Momentum trading

I've been a member of this board for almost a year, and I am still wondering, why is "momentum trading" bandied about as if it were an insult? Except for those who are purely fundamental traders, aren't we all momentum traders? I mean, in order for a trader to make money, then market has to move, and when the move is slowing, most traders (even fundamental traders) take a moment to evaluate their profit targets, and to decide if they will close all or part of their position, or consider adding on.

This is true no matter what time frame we trade in. Yet I often hear "short term momentum trading" as though it were something different than long term trading. Aren't the charts fractal in their nature? I realise there are higher transactions costs as a percentage of short term trading, but in a modern electronic market - the transaction costs are so low that successful traders should have no problem calculating this into their cost of doing business.

Penny for your thoughts!
JO

Last edited:
One of the problems we have as traders, attempting to communicate with eachother is that we all have preconceived notions as to what each trading term means. And more often than not our interpretations differ from eachother.
Add to that the difficulty and or the unwillingness to peck out precisely how we define the current topic at hand, and the unwillingness of respondents to lower themselves to the the thread starters interpretation, it's no wonder how negativity often times runs like wildfire through some threads.

An example is momentum and volatility. These two can be easily confused with eachother. To some, they are entirely different, to others they are the same thing, and still others don't know what ether means.
You might need to give me back some change for that penney
:)

sulong said:
An example is momentum and volatility. These two can be easily confused with eachother. To some, they are entirely different, to others they are the same thing, and still others don't know what ether means.

Try "trend" . . . :)

A rose by any other name ...

We need labels to help shove stuff into the appropriate paradigm boxes lining our brain's storage closet. If a system is consistently profitable, though, its label is should be no more than a secondary concern. Respect the system, not its description.

JumpOff said:
I've been a member of this board for almost a year, and I am still wondering, why is "momentum trading" bandied about as if it were an insult? Except for those who are purely fundamental traders, aren't we all momentum traders? I mean, in order for a trader to make money, then market has to move, and when the move is slowing, most traders (even fundamental traders) take a moment to evaluate their profit targets, and to decide if they will close all or part of their position, or consider adding on.

This is true no matter what time frame we trade in. Yet I often hear "short term momemtum trading" as though it were something different than long term trading. Aren't the charts fractal in their nature? I realise there are higher transactions costs as a percentage of short term trading, but in a modern electronic market - the transaction costs are so low that successful traders should have no problem calculating this into their cost of doing business.

Penny for your thoughts!
JO

This might be a very promising thread, JO.
Let's hope we can have some intelligent exchange of thoughts without the usual degeneration and personal attack nonsense.
Yes, there is a certain self-righteous element which thinks momentum trading,(MT), is something to sneer at and deprecate. Those people are either failures at it or don't understand it. They regard it as "impure". A sort of snobbery. Something to smile at.
As you obviously understand, in most trading and investing, except some options strategies, movement is a pre-requisite of success. Momentum can be regarded as on going movement. It is not acceleration.
Now that definition can be debated, but what is absolute is that movement properly read and traded produces profits in whatever timeframe. I do not use any momentum indicators. In my view the reading of price and its movement and the behaviour of market participants is all. Volume is secondary, though often a useful adjunct.
I find little to disagree with in your post, JO, though I would say that investing using FA only still requires momentum (on going movement) to be profitable, even if that momentum presents as a series of fits and starts.
The only other thing where my personal view differs from yours is that although the accepted view is that charts are fractal, in the day to day business of trading some patterns work better in different time frames. I mean patterns and indicators. Those widely used indicators are, imho, not great ways of trading. Not useless, just inadequate. What matters is understanding what is happening in the market, not necessarily the "why", though intellectually that is preferable, but the "how" and the mechanisms to profit from those moves.
The ability to see momentum developing before or as it starts and to see its demise within a certain time scale before it appears on a chart, provides one of the main ways I trade and earn my living.
For me, momentum = movement = profits.
Trading on momentum means that most of the time the trade goes into immediate profit and that provides the cushion which prevents losses the vast majority of the time - provided exits are timely and the position is actively managed. That active management means not only that losses are infrequent but that the extraction of profits from on going momentum trades is maximised very efficiently.
A reasonable analogy is the cable car system in San Fran. When you jump on as it starts moving and momentum builds, you know it's pretty unlikely it's about to stop and reverse. As in plunges down a steep hill and the operator pulls on that magnificent old lever brake, what do you do as it slows to a halt, you jump off. Don't you, Jump Off ?
Reading the future not required.
I'll tell you something else. There is a beauty, a purity, in trading on momentum. And it's much more of a sudden and a frequent pleasure than the pleasure of investing purely on fundamentals and being profitable.
Something else. It's like a force multiplier. A ground attack fighter that carries two air to surface missiles is fine. But one which carries eight missiles, returns to base and can turn around and be airborne again very quickly is far more effective.
Momentum trading is very similar, you don't have to sit around with your assets tied up whilst nothing is happening and you can gear your capital four fold if you wish.
As you say, commission costs are very small. You can trade 1000 shares of RIMM - a position with a nominal size of $70,000 for a total commission of $15. For that you need only $17,500 (under £10000) in your account. Once out of the trade you simply keep on re-using your capital.
You don't have $70,000 "at risk" in such a day trade. Your trading methodology might permit a maximum "risk" of 15c or $150 or 30c or $300. Not $70000.
That's really what momentum trading is all about for me.
Richard

MrCharts

Let's hope we can have some intelligent exchange of thoughts without the usual degeneration and personal attack nonsense.

