okay hopefully I can put an end to this thread. I've been out of the country since Saturday so I've only just read through it this afternoon.

Let me try and define the policy of the site on the issues raised.

The reasons for not permitting multiple accounts

As covered in the new site guidelines:

1.1 Members are permitted to have only one account each. If you forget your login details or wish to change your user name then email T2W for help, please do not simply re-register. Anyone found using multiple accounts will be warned and have all additional accounts deleted. Further violations of this rule will result in the member being banned.

This is perhaps a simplification of the issue, but really shouldn't need to be analysed on a word by word basis. What we're saying is that quite clearly we don't want multiple nicks because we want to avoid the possibility of members deceiving other members by pretending to be two or more people. It's a simple as that and makes perfect common-sense.

Sure, we get members who register multiple times, either because they've forgotten their old login details, or because of some technicality of the registration process that made them think they didn't register successfully when in fact they did. This sort of thing does happen, and clearly although it comes under the definition of multiple accounts: there's nothing wrong per se with it, except of course it's artificially inflating our member count, the user will probably receiving two emails of everything and because it brings into question the intent (even when no wrongdoing is actually taking place) and therefore we would just rather it didn't happen for these reasons. In most cases I as the administrator would either delete the old one, if no posts were made - or merge the two accounts together, whatever makes sense.

It's when members are registering multiple time AND posting on the forums or on private messaging, possibly at the same, with an intent to deceive that we clearly have a responsibility to take action to protect you as members.

Identifying multiple nicks

The pros and cons of using IP addresses alone has already been discussed, and I'm acutely aware of this. There are certain other methods available to us, performing a whois on their registered email address, but there are others which I won't go into otherwise it will be so much easier to circumvent them. But no method is completely infallible, unless I actually went round people's houses and watched them log in, I'm not ever going to be 100% sure. But clearly if the various methods available all point to the same thing, that someone is using multiple nicks to deceive, then we have to weigh up the possibility of being wrong, with the possibility of allowing a known deceiver on the site we have to err on the side of caution and protect out members.

Discussing individuals and personal information

Regardless of whether or not TheBramble invited the moderators to post publicly information regarding multiple nicks, or whether the whois information is in the public domain or not, posting personal identification information about members I can categorically say is not the policy of this website and the information about TheBramble should never have been posted by a representative of the website. Ultimately I have to take responsibility for this as the moderators are simply guided by the procedures that I put down (or lack of them!) - and therefore clearly there is a failure on my part to ensure the appropriate action required is taken - so please accept my apologies TB for revealing personal information about you on the site.

Also may I add, the policy of the site is not for site administrators to discuss privileged information about individual members either on the forums or through private messaging. In future I would urge members who have concerns about the intentions of particular members to contact either myself or the site moderators directly. The forums aren't the place to discuss this publicly. Quite clearly this leads to confusion and wrongful accusations - I'd also ask DaveJB to accept my apologies for the wrongful association with Zenda, who I can categorically state are not the same person.

Action taken on members found to be using deceitfully multiple nicks

This is stated in the guidelines 1.1 as.. "anyone found using multiple accounts will be warned and have all additional accounts deleted. Further violations of this rule will result in the member being banned." This should be qualified by 11.4 which states "In exceptional circumstances, and at the discretion of the site moderators, members may be immediately and permanently banned." It all depends on the seriousness of the actions taken, and the only workable solution is to leave this to the discretion of the site staff, bearing in mind the particulars of the situation. As always may common-sense prevail.

To conclude..

Evidently whenever a suspicion arises of wrongdoing this needs to be acted on immediately as a priority, and so that we can confidently say that we are unaware of anyone using the site in this fraudulent manner. I would concede that in the past we've failed to act promptly enough (either through lack of technical support on my part, or simply lack of time, or resources, or not giving it sufficient priority) and therefore I find myself in the situation of defending the actions of the site, clarifying the policy and apologising for mistakes made. I fully appreciate this is not in the interests of the site or community, and hopefully having learned from our mistakes we won't make the same ones again. Finally, let me assure you that I'll take a fresh look at the status of mulitple accounts and that by the end of this week, ALL member accounts that appear to be multiples WILL be acted upon.

Understandably, the investigations into the usage of multiple nicks on the site has taken up quite a bit of time. But I can now confirm that ALL members found to have been using multiple accounts have been contacted and appropriate action is underway.

Duplicate nicks will either be merged or banned, and some members may be banned outright. We're also considering whether to publish our list publically in an effort to 'name and shame'.

People might use multiple nicknames for different reasons, some relatively innocent, some less so, but there is always an element of deception. While you can obviously identify "all members found to have been using multiple accounts" It is probably impossible to definitely identify all people using multiple nicknames but if you have strong suspicions you could have a special page for "suspected multiple nicks" and simply list the equivalent nicks e.g. Sharky = chump = robq.. Then you could have another thread for indignant denials!

robq

...and another page to buy the firelighters on, so that he angry mob will never be short of the flaming brands so essential to a decent mob scene.
I think 'daveb' is an unused version of my account - apparently opened a couple of years back and never used (I've looked everywhere, I appear to be the only me living here), so if it's still going it needs removing.

On a more serious point the 'naming' of anyone, for anything, should come AFTER email contact has been established, as the user might well be innocent - I was - and the use of multiple nicks IS seen as shady... challenging in public is not the correct way to open a discussion aimed at resolving apparent problems.
Dave
(Oh the shame, the ignominy...)

I bet everyone who has been visiting this site regularly, whether to read or sometimes write, and only using one name - wants to see the names published. I do too. And yes, it is a bit like sitting in the bleachers during the French Revolution watching the heads fall.

The excitement! Bring on the tumbrels!

Name and shame if you have irifutable evidence.

JonnyT
PeterMendleson
Gazza
BigWilly
WisePranker
Iusedtobeafool
IainMcCullock
ShaneyBabe
Fourteen
Sharky1
ChartmanOne
Skippy
BasilBrush
Darlek

Dave, I agree wholeheatedly, before naming anyone we have to be sure that we've got our facts correct. I've messaged everyone who I consider to be using multiple nicks and given them an opportunity to reply.

The purpose of this exercise is not to make this into a witch hunt! So let's all put our weapons down shall we. But I do hope we're sending a clear message to everyone who uses these forums, that we will no longer tolerate actions that breach our site guidelines. If you don't play by the rules (that are there protect our members), then you won't be welcome on this site. It's as simple as that.

Finally let me put this into perspective. Out of 20K+ members, there have been only really a handful of cases, most have been spammers - so please don't start thinking this is a widespread problem, because it isn't. It's just a few isolated cases.