laying system

Hi Kokani,

I came across your question while searching for information on IPI prior to purchasing their system. I appreciate that it is several months since your post but after first-hand experience of IPI, I wanted to issue this warning based upon my own dealings with them.

Having searched and found little or nothing negative to read about them, I rather foolishly took the plunge and parted with the required joining fee of £ 395.00. Ordinarily I would not be so naiive, but the number of glowing testimonials (which had a genuine 'feel', coupled with the security of a money back guarantee) tempted me into going ahead.

The following are my experiences with this outfit to date:

There are two facets to their services regarding horse laying. Firstly, they offer a subscription to their own selection service, providing a single bet per day, for which they charge 195.00 per month. The second service, to which I subscribed, purports to teach you how to make your own selections, to be layed in the 30 to 60 seconds before the race. Anyone buying the 'DIY system' will also receive one month's worth of free daily tips. There is also, apparently, a helpline which uses a low cost 0870 number, should anyone have any concerns or require advice.

IPI's website reveals a very impressive list of previous selections, demonstrating an incredibly high strike rate. I will admit that only after parting with the joining fee did I bother to check the prices... I have to say that the figures disturbed me somewhat, since there were many selections at high market starting prices of 16/1, 20/1 etc., and very very few short priced selections. As anyone who is accustomed to laying on Betfair will already know, an unfancied horse with a high market price will almost invariably attract a much higher price on Betfair. What this translates to is:- If the 'system' selects a horse to lay which is available to back at a regular bookmaker at odds of, say, 20/1 (21.0), chances are that the price to lay that same selection on Betfair may be 31.00 or higher. Thus, you are risking 300.00 with a view to winning 10.00, or indeed risking 3000 to win 100. Many people have lost their shirts by taking the view that such horses 'cannot possibly win', only to be interrupted by one which does. Horses are made of flesh and blood, and simply because previous form and market opinion suggests that they are not worthy to win a race, plenty take the opposing view and do exactly that.

The terms of this outfit's guarantee state that if, after 7 days of receiving their system, you can prove that you 'cannot make a living from laying horses' (by which you would be required to submit copies of your betting exchange account), they will happily provide a full refund. Simple, eh? The sceptical among us would of course be wondering why the guarantee period is so short, but fear not.. all will be revealed!

This is what happened next:

1) Whilst filling out the online order form, it was stated that upon making payment, the system details would usually be available immediately, although it 'could' in certain cases take 24 to 48 hours. The payment was duly processed, and a 'welcome' email was received, stating:

[I]"Thank You for joining IPI LAYING

Within the near future you will receive an email with details how to
play the laying system and make an excellent tax free income.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact our help-line
0904 089 9988 we charge £1 per minute.

We all at IPI LAYING wish you well"
[/I]

Hmmmmmmm, ok... now where was the premium rate helpline mentioned in any of their promotional material? Umm, it wasn’t. Never mind though, I thought, I will reserve judgement..

2) True to their word, IPI started to despatch emails providing their daily lay tips, as well as some free soccer tips… Still no sign of the promised system, though, so I decided to send an email on 22nd August, enquiring as to its whereabouts.

3) No reply to the email, although the system did arrive, via email, on 23rd August, just over 36 hours after I had paid for it. At this point it did occur to me to wonder as to exactly when the 7 day guarantee period would actually begin.

The email confirmed that as an extra bonus I would receive one month’s subscription free of charge to the daily tipping service, whose usual cost would be 195.00 per month. As a further bonus, those wishing to continue with the service beyond the free trial would receive a 25% discount. Great!! What the email also stated was:

[I]"Should you wish to continue for the 2nd month you will receive a 25% discount = £145 per month per tipster service , You are under no obligation to join. If we don't hear from you within the free trial we will presume you wish to continue A £145 fee per system will be debited to your card." [email protected] [/I]

Hmmm, a bit sharp, that wasn’t it? They will debit your card for a service which you did not request, and for which you gave them no authority to use, unless you cancel! Also, you might want to read that again, very carefully (I missed it the first time). They propose to charge 145.00 per system per month; in other words, if you do not 'cancel' the thing that you did not request in the first place, you will find charges totalling 290.00 on your next and every subsequent credit card statement, ie 145.00 for the horse laying tips and 145.00 for the soccer.

4) The 395.00 system occupies a single page and provides instructions for selecting horses to lay based upon methodology which is hardly rocket science and which has been touched upon before in various other methods. You are advised to paper trade for 3-5 days before using the system for real, and to contact IPI before you go ahead just to ensure that you fully understand the principles involved. Now, remember that 7 day guarantee, because it becomes important here… I recognised at this point that I had paid for the system on 21st August, yet I did not receive it until 23rd August. If I now paper traded for 3-5 days, there would be no time left within the guarantee period to trade for real and ‘prove that I cannot make a living from laying horses’… Nevertheless, I began paper trading as soon as I received the system and it is fair to say that I would have been successful during that short period. Being mindful of the guarantee condtion that I would have to provide a copy of my Betfair trading account I began to apply money to the system on 26th August (a Saturday). Conveniently, no-one was available at IPI to take my call to ‘ensure that I was pointing in the right direction’, and since the specifics of the system are such that anyone with any experience of using Betfair could apply them with ease, I did not hesitate to begin placing bets for real.

