Libya

I don't like the way this is going. Do they have a mandate to bomb anything other than airfields and control centres?

I'm not, personally, against this but, as PM, I would not have taken UK into it.

The US have not stuck their necks out on this one, Britain has.

Actually, Spilt do you know the best remedy to high output slack ...a good war ,nothing like it to soak up unemployment etc. Unfortunately, I suspect gadaffi will cave very quickly and then we'll all be back to talking about whether the next 5 minute resistance will be at .50 or 100 ...LOL

Actually, Spilt do you know the best remedy to high output slack ...a good war ,nothing like it to soak up unemployment etc. Unfortunately, I suspect gadaffi will cave very quickly and then we'll all be back to talking about whether the next 5 minute resistance will be at .50 or 100 ...LOL

It doesn't matter if he's gone within a week. This will still carry on for a long time. Just look at Iraq and how removing the figurehead didn't solve all the problems overnight. Libya will be no different if history is anything to go by.

I'm listening to 5live at present. If Gadaffi declares a ceasefire what would our answer be as long as it is not violated?

We may have to enforce a no-fly zone until we get fed up. He could play a waiting game while we finance a very expensive operation.

Yawn,which means what?

It's bloody obvious that any continuuing spike in energy mean short the equities that are exposed most to it and when it blows off as it will then reverse.

You're right, the west will make nothing from this campaign. Look at the cost of Iraq in lives and money yet the main benefactors from the subsequent oil contracts were Russia, china, Malaysia, Norway Turkey etc, none of whom suffered so much as a scratch. The Arabs will accept our help when it suits but when the jobs done there will be no thanks and they'll sell to the highest bidder.

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9031482&contentId=7057672

http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2010/...-final-deal-for-iraqs-west-qurna-1-oil-field/

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...gId=1001106&newsId=20100125005815&newsLang=en

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/03/iraq-oil-exxon-idUSLDE72212K20110303

Not disputing everything you said, western oil is involved, its far from excluded.
Western as well as Chinese and Eastern oil companies will end up in Libya post conflict.

I'm listening to 5live at present. If Gadaffi declares a ceasefire what would our answer be as long as it is not violated?

We may have to enforce a no-fly zone until we get fed up. He could play a waiting game while we finance a very expensive operation.

Continue to destroy his military infrastructure. He's announced and immediately broken one ceasefire already. In any case the rebels will say he has broken the ceasefire even if he hasn't.

My point is that just because we invade and overthrow a dictator at enormous cost it doesn't mean we gain any advantage when it comes to winning contracts. Therefore to say the action against Libya is about oil is clearly wrong. The Chinese and Russians will do just as well out of it as we will.

My point is that just because we invade and overthrow a dictator at enormous cost it doesn't mean we gain any advantage when it comes to winning contracts. Therefore to say the action against Libya is about oil is clearly wrong. The Chinese and Russians will do just as well out of it as we will.

True, but it does create a free international market as a by product of removing an old problem, which was my original point. No one with half a brain would say the oil is the primary factor ;)

A comment I read elsewhere..

20 Mar 2011:
Yes, if it really was what the Libyans wanted -- but this stinks of a rather convoluted and Machiavellian resource grab by the west --

First we get an uprising in Benghazi about which very little is known but we're assured is a 'popular' revolution even though huge Egyptian style crowds are little seen, prominent among the crowds and the revolutionaries are many fluent English speakers from groups known for a long time to be fronts funded and run by the CIA; spokes people ( lots of them students in Britain) who have the capacity to get themselves onto Channel 4 at a moments notice & who seem able to jet back and forth from the UK channel 4 studios to Libya without any problems.

Then we get a advance on Tripoli which fades out amid not much sign of popular uprisings in the western part of the country.

What is clear is that is that Gaddafi has more support than is being acknowledged by the west and that what is raging isn't a high key battle, but rather a series of rolling skirmishes which the rebels are loosing – in part one assumes because they simply haven’t got enough support. After all we’re quite prepared to believe that Gaddafi’s crowds are manipulated but the crowds that support our point of view are somehow spontaneous and free.

All Gaddafi seems to be doing is reasserting his control over his national territory aganst a foreign funded seperatist movement trying to un seat him ; precisely what any government would do if confronted by a similar situation.

Now we have what amounts to an invasion by the west

Washington is pulling all the strings behind this while pretending to be unwilling and it’s hard to see the Libyan Revolution as anymore than an elaborate piece of disinformation and theater, aimed to justify an invasion to achieve what a manipulated popular uprising couldn't.

Washing ton has form in this sort of manipulated uprising; indeed this looks more like a re-run of the similarly manipulated 'color revolutions' coupled with a resource grab all presented in the scenerio of freedom and so on which push all the buttons of the hyper liberals back in the West and represent the dying aggression of an American coalition of the greedy..no wonder Brazil Russia China and India abstained.

What are the odds that when this is all over, lots of Libyan economists trained and domiciled in the USA will find themselves on a jet back to Libya blinking on the tarmac as they stare at a country they haven't seen for years, while struggling to take in what the American bankers are trying to tell them, signing decrees of privatization for oil wells and rushing to complete the documentation for Swiss bank accounts. Precisely what occurred in Afghanistan, Iraq, and any eastern European country you can be bothered to name.

So the notion that this is going to allow the Libyan people to control their own destiny seems like hopeless hyper liberal idealism to me and altogether, the least likely outcome...

Have you been reading The Guardian again?

Nope, prolefeed for me all the way, Sky and the Daily Mail. It's also very important and entertaining to keep up to speed with a wide variety of uninformed fooktarded opinions..on many (and varied) forums..:D

oh bloody hell here we go

Its-A-Conspiracy.jpg

to be honest, I don't doubt for a second that the CIA, MI6 and so on are supporting teh removal of Gaddaffi financially, logistically, and spreading propaganda about regimes the west would refer to see removed. That doesn't mean the whole thing has been orchestrated in smoke filled rooms by the bildeberg group. All thing considered it is more likely that the Libian population were encouraged by the actions of their Egypitian cousins and tried to get rid of a troublesome dictator they've had for 40 years.

And I don't really give a sh!t, as long as my side wins.

[this comment is aimed at the author of the comment you posted BS, not at you]

"Japan supports Western operations against Libya"

ahah ,so using some Ronnie Regan type logic we now know that it was Gadaffi who triggered the Japanese earthquake !!

Yo ppl,

I made a post in the commodities section which explains my theory on all this - obviously it's all about the oil but more intrestingly will Gaddafi pull a Saddam and set fire to the wells? (n)

If so, what would the long term damage be? - obviously oil prices would go mental on the back of 'trading the news' - which is coincidentally the back bone of my investing strategy.

For those that are intrested here's my post: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/energy/121330-will-colonel-gaddafi-burn-refineries.html

It all boils down to one thing. Too much dependence on a fossil fuel. The sooner we find an alternative means of energy the better and the Arabs can live in peace in their Desert. Or maybe its too late.