Best Thread learning to read price action with p/f charts

ssssssshhhhh.......it's a secret between malaguti and I.it's so secret that the book self destructed after we read it
lol

ssssssshhhhh.......it's a secret between malaguti and I.it's so secret that the book self destructed after we read it
lol

Dentist, you are so mean!..ameliya if you want to read more, you have quite alot to go through in this thread, which hints at the elusive book that meanie here is referring to! But I also think that if you are happy in the way you trade, why would you want to change it..
I was never happy, kept on changing, looking for something new..a new system, a new indicator and then a couple of losing trades later and I figured i needed something different. It wasn't the indicators, the systems it was all about the confidence (or lack thereof) I had in my own analysis.
So do some homework on this, and I'm sure it will all sink into place. I hope it helps you!

I would like to hear more about them. I am very happy with the way I trade, and have been studying options for a long time now, which takes up most of my time. I am definitely interested in learning more. I recently started using P/F charts and so far it has helped me become more consistent in intraday trading.

A chart of the S&P..just beautiful and another 30points in the bag!!

Attachments

• S&P month of no movement P&F.jpg
    S&P month of no movement P&F.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 175
Also featured in the second edition are:

- A step-by-step analysis of the FTSE 100 Index using the 3-box method, as well as the NASDAQ Composite Index, using the 1-box method

- A detailed discussion of optimising techniques

- An in-depth chapter on Analysing Point and Figure charts, extensively rewritten from the first edition

- A new explanation of how Point and Figure parameters are chosen and the implications of choosing them

- Two new Point and Figure construction methods never seen before

- Point and Figure's contribution to market breadth, with a look at bullish percent and two brand new indicators

- Full discussion of Point and Figure gaps and how they provide valuable information about the chart

- Lesser known, more advanced techniques such as the use of moving averages, parabolic SAR and Bollinger Bands on Point and Figure charts

- Price and volume activity histograms and how they provide information about support and resistance

All this is illustrated with numerous colour charts and observations from years of trading experience.
According to du Plessis, Point and Figure charts are the 'voice of the market'. This book helps you listen to, and understand, that voice.

- Point and Figure's contribution to market breadth, with a look at bullish percent and two brand new indicators

- Price and volume activity histograms and how they provide information about support and resistance

That's a really good find dentist, as Amazon only have 15% off the price at £59.46

I'll be particularly interested to see what he says about the market breadth charts, as as you know from my market breadth thread, I use the point and figure charts of the Bullish percents and the NYSE percentage of stocks above their 50, 150, and 200 day moving averages charts, plus various other ones as defined over the years by Investors Intelligence and Dorsey and think that they are the best tools to help with broad market timing as they show what's going on under the surface of the market.

I also use the Price by Volume on every chart nowadays to help find the key support or resistance levels. For example in the gold chart below you can see on the price by volume on the left of the chart that the major volume resistance was up to the 1680 level, and now we are through that the 1720 to 1740 range is where the more minor volume support is.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SharpChartv05-11.png
    SharpChartv05-11.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
nas 100
30 min data
the QE rally which started on 25 july
watch the trendline cluster ffor possible clues if there is a breakdown

2l949y0.gif

hi Isatrader
it looks like the two new bp things are
1.bullish trend %
2.column "X" percent
ok...so i think that
1.% of stocks with a price above a bullish trendline..ie 45 degree trendline...a log box setting
that sounds more useful than normal bp%
2."X" column percent...so % of stocks in an "x" column..same again..log box size
all depends if you can tune it to 1,2 or 3 box reversal
1 box reversal could be quite useful
so...all in all a couple of useful market breadth tools
however..it still does not take you away from looking at the screen for trend/supp/res
just look at brby...nearly all stocks rallied and that one has been in a downtrend for some time..in fact it tanked last week..no more designer bling....

hi Isatrader
it looks like the two new bp things are
1.bullish trend %
2.column "X" percent
ok...so i think that
1.% of stocks with a price above a bullish trendline..ie 45 degree trendline...a log box setting
that sounds more useful than normal bp%
2."X" column percent...so % of stocks in an "x" column..same again..log box size
all depends if you can tune it to 1,2 or 3 box reversal
1 box reversal could be quite useful
so...all in all a couple of useful market breadth tools
however..it still does not take you away from looking at the screen for trend/supp/res
just look at brby...nearly all stocks rallied and that one has been in a downtrend for some time..in fact it tanked last week..no more designer bling....

Hi, Dentist, don't post to you but I read you a lot (if that is some consolation :D).

Seeing your chart, could you tell me if Nasdaq is the same as the SB firm, Finspreads, UStechnical?. I think that it must be because it is so close, but am not quite sure.

The above chart is great and gives a different perspective. Thanks

it will be interesting to see the update on analysis techniques in the new edition,and how we compare to "the pros".from what i have seen from tipstracker/i have only seen a few copies of...that we compare more than favourably
be interested to see how gaps are analysed in the new edition
who knows..we all could learn something new

split...the chart i posted is the index
sb"s are the futures with an algorithm to get some points for themselves
should be nearly the same during market hours..imho

spx 30 min data
from 25 july
we can see tyhe latest blowoff from 4sept/thick green line when market anticipated qe3

oqeqn9.gif

we now go down to the last blow off,which started on 5th september and look at 10 min data
we have now some supp areas for this latest trend

35m3amv.gif

Dentist, can I have your view on something please, which I'm not sure is covered in the book anywhere..it relates to buy sell signals within the main trend, but whether internal lines need to be factored in.let me give you an example in this chart of the S&P
I'm in a clear uptrend, with a retracement occurring (based on these settings of course). I would be looking to get into a buy, do I need to wait for the internal lines to be broken first. I've given a couple of scenarios where the green line might have denoted a buy signal, the first occurs prior to a break of the internal..is this valid?
Does it matter? knowing that the internal could provide resistance?

Attachments

• S&P 500 INDEX.jpg
    S&P 500 INDEX.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
Hi Malaguti
the answer to youre question...as far as i can see ...
price is in a major uptrend..as per youre chart
price then pulled back from resistance..you have put on the 45 deg res line..good
that could be potential res if it moves back towards it
now..you must track that minor downtrend that occurred from the p/b from res
you should already have noted potential support zones from that uptrend...that only gives you an idea where support COULD come in
so track the minor downtrend on say 1 minute...when it has burnt out then look for long signals
does that explain ??