London Restaurant

charliechan

Experienced member
I know this is very naff, and perhaps a bit un-pc. but it has always kind of been on my wish list.....

does anyone know of a restaurant in london (where i live) where i can see a tank full of live lobster, and select one for them to cook for me - just like in the movies!

cheers

cc

charliechan said:
I know this is very naff, and perhaps a bit un-pc. but it has always kind of been on my wish list.....

does anyone know of a restaurant in london (where i live) where i can see a tank full of live lobster, and select one for them to cook for me - just like in the movies!

cheers

cc

Do you know how they cook the lobsters? They throw them in the boiling water alive! Isn't that sad?

Silvia.
By the way, no, I don't know of any.

I dont know if this restaurant does have a tank or not, but they probably can tell you who does.

The Lobster Pot
3 Kennington Lane, London, SE11 4RG
Telephone: 020 7582 5556

Last edited:
silviaic said:
Do you know how they cook the lobsters? They throw them in the boiling water alive! Isn't that sad?
It's OK Silvia, they're Chinese lobsters.

thanks aa99 - i will enquire.

silvia - and......

you said...

Do you know how they cook the lobsters? They throw them in the boiling water alive! Isn't that sad?'

well, that all depends on whether one is the lobster or not!! lol.

being chucked into a pot of boiling water is a very quick painless death - far better than dying some slow drawn out death via lobster cancer or what ever old lobsters die of.

being chucked into a pot of boiling water is a very quick painless death - far better than dying some slow drawn out death via lobster cancer or what ever old lobsters die of

But it is the young ones that taste the best!

yummy!

CC.
I had a live lobster cooked that way on a visit to Taipei a coupla years ago - I also had a live lobster cut in half in front of me and cooked there and then whilst still moving on a hot plate in the good ol US of A. not very PC at all, but these lobsters were probably the most delectable meals that I have ever had the good taste to enjoy :cheesy:

Seems like the same holds true with any a la carte foodstuffs, veal, foie gras, caviar et al, very tasty but not great if you're the animal.

But as homer simpson said, "if god hadnt intended us to eat the animals, then he wouldnt have made them out of meat"

Two I've been to that had large lobster tanks in the restaurant - I assume you can choose your lobster given that they're there, but would be worth calling first: Trader Vic's in the Park Lane Hilton, and Bluebird on the King's Road. Ah, the days of expense account dining...

By the way Silvia, as an inverterbrate a lobster doesn't have a 'brain' as such, certainly not a cerebral cortex where mammals' perception of pain is generated. Its more a collection of nerve endings that allow it to respond to changes in stimulae such as light, temperature etc. Highly debatable that the lobster feels any kind of sensation when being cooked. Just think of it as a giant insect. On second thoughts, I'll have the rack of lamb.

I chose my lobster on a visit to Cape Town last year - if you ever go, look up the Cape Town Fish Market, down on the waterfront. didn't get to see the litte fella boiled, but he certainly tasted jolly good; apparently the stress of the death makes the meat taste better, so I've heard.

hmm... I wonder if there's any chance that the whole picking your lobster is just a ploy to charge you more... if you dont see it boiled then they could well just plonk your chosen lobster in a tank hidden in the kitchen and zap up a lobster microwave readymeal - we'd not be any wiser!

Arbitrageur said:
hmm... I wonder if there's any chance that the whole picking your lobster is just a ploy to charge you more... if you dont see it boiled then they could well just plonk your chosen lobster in a tank hidden in the kitchen and zap up a lobster microwave readymeal - we'd not be any wiser!

