Life Arbitrage

What credit crunch?...

As a digress to the burger banter, here's something I seriously considered a while ago...

There are any number of credit-cards available to pretty much anyone. These cards will give you usually at least £500. And they will generally give you 50 or so days to pay any outstanding balance interest-free.

So, taking those two numbers, I thought about creating 'rings' of 8 or so cards.

I would take out the full £500 on each card except one. I would then "move" the £500 from each card to the next. This would result in each cards balance being paid in full before the 50-day interest-free limit and therefore resetting this limit.

So with each ring of 8 cards I'd have £500 circulating and £3500 spare.

I went online and found a huge number of cards that met the £500 and 50-day grace period.

I worked out that if I took all the cards available I could end up with about £50,000 floating cash for trading.

lol... only joking with regard to the trading of the money. It would have to be an "investment" that couldn't go down.

Due to innumerable logistical problems switching the money around and the fact that interest on £50k isn't all that much - I aborted.

Magnus

As a digress to the burger banter, here's something I seriously considered a while ago...

There are any number of credit-cards available to pretty much anyone. These cards will give you usually at least £500. And they will generally give you 50 or so days to pay any outstanding balance interest-free.

So, taking those two numbers, I thought about creating 'rings' of 8 or so cards.

I would take out the full £500 on each card except one. I would then "move" the £500 from each card to the next. This would result in each cards balance being paid in full before the 50-day interest-free limit and therefore resetting this limit.

So with each ring of 8 cards I'd have £500 circulating and £3500 spare.

I went online and found a huge number of cards that met the £500 and 50-day grace period.

I worked out that if I took all the cards available I could end up with about £50,000 floating cash for trading.

lol... only joking with regard to the trading of the money. It would have to be an "investment" that couldn't go down.

Due to innumerable logistical problems switching the money around and the fact that interest on £50k isn't all that much - I aborted.

Magnus

Bond

That'll be £500 please

credit cards:
there are still a load of 0% balance transfer offer for 12 months or more, for a 3% fee.
You are effectively borrowing money (some allow cheques, buts that going to be abandoned) at 3% interest for a year.

cheaper than a loan. (make sure you have the money to pay it off. I used this for years to use money against my flexible mortgage.)

While we are at MACD's how about doing the good citizen bit when you arrive and picking up the empty coffee cups littering the car park and placing them in the bin....but not before you have picked those little red labels off them and stuck them on your free cup card. :)

Kerrrching..£1.29 ?

While we are at MACD's how about doing the good citizen bit when you arrive and picking up the empty coffee cups littering the car park and placing them in the bin....but not before you have picked those little red labels off them and stuck them on your free cup card. :)

Kerrrching..£1.29 ?

I don't know the things you speak of (value my health too much to frequent Micky-D's), but it sounds like a winner. Cool.

Free coffee...

Copy the rubber stamps they use in Cafe Nero, Costa, etc and stamp your own buy-ten-get-one-free cards... unlimited coffee!!

Magnus

how the f can someone who works in a bank venture to enter a rep argument in this day and age?

Not that that's a sweeping generalisation or anything....... Could say the same about anyone with a buy to let mortgage taken out at the highs who promptly crapped themselves when their badly researched, financially blinkered, avaricious, uber-aquisitive, upwardly mobile, Sarah Beenie fuelled little plan f*king backfired, spoiling a nice little upwardly trending house market for the rest of us, but no-one in Britain or America likes to talk about that dirty little (not so) secret. Nooooo - always someone elses fault that we're all in the poo poo now.

So fine - slag me and goose off. @ bothered, can do your amount shaiiig. I'm an FX trader and as far as I know Goose trades rates. I.e. neither of us trade CDS / subprime mortgages or whatever. This is worse than asking Sun readers about international geopolitics. Bah....

Feel better now.....

I am thinking of joining Streetcar - they will give you an hour of free car driving if you wash it. So in theory you can borrow the car and then wash it, for free.

The advantages of a hire car are fairly obvious. For example, something I intend to try is whether I can move off just using the synchromesh as a clutch, that is to say just putting it into gear VERY SLOWLY to get underway...