Motivation to keep going when you thought of quitting - View Link

Hi,

Its great that these videos are generating such open debate, the main objective is if just one person gains a benefit in any way such as adding a tad more determination to continue trading when they may have given up then its been worthwhile.

Cheers

Phil

Hi,

Its great that these videos are generating such open debate, the main objective is if just one person gains a benefit in any way such as adding a tad more determination to continue trading when they may have given up then its been worthwhile.

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Totally agree. BTW, how did you find the original video? What did you get from it?

CV,

I guess there is always that possiblility, i.e. mis-diagnosis. It would seem however that diagnosis of 1st and 2nd vertibrae breaks are pretty conclusive.

It seems to me that there is perhaps one startling difference beetween Morris Goodman and Christopher Reeve in that Goodman never contemplated not walking out of the hospital on his own two feet whilst Reeve had to be persuaded by his wife that he shouldn't be taken off life support and allowed to die.

Unfortunately, as we know, he actually died from secondary complications but was apparently starting to regain some feeling.

Hi Sandpiper,
Just about to hit 'submit reply' when there was a power cut! Just one of the drawbacks of living on the edge of Dartmoor.
Interesting. I actually think it's a great video (considerably better than the clips from the Miracle Man film on his website. Do you know if this YouTube clip is from a new film. I can't see reference to it on his site?
Sorry, no idea. The original film I saw was at the motivational rally I went to in the early 90's. The MC introduced Morris Goodman on stage after the film, which was a shock to everyone in the audience as he wasn't on the programme. St. John's ambulance had their hands full that day with people fainting and being overcome with emotion left, right and centre. Great theatre. Prior to his accident, Morris Goodman was a hugely successful life insurance salesman and he sure made full use of his sales talents after it. I doubt there was a single person in the audience (a packed NEC, Birmingham) who didn't buy his book and his collection of motivational tapes as well. I must have spent the best part of £100 myself that day! Cynics and critics will ague that it was all just a slick - and possibly sick - marketing exercise. I would agree with that up to a point. But I - and everyone else - only bought into it because Goodman is a most remarkable man with a story worth telling that inspires other people to overcome adversity in their lives.
In any case, I think it's a powerfull testimony to the power of "As A Man Thinketh".
The quote in the front of Goodman's book the 'Miracle Man' reads:
'There are no hopeless situations;
There are only men who have grown hopeless about them'.​
Anon.

I think the OP's vid' is challenging in many ways, not least the way in which we view it (and Nick Vijucic). My initial reacton was the same as yours, but importantly, I don't necessarilly think that he views himself as less fortunate than us.
I totally agree with you on that. My point was really how able bodied people view themselves, rather than how Nick Vujicic views himself. I think I can speak for us all in saying that we'd rather have our limbs than not have them! Doubtless, if a fairy godmother offered to wave her magic wand so that he could swap places with the able bodied people he meets, he'd probably turn her down. Personally, I believe him when he says he's happy with his life and the cards he's been dealt. The critics and cynics will argue that's only because he gets off on the attention and the sympathy that almost anyone in his position will receive from an able bodied person. That may be true, but it doesn't detract from the fact that Nick Vujicic, like morris Goodman, is also a very remarkable man, albeit for very different reasons.
Tim.

hope the below link helps to keep things in perspective.

Phil

Phil - Thats a really interesting concept you bring up... Perspective. Its something i find myself thinking about often, i find it depressing in fact as i always come to the same conclusion...
Nothing really matters, the world is so big, individuals are so insignificant, there are always MUCH worse problems than your own.

I find myself wondering what the point in anything is...

I'm not very good at expressing or explaining what i mean but do you understand without me going into depth?

Hi,

I suppose it could be said we are the sum total of our thoughts and what we constantly think about we bring into our lives

At the cost of absorbing a few foetuses lol

Well probably not, since by the time he died he was conceding that adult stem cells were more likely to assist chronic injury sufferers. But as always, politicians, given the chance, corrupt many of these things to suit their own causes, hence Obama's continued rereference to Reeve when he got the research funding re-instated earlier this year.

The critics and cynics will argue that's only because he gets off on the attention and the sympathy that almost anyone in his position will receive from an able bodied person.

Tim,

Hadn't even thought of that possibility, but I guess it makes sense. I suppose most people can only try to imagine how they might feel. were they to find themselves in that position. In that sense, I guess any cynicism is probably just based on an honest appraisal of how we feel we might deal with it.

Cheers.

Putting all else aside. The guy's humour is pretty original.