If you can manage it, I'm sure I can refrain.

Yes, there is a certain self-righteous element which thinks momentum trading,(MT), is something to sneer at and deprecate. Those people are either failures at it or don't understand it. They regard it as "impure". A sort of snobbery. Something to smile at.

Well, there you go, you didn't even manage the next paragraph.

As you obviously understand, in most trading and investing, except some options strategies, movement is a pre-requisite of success

find little to disagree with in your post, JO, though I would say that investing using FA only still requires momentum (on going movement) to be profitable, even if that momentum presents as a series of fits and starts

Incorrect.
There are quite a large variety of strategies that allow a profit without requiring a consistent price trend. Options are one whole subset, Arbitrage, Hedging, and the list continues.

Trading on momentum means that most of the time the trade goes into immediate profit and that provides the cushion which prevents losses the vast majority of the time - provided exits are timely and the position is actively managed.

Only if you have got the timing absolutely right.
If you mis-time the entry for whatever reason all you will receive are your losses.

That active management means not only that losses are infrequent but that the extraction of profits from on going momentum trades is maximised very efficiently.

Twaddle.
Active management means nothing of the sort. It simply means that you actively manage your trade, taking profits or losses as they occur.

A reasonable analogy is the cable car system in San Fran. When you jump on as it starts moving and momentum builds, you know it's pretty unlikely it's about to stop and reverse.

Twaddle.
Comparing the Market to a cable car is fallacious.

I'll tell you something else. There is a beauty, a purity, in trading on momentum. And it's much more of a sudden and a frequent pleasure than the pleasure of investing purely on fundamentals and being profitable.

Call me old fashioned, but hey, I want the money.

Something else. It's like a force multiplier. A ground attack fighter that carries two air to surface missiles is fine. But one which carries eight missiles, returns to base and can turn around and be airborne again very quickly is far more effective

Twaddle
You need to compare Return on capital That is the true measure.

Momentum trading is very similar, you don't have to sit around with your assets tied up whilst nothing is happening and you can gear your capital four fold if you wish.

Hell, if Margin is your game just go to FOREX and get 200 X capital.
But, your assets, are earning, you just don't understand how to make them earn.

As you say, commission costs are very small. You can trade 1000 shares of RIMM - a position with a nominal size of $70,000 for a total commission of $15. For that you need only $17,500 (under £10000) in your account. Once out of the trade you simply keep on re-using your capital.

Are you advocating using 4 times your total capital all in one trade?
If you are what happens if that stock is suspended from trading?
Where is your risk management then?
Out the window.

Really, from a professional coach you kinda expect a bit more than this.
d998

DUCKY
The true measure is whether you make a living at trading. Mr Charts seems to be able to do so according to postings on various threads. Unfortunately, apart from being susceptible to verbal diahorroea, you do not seem to be a proven capable trader. The only reference that relates to you points out (by one of your countrymen) that you were just as big an ******** on another website. If I had to recommend a coach I would choose one that has had good reviews on this site, and he has. Your tendency towards verbosity is an asset when talking to your clients but unnecessary for trading. Traders don't talk about "it" - they get on and do "it." By all means write about your view of trading on your own thread but don't be so smugly arrogant that yours is the only "way" in trading. I do hope you do not seek to impress with your pomposity and condecending approach to other traders for such an approach only reveals you as a pompous ass. Live and let live even though not all here share your outlook on trading, or in your case, investment.

I can’t see the point of your post, Ducatti?

You’ve obviously got an axe to grind with Mr. Charts for reasons best known (or perhaps only known) to yourself; but I suggest that you should take care to show consideration to JO who started this thread – not to mention the others who’ve so far chosen to reply – and who IMO has every right to expect a reasoned and considered reply.

I don’t think your post was particularly helpful in this respect! Do you?

I hope this makes sense?

Cheers

Mayfly

neil

The true measure is whether you make a living at trading. Mr Charts seems to be able to do so according to postings on various threads.

What via hindsight trades, posted out of real time? Don't make me laugh.

Unfortunately, apart from being susceptible to verbal diahorroea, you do not seem to be a proven capable trader. The only reference that relates to you points out (by one of your countrymen) that you were just as big an ******** on another website.

While I am by no means the only poster that posts live trades, I am one of them. The proof as they say is in the pudding.

MrCharts, while not posting any live trades on the boards, by all accounts does not even take live trades during his coaching sessions..

As to my being an ******** on other sites...........quite true, I am as unpopular there as I am here..........what has popularity got to do with accuracy?

