Memory Stick - Windows Compatibility

bracke

Experienced member
I want to use a memory stick to transfer data from a computer with Windows 98 to one with Windows XP Media Centre.

I am having a problem ascertaining which make of stick will do the job as many are not compatible with both Windows versions. Can anyone assist please.

Regards

bracke

You don't need any drivers for XP, you do for the Win98, this should come in the form of a small disc included with the stick.

You don't need any drivers for XP, you do for the Win98, this should come in the form of a small disc included with the stick.

A Dashing Blade

Thank you for your reply.

I have been informed that Corsair may have the product I need. I have emailed them but no reply.

Regards

bracke

Memory sticks are memory sticks, whether Corsair, Kingston or anyone else.

ebuyer do nice memory sticks for under a tenner - a couple of gig for that price. Should come with drivers.

How much data are you trying to move? I presume you can't burn it to disc? Alternatively, email it to yourself and pick it up on the other PC if it's not too big, or take the drive out, slave it into the new machine and copy it over directly.

Memory sticks are memory sticks, whether Corsair, Kingston or anyone else.

ebuyer do nice memory sticks for under a tenner - a couple of gig for that price. Should come with drivers.

How much data are you trying to move? I presume you can't burn it to disc? Alternatively, email it to yourself and pick it up on the other PC if it's not too big, or take the drive out, slave it into the new machine and copy it over directly.

rossored

Thank you for your reply.

The new computer with Windows XP has no floppy drive, only cd drive.

I have data on floppies that I can download to the Windows 98 computer. The cd drive on the Windows 98 machine is read only.

Your email suggestion is a good idea which I will try. I will be moving to broadband and as the old computer is dial up I will not be able to use the old computer to email once the change to broadband occurs.

I asked Novatech if their flash memory stick would do the job but they could not be certain it would and suggested that I get a driver from Corsair. Corsair manufacture sticks which appear to be compatible for my needs, I have emailed them to confirm that this is the case but no reply.

Regards

bracke

Or you could get yourself a secondhand CDRW from ebay - probably no more than a tenner. If you lived near me (cambs) you could have one for free as I have millions of them :).

Floppies are 1.44MB each so I doubt you'll get much on there; if it's just Word docs, spreadsheets and stuff then emailing should work OK, they wont be big files. If it's a new PC it's probably a SATA connector on the drive and the old system will be PATA so I doubt you'll be able to slave it in anyway.

Final option - ebay again - get a PATA/SATA powered bridge like this, rip the drive out of the old machine, plug it into the bridge and USB it into the new machine.

How's about using rapidshare.com to "park" up to 100mb of data from your win98 box then download it from rapidshare into your XP box.
It's free.
Hint : zip all your data into one zip file before uploading.

Without hesitation, I'd buy a memory stick from ebuyer, aria, dabbs, or ebay. I got a 2gb toshiba off ebay for £11. It's so useful.

rossored, A dashing Blade and JTreader

Many thanks for you suggestions. I ought to be able to sort the problem from what you have given me.

Regards

bracke