YouTube - Nick Vujicic, No Arms, No Legs, No Worries! Part 1 of 3

Last edited:
Hmmn . . . this third video in the series of 1 to 3 is the least good, IMO. The basic concepts he teaches are very sound, but he's in danger of going OTT. Setting massive goals for oneself is fine (such as making a full length feature film) but, announcing them to the world isn't such a clever idea. If I duplicated what he's done in the video, I might announce on T2W that I'm gonna make $1 million a week trading futures. If I achieved it, I might get some kudos and admiration. However, the odds are stacked against me and, if I fail, I'm gonna look seriously stupid and everyone will think 'what a wanchor'. (I know, I know, folks 'round here think that anyway!) There's little to be gained from telling people these things and, potentially, there's a lot to lose. In Nick V's case, it could actually be counter productive to his core message. He wants to inspire people to live their lives to the full and to break through the self imposed glass ceiling that limits their potential. Telling people that he's going on talk shows and making films is a step too far, not least because there will be lots of people who actually want him to fail. Why? Because while some people will look at Nick V' and think to themselves 'if he can achieve such great things with no arms and no legs - just think what I can achieve with my life', others will think: 'oh sh1t, look at him, he can do all that with no arms and no legs and I can't even . . .(get a job, change a light bulb - whatever). Life sucks, I may as well top myself'. There comes a point when there's a fine line between inspiring people to achieve more with their lives on the one hand, to making them depressed and thinking their woes are even worse that they really are on the other. In the last vid', Nick V' is certainly close to that point, and his massive self confidence shows signs of spilling over into one big ego trip which, unless he's careful, could be his undoing.
Tim.
PS. . . . then there's the little matter of trading options! I wonder if he knows about T2W, he might need our help . . .

Last edited:
Hi Timsk,

I can see your point.

When it comes to goal setting the more realistic and very likely to achieve you set them the least likely your sub concious mind will be involved, whereas the more unrealistic and seemingly impossible you sety them uncannilythe more likely they become.

Think of some of the most famous Movie Stars, Musicians Sports people etc and the beginings they came from, the same beliefs that Nick is demonstrating had a big part in getting them where they are now.

I dont think him predicting he is going on Oprah is a step too far, you dont have to give it much imagination to actually see he would be the ideal guest for this show and others, especially in the current financial climate where people are giving up because of temporary adversity.

Cheers

Phil

Tim & Phil,

I actually thought the third video was the most interesting in many ways. Of the three in the series, it shows Nick at his most confident and assertive. I liked that a lot. If you listen to it without the picture/video, for large parts of it you might not even pick up the fact that he was disabled in any way.

It’s interesting that the word “teach” comes up in your post Tim. It highlights the very different ways different people view the same things. To me, the terms teaching and educating mean two very different things. I believe teaching is very much about instilling into whilst education is about drawing out of. I raise this point because I don’t believe Nick is trying to teach anyone anything. Rather, in (as he terms it) offering people hope, he is trying to “draw out” the potential in people, encouraging them to move beyond conditioned responses to given situations.

With regard to him voicing his dreams/aspirations, I’m inclined to agree with Phil, i.e. the bigger the better. Not necessarily because of the complexities of the conscious versus the subconscious mind but simply because he doesn’t seem to be fearful of realising them or indeed of not realising them. This total confidence and absence of fearfulness would seem to suggest that his motives for vocalising them are “pure”, i.e. simply to please and inspire himself and not to impress others in any way.

In your own example, if you’d announced on T2W that you were going to make $1,000,000 a week trading futures then yes, I could make some derogatory remark. Equally I might ask you why you felt the need to limit your aspirations to that number.

If your motive for making such a statement was anything other than to inspire yourself and derive pleasure from simply putting your dreams and aspirations out there, i.e. it was for the purpose of receiving some kind of adoration/adulation, then of course you are going to care about my response, even though in practical terms you cannot control the way that anyone reacts to that statement.

I guess in terms of analysing the “practicality” of his vocalised aspirations you only have to look at your other example, i.e. Morris Goodman. On the face of it, which is potentially more damaging and destructive? Telling us that they we can suffer a fracture of the 1st and 2nd vertebrae and subsequently repair the damage simply by thought power or that any of us can aspire to be in a Hollywood blockbuster. I would suggest neither.

Regarding the practicalities of realising such aspirations, particularly referred to by Phil, I would guess that few (if any) of man’s greatest achievements have been accomplished without the setting of hugely ambitious objectives initially. But it’s not as though they were accomplished through only having one big idea and then waiting for it to happen. Following on from the big idea is always a series of baby steps (to use Nick’s term again.

PS. . . . then there's the little matter of trading options! I wonder if he knows about T2W, he might need our help . . .

Gotta love your sense of humour mate. :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Phil And sandpiper,
Yes, very fair points. And I hope you're both right, for the sake of Nick V' and all the people who find his story uplifting and inspiring (me included). I think I'm just trying to highlight the possible dangers in what he's doing. Nothing in life is ever totally black and white, there's always yin and yang.

Another vid' to add to the collection. Actually, there's 12, but I've only linked to the first of them on YouTube to save cluttering up the thread. Enjoy!
Tim.
YouTube - Touching the Void 1 of 12