Yes and all these years we have been eating crab paste, :)

hmm, whato,,, i was in cornwall, padstow a few years back in the pub, "the ship" or something, woman half cut at bar moaning her head off about rick steins gaff, (the Seafood Rest.)moaning that she paid £80.00 for a meal, and the fact that rick wasn't even there, off filming or something.

she's saying this to me as i'm getting a beer and thinking....... "huh whats your point" your paying for food how he wants it to be served , not a dinner, its creation, energy, art, passion, all of that and good tucker. funny old world.....

this lobster talk reminded me of that for some reason........ :confused:

A couple of years ago some friends went down to Padstow to eat at Stein's restaurant. At the end of the meal they asked their waiter if they could keep the menus as a memento of a great meal. "Just a moment, sir," said the waiter disappearing off. Oh well, thought my friends. Five minutes later he came back with the menus signed by the big man himself. Nice touch. I agree fxmarkets, what's £80 for a meal you'll remember for years?

Ok, go and eat the little dears! Next time round you'll reincarnate as lobsters, but I'll be there posting for you anyway.

Silvia.
(By the way, I saw once a program about weird food. People who eat and enjoy insects, in particular the squashy type (cockroaches) described their taste as extremely similar to lobsters. Yummy.)

lol - i tried a few wierd exotics in Taiwan.. jelly fish and a fried sheep brain out in Dubai , mostly taste of fish or chicken. I wouldnt mind trying some grubs and bugs though, hoping to visit thailand soonish and hear you can pretty much eat anything out there - sounds like if its alive they will but it in batter and grill it for you - rats, cats, dogs, snakes, monkeys, locusts... a tasters extravaganza! :eek:

Arbitrageur said:
lol - i tried a few wierd exotics in Taiwan.. jelly fish and a fried sheep brain out in Dubai , mostly taste of fish or chicken. I wouldnt mind trying some grubs and bugs though, hoping to visit thailand soonish and hear you can pretty much eat anything out there - sounds like if its alive they will but it in batter and grill it for you - rats, cats, dogs, snakes, monkeys, locusts... a tasters extravaganza! :eek:

Look, my kitchen is a disaster and needs cleaning, you can find all kind of beast crawling everywhere. You're invited for lunch this Sunday. I'll leave the key under the pot, by the door.
Silvia.
(I almost forgot: please don't eat the cat)

Tried snake once in Southern China. We were fortunate enough to be taken out by the hotel owners for breakfast :eek:

We walked into this small backstreet cafe and they asked us to choose from a small cage on the floor amongst about 50 snakes all writhing about in a small wire contraption about the size of laptop. After picking, the chef whipped out the snake and quickly placed it onto the chopping board in front of us and one swift chop it was off with his head. The traditional draining of the snakes internal liquids into a glass was then offered as pre breakfast drink (not ideal after a night on far too much tequila!) Aphrodisiac allegedly.... couldn't think of anything more off putting personally but when in Rome/China....

After drinking the snakes previous weeks intake it was swiftly chopped into handybite size pieces and deep fried. It, regretably, did taste like chicken but more rubbery.... Well worth the 25p each though :cheesy:

Did hear the philosophy in China was they will 'eat any animals that live with their backs to the sun' ....

chrisw said:
Tried snake once in Southern China. We were fortunate enough to be taken out by the hotel owners for breakfast :eek:

We walked into this small backstreet cafe and they asked us to choose from a small cage on the floor amongst about 50 snakes all writhing about in a small wire contraption about the size of laptop. After picking, the chef whipped out the snake and quickly placed it onto the chopping board in front of us and one swift chop it was off with his head. The traditional draining of the snakes internal liquids into a glass was then offered as pre breakfast drink (not ideal after a night on far too much tequila!) Aphrodisiac allegedly.... couldn't think of anything more off putting personally but when in Rome/China....

After drinking the snakes previous weeks intake it was swiftly chopped into handybite size pieces and deep fried. It, regretably, did taste like chicken but more rubbery.... Well worth the 25p each though :cheesy:

Did hear the philosophy in China was they will 'eat any animals that live with their backs to the sun' ....

That's why when I got back I was only tanned on my front.

Silvia.
(Snake! haven't you seen Harry Potter???!!!)

Last edited:
Remember walking through markets and, how once upon a time we would keep chickens in small coups racked up next to each other they had cats, rabbits, small dogs....

chrisw said:

lol - that philosophy doesnt really place any constrictions on their diet does it :LOL: