May '04 Forex

ivorm

Remember that you must double up on an individual pair to compare apples with apples (excuse the pun :cheesy: )

In other words, you would have made +158 pips on EUR or +72 pips on Swissy.

Hope this clarifies.

ivorm said:
I'm not sure about the efficacy of this strategy either. :confused:

I guess my thinking is that altough they are 'basically the same trade', nevertheless they differ in terms of volatility, i.e. the CHF seems to move much more than the EUR. I'm not sure of the maths, but it seems to me that this difference in volatility might mean that trading the pair might be more profitable than trading just one.

I know it's a very limited sample :cheesy: but my two days of trading both currencies have resulted in +115. If I had just traded EUR, it would be +79. And if I had just traded CHF, then it would be +36.

Anyone care to do some proper backtesting on this ? Could be interesting.

Regards,

ivorm said:

I know it's a very limited sample :cheesy: but my two days of trading both currencies have resulted in +115. If I had just traded EUR, it would be +79. And if I had just traded CHF, then it would be +36.

Anyone care to do some proper back testing on this ? Could be interesting.

Regards,

Iworm,

I have started to test on all 4 major pairs on the 1-8 BO. I am also monitoring the effect of the volatility on the breakout period (successfully rates if vol >60) . Need to be careful when getting the H's and L's, as I misread the chart this morning on CHF and I was falsely triggered Long @ 1.2876 and now I am out on a 60 pips SL :eek:

Euro - set my channel using 5min bar at break of 2087 = Long
break of 2015 = Short

Goober said:
ivorm

Remember that you must double up on an individual pair to compare apples with apples (excuse the pun :cheesy: )

In other words, you would have made +158 pips on EUR or +72 pips on Swissy.

Hope this clarifies.

Ooops. Quite right, Goobs. :eek:

I'm still not convinced either way. In some ways the difference in volatility might act as a kindof partial hedging mechanism. I think some backtesting would be worthwhile.

Regards,

ivorm

Quite right. There's nothing wrong with spreading the risk - good risk management i.m.h.o.

I select either EUR or Swissy based on the volatility filter.

Goober said:
Swissy long activated at 1.2885.

ivorm

Earlier I asked TW if he was trading live or on paper because his net profit of 123 pips was based on trading four pairs, which translates to a potential DD for the day of 240 pips.

Same question to you really.

:devilish: goober you seem to be trading the wrong way :rolleyes: surely you should be short swissy not long . :eek:

Mr C

The system had me originally long Swissy at 1.2885. Stopped out at 1.2840 (-45 pips) and reversed at 1.2828 (+11 pips at present). Unfortunately, I am only able to monitor the markets every hour, otherwise I would have reversed at 1.2840.

ok chaps, im off out to lunch. will return after the fun and games of 1.30. hopefully i wont be stopped out before then!! stops currently 16 pts from where we are. dont fancy giving any more away today!

good luck guys. see you on the other side :)

FC

Goober said:
ivorm

Quite right. There's nothing wrong with spreading the risk - good risk management i.m.h.o.

I select either EUR or Swissy based on the volatility filter.

I see ,Goober you may have stummbled on something here :eek: maybe better to only trade one pair for obvious reasons , :confused: but choses the pair with the tightest range before breakout , :p what do you think :?: :p

wow fun and games was right.
There goes my stop on the EUR
think need to wait til it settles down a bit.

sheesh kebab!! that was impressive, and im not just talking about my lunch!!!

stops taken out with 15pts slippage on the way down. yikes.

currently short from 1.980 and will see what happens.

:)

My EUR/USD future Stop Limit orders executed with 0 slippage...

Not helpful if you've made a loss but it does show what you can do.

JonnyT

Jeeeeeeez !!!

My stops on EUR and CHF were both hit. Fortunately, I had a S&R on EUR which I've now covered. Net result, -5 pips. :eek:

I'm staying out for the rest of the day.

Regards,

anyone actually know what the figures were?

just curious thats all. im guessing they were immensely good ???

FC

Non farm payrolls up 288k I think - 172k expected. Not bad, unless they're jibbing the numbers again.

Ben

B*******s! :devilish:

I forgot to tighten stops before going to lunch. Stopped out of Swissy for -60 pips; -105 pips for the day.

Mr C

That's basically what I'm doing now, although I tend to favour EUR.

Mr Chill said:
I see ,Goober you may have stummbled on something here :eek: maybe better to only trade one pair for obvious reasons , :confused: but choses the pair with the tightest range before breakout , :p what do you think :?: :p

oops apologies guys.

wasnt any slippage at all.

big error. when i said earlier i was tightening my stops, i didnt actually hit confirm on the trading platform.

buggeration :( such a silly error. at least it was only 15 points. could have been a lot worse.

you live and learn. :)