Learning tape reading

ok i was looking at EJ on the H1 and i saw EXACTLY what i wanted to see in terms of bars.

What we have is an inside bar which failied to break out of the outside bar and formed a pin bar instead- this is extremely bearish price action... and even more so on the dailies and i'm even going to add to the position here.

Attachments

• ej1.JPG
    ej1.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 144
in the red but im being stubbornhere...letting the stop get hit or letting TP get hit...no cutting losses ...let the price have room to move

i just got stopped out for a hefty 2000 loss.....
hmmm i should have payed attention to my pretty massive lot size relative to my account size....
perhaps risk:reward actually does matter sometimes.
il be trading a third of the size now

just made 1300 of it back with 2 sells with TPs hit on both of them ,set before school

Attachments

• [nl3.JPG
    [nl3.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 139
If you don't know what an acronym means, copy and paste it into Google.
I knew what "AFaHMASP" meant, buy not "W" :cheesy:

Why, Mr Carts again.

How nice to see you posting once more.

For your information, and I am sure that it has simply slipped your mind, W actually stands for W*anker, minus the asterisk of course my dear friend.

Thank you for that, Amber, I just expected you of all people to be more articulate and wondered whether your use of "W" represented something more profound.
I also find it good to see you posting again after all your untimely and unjustified absences.
Sorry it's taken me so long to recognise you.......... :)
Trade well and prosper, my friend.
Richard

........I'll have you know Amber and I have raised the tone and quality of this thread to new heights by our mere presence :cool:

Learning tape reading

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i wanted to find a deeper way of looking at the market, not just trading bounces of support/resistancem something more deep, more pure. Something that would take a lot of time but in the looong run make me a far better trader.

I tried mechanical, indicator based systems, they kinda worked but i lacked consistency from them after a good 3 months of trying them. I tried naked trading, and i wasn't half bad at it, but it didn't match my personailty, trading pin bars or whatever off H4 and the dailies was too long for me, i am too young, too impatient so i went back to a style of trading that i previously attempted with lagging indicators-scalping.

I heard about jesse livermore-the greatest trader of all time perhaps, he based his trading of the tape. I figured im young so i can afford to watch the time and sales (tape) for 2 or 3 years on the YM using 89,150 and 233 tick charts. (the good thing about tick charts is that when the market is slow, illiquid and dull , less opportunities will present themselvesm rather than trading of a 2 minute chart. I heard somewhere that those in the pits don't care about 2 mintute highs or lows, they care about how fast the orders are flying in, who is buying them and at what volume and price.

So i heard from several traders that the best option for me would be to start tape reading the time and sales window, ' how can i trade of that?!?!!' answer-'it helps you understand the market you are trading in, the players, whenever i see 1000 sell orders ON DOM or tape hitting a 61.8% fibo level and price goes down i know to short the market'.

So i looked around for where i could get my hands on this time and sales window, it seemed i would have to pay arounf $55 a month, this was for other vital indicators like $tick aswell.

I was just about to suck up the cost for 6-7 months of this service when i seen i had downloaded ninjatrader from a while back. I found out with great surprise i could see real time data for what i wanted to trade later on (YM) for free! i could get access to tick charts, time and sales and real time data all for free. It took a bit of messing about to get it all configured but it got all sorted and yesterday i began tape reading.

At first i just looked at the price, this was actually on the ES , it was just goingfrom .50,.75 and so on, i hadn't a clue. I started looking at the volume of the tradess and then started to get a feel for what was goign on. The overnight session on ES was so slow , but it meant i could read the tape, buy orders in big volume - around 40+ were flying in (there had been nothing above 40 the whole time, just 1s and 2s) but price wasn't budging to the upside...hmmm, and when even just 3 or 4 sells came through price would shoot down. it was almost as if the sell orders would just squeeze through and then price would pop. So i took a short and it went well .

thats all i've learnt so far but this s*** is going to take years to master!

i'll be posting my thoughts on what i think i have found out etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes you want to feel sorry for the poor little might doesn't it ?