Liquidity

Aggregating a bunch of bank platform feeds doesn't equate to a true ecn. You're still crossing the spread basically (if you bid, you more than likely don't get given until it's offered there or about to be).

Aggregating a bunch of bank platform feeds doesn't equate to a true ecn. You're still crossing the spread basically (if you bid, you more than likely don't get given until it's offered there or about to be).
Thanks , can u give us a screenshot for a real ecn ? And i have another question : If an ecn allows 10 k trades ( mini lot ) like ( FXCM Active trader ) does this mean it is not a real ecn ?

For me what defines an ecn is that it is a true marketplace, where participants are able to bid and offer and trade as a true price maker. It's not necessarily about size at all, although in FX there seems to be a lack of a retail sized ecn as far as I can see.

Where a lot of these platforms flatter to decieve is that in aggregating bank support liquidity, they still aren't saying that the client placing a bid there will necessarily be hit on their bid unless one of the liquidity providers is offered there. And they don't usually support peer - peer trading (another way to be a price maker) so all they do that resembles an ecn is give you a bunch of bells and whistles to help you trade (oco orders, trailing stops etc). You're still trading on someone elses price at the end of the day.

yeah agree , only other FXCM Active trader clients can hit your bid or offer ...
For other readers ofcourse we r talking about ( FXCM Active trader )

well that's a start if that can happen.

i was chatting with FXCM and they said no , other clients cant c my bids or offers !

But i am sure about MBtrading , clients can trade with each other , but they have high commission rate and the minimum deal size is 1 k ! not worth it really .

Igmarkets offers institutional forex trading with 10 top tier banks and you can be a price maker , but the minimum deposit is 50 K $ and the minimum comm. is 30 $ , thats mean you should trade in millions not 100 ks

Dukascopy operate as an ECN aggregator. From my own investigations they seem to be an excellent setup. Set yourself up with a free demo account and have a play around.

Playing around with demo accounts pretending to be live, sure seems popular these days.
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, no?

Playing around with demo accounts pretending to be live, sure seems popular these days.
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, no?

:sneaky: it's a good place to set some rules in stone, and a place where you can develop your method without losing in the process...you could say the opportunity cost of demo trading is that you don't gain experience of feeling emotions.
that's true, slippage isn't that much of a problem whenever you're on forex dailies like me though but i see what you mean, it's not real, its like thinking you can drive when you play gran turismo,you 'get' it but you never feel the real life 'hit' of a crash.

:sneaky: it's a good place to set some rules in stone, and a place where you can develop your method without losing in the process...you could say the opportunity cost of demo trading is that you don't gain experience of feeling emotions.
that's true, slippage isn't that much of a problem whenever you're on forex dailies like me though but i see what you mean, it's not real, its like thinking you can drive when you play gran turismo,you 'get' it but you never feel the real life 'hit' of a crash.

Indeed. Good points.
As long as you don't use the demo account to convince others you are making a killing, there's nothing wrong with it ;)

Last edited:

Woosh!!