Making the spread in options

CHRISTO9HER

Hi Guys

Up until now I have mainly traded futures, have done fairly well. Looking to branch out a bit and trade some options, mainly the currency options on Philly exchange.

My questions are these:

1. Does the order book for the options work in a similar way to a futures DOM view?

2. Can I enter limit orders? i.e. can I buy at the bid and sell at the offer like I can in futures markets?

I had always assumed that one could do limit orders for options, I am asking because someone told me you couldn't although I don't think they knew what they were on about

Thanks,

Chris

Well, in theory it works the same... In practice, you have to be very careful with limit orders on options.

Why's that?
'Cause you might get filled :).

Basically, as I am sure you realize, options, unlike the underlying, are affected by a variety of factors. So, for example, let's say the mkt for XYZ calls is 5/7 and you're the 5 bid. Suppose XYZ (the underlying) sells off hard. If, as soon as this happens, you don't back off of your 5 bid in a timely fashion, you'll be the sucker who will get filled at the wrong price (assuming all else equal). Similar goes for when there's a sharp move in vols. That's why you need more sophisticated software for electronic mkt-making of options.