If I had to recommend a coach I would choose one that has had good reviews on this site, and he has.

Whats that got to do with the price of bacon?

Traders don't talk about "it" - they get on and do "it." By all means write about your view of trading on your own thread but don't be so smugly arrogant that yours is the only "way" in trading.

So true.................Show me the money.
But you see I don't claim my way is the only way................just the most profitable and safest.

I do hope you do not seek to impress with your pomposity and condecending approach to other traders for such an approach only reveals you as a pompous ass. Live and let live even though not all here share your outlook on trading, or in your case, investment.

No, only those that deserve it.
If you notice, there are many who trade technically, live trades posted, wins and losses, I never berate or argue their methods................why, because they are legitimate.

Cheers d998

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayfly

I can’t see the point of your post, Ducatti?

The point is to highlight all the inaccuracies.

I don’t think your post was particularly helpful in this respect! Do you?

Well actually I do. There are always 2 sides to every story. Unfortunately, very often very inaccurate information is posted that just passes unchallenged, and just gets kind of accepted as factual. This is not a good position to be in if you are putting your or your families money at risk.

MrCharts can propogate all sorts of inaccuracies and seemingly get away with it. That is my problem with MrCharts, and oh, his snide backstabbing doesn't sit well either.

Jo, as a moderator can delete all and sundry if she so chooses, she can control her thread in any shape or form that she believes is necessary.

If you actually read my response, you'll see I respond to the points made, and provide a reason.
That to my mind is reasoned argument.

If I had simply popped up and said MrCharts is an ********, without reason, that would have been unreasonable.

cheers d998

ducati998 said:
There are quite a large variety of strategies that allow a profit without requiring a consistent price trend. Options are one whole subset, Arbitrage, Hedging, and the list continues.

Well yes, I had forgotten about options - The seller of options wants steady or declining volatility. So the seller of options would want to bail if s/he saw undue acceleration. I'm not sure I really understand arbitrage or hedging strategies. How are they affected by changes in momentum?
JO

Arbitrage as I am faimiliar with it involves the buying of commodities or securities in one market and selling them in another at a higher price to profit from price differentials. Basically what Nick Leeson was doing in Singapore. Not sure if there are other definitions, I suspect volatility assists this, if the target was very static there would be less likely to be a price discrepency to exploit

roguetrader said:
Arbitrage as I am faimiliar with it involves the buying of commodities or securities in one market and selling them in another at a higher price to profit from price differentials. Basically what Nick Leeson was doing in Singapore. Not sure if there are other definitions, I suspect volatility assists this, if the target was very static there would be less likely to be a price discrepency to exploit

So arbitrage is mostly instant? JO

roguetrader said:
You cannot possibly be familiar with it, otherwise you would not post the opinions you venture to put forward.

Incidentally, Nick Leeson was not doing arbitrage, he was doing something completely different.

He was buying in what he did not recognise or understand to be a weak market, that kept raising his hopes by temporalily lurching upwards but losing ground in real terms.

This is the consequence of lack of information, the correct information.

In one of these lurches, following the earthquake in Japan, in which the market rose temporararily for three days, the downward break finally materialised, plunging his positions into serious deficit from which they could not recover, with the tragic and serious consequences of which we are all aware.

another legendary post by ducatti!!

thank you ducatti. you have brightened my day and put a smile on my face once again.

hilarious stuff. absolutely hilarious.

i am sure mr charts is laughing too.

i have no intention on commenting on these issues as i know they will only inflame ducatti and drag the tone of the thread down - which is best avoided for the benefit of all.

all the best.

SOCRATES said:
You cannot possibly be familiar with it, otherwise you would not post the opinions you venture to put forward.

Incidentally, Nick Leeson was not doing arbitrage, he was doing something completely different.

He was buying in what he did not recognise or understand to be a weak market, that kept raising his hopes by temporalily lurching upwards but losing ground in real terms.

This is the consequence of lack of information, the correct information.

In one of these lurches, following the earthquake in Japan, in which the market rose temporararily for three days, the downward break finally materialised, plunging his positions into serious deficit from which they could not recover, with the tragic and serious consequences of which we are all aware.

one of nicks errors was letting the whole world know his position. big mistake. asking for trouble.

Really, then perhaps you would be so kind as to define arbitrage for us, thus correcting my opinion of what the process is.

Nick Leeson's job involved two roles.

1,/ transacting futures and options orders for clients or for other firms within the Barings organization, and

2./ arbitraging price differences between Nikkei futures traded on the SIMEX and Japan's Osaka exchange.
The "something completely different" was nothing to do with his role as an arbitrager,

I am new to this board, but not new to trading. I am trying to do some research on various trading systems. Has anyone had any experience with Go Gecko or Stock-Signal-Pro ? Thanks in advance for your patience.

BlackRhino, It's probably best to ask that question in the trading systems part of this forum ( Mechanical & system trading). There is more likely to be someone looking that will have a good answer for you.