5) After losing over 200.00 within two days I concluded that because the horses picked by the system tend to be quite highly priced, I was not at all confident that the system was indeed capable of making money. Having such a short space of time in which to ‘test’ the system before the guarantee period expired, I decided to email its IPI’s owner, one Mark Rood, to claim the promised refund.

My email was extremely polite, and I explained that after being involved with horse laying on Betfair for almost four years, with some degree of success, I felt that I had understood his system and implemented it correctly. Actually, I did feel quite genuinely that it might be possible to generate a long-term profit, but candidly a 7 day guarantee period (or in my case a 5½ day guarantee period) was unrealistic given the unpredictable nature of racing. I did not criticise the system, but merely explained that it had not worked for me. I offered to supply copies of my Betfair account in order to comply with the terms of the guarantee. My email was dated 28th August, and was sent to Mr Rood less than 7 days before my purchase of his system, and only 5 days from the date of its receipt.

6) This is the response that I received from Mr Rood:

[I]“We read your b*ll*cks, Are you telling us you and your girlfriend know more about this than us, You were told before you start to call us to make sure you fully understood it which you didn't , Your expiry has come and gone, Should you wish to take this further ask your solicitor to contact us.”[/I]

The fact that this gentleman could not respond in a civilised manner is rather telling in itself. The fact that he states that the expiry of the guarantee had already passed, when demonstrably it had not, suggests dishonesty. The fact that instead of, say, offering to extend the trial to give me time to get a clearer picture, he immediately invites me to involve my solicitor says to me that he is not in the habit of honouring his guarantee and is well used to fending off solicitors who attempt to persuade him to do so.

The guarantee is couched in such a fashion that compliance with it is almost impossible. Equally, because of the way in which the selections are made, it is impossible to ‘prove’ that they were in fact generated by the system. Because of the need to make selections and place bets in the seconds before the race starts, results cannot really be proven, one way or the other.

I do hope that anyone reading this very lengthy post will consider its content very seriously before becoming involved with this man. I cannot state that his system does not work, because to do that definitively would require months, not days of operating it. I can tell you that of the free daily tips provided, one out of seven has won since I began receiving them. This would have produced a small profit since the winner could have been laid at 6.80 (its SP was 6.0 on Ladbrokes). However, it is too early to tell. All I can do is to give you the benefit of my own experience, and it is my honest opinion that Mr Rood is rather less than honourable. It is a great pity if his laying system really does have some merit, because his attitude and actions scream ‘fraudster’. To anyone tempted to purchase his system, please be aware that I would probably be prepared to lay your chances of a refund at very high odds indeed.

Superb posting Hawk.
All too many fraudsters out there waiting to ensnare the unwary

"All too many fraudsters out there waiting to ensnare the unwary"

Yes, Dataminer, agreed. Most though operate under at least a veil of respectability, and do not resort to openly dubious tactics in the manner of this uncouth yob. By the way, my email tracking software suggests that his operation is not based in the UK, but in Tenerife, which might explain his lack of concern for the law.

I did try to do my homework on this one before parting with my money. In retrospect I should have read the warning signs and kept well clear. Frankly I am amazed that I am seemingly the only one to have anything negative to say about IPI, but on the evidence of my own dealings, surely I am not the only one to have fallen foul of them.

As a precaution I have placed a stop on the Visa card used to pay for their system, since I do not trust them not to attempt to relieve me of a further 290.00 at the end of the month.

Send a letter of complaint if your problem is unresolved. Address it to the person immediately responsible for sorting out the problem.

Get evidence. Once you have decided to write, collect any evidence you can to support your claim; invoices, any statement of fact, promise or prediction is clear, fair and not misleading and discloses any relevant assumptions. The accuracy of all material statements of fact on they web site can be substantiated.

Be persistent. If you fail at your first attempt, write another letter of complaint and show that you mean business. Do not be fobbed off by statements such as: "You caused the problem, not us."

Always keep copies of your letters and documents as you may need to refer to them later if you are unable to settle your dispute easily.

What Should The Letter Say?

Your letter of complaint should include an opening paragraph detailing a brief history of your complaint:

a brief description of the service

the date it was carried out

the price you paid for it

how it was paid for -

The second paragraph should state the action you have taken to try and put matters right:

the date you contacted the trader/seller/web site

who you discussed your complaint with (name if possible) and their comments;which I see you got form you post above.

any other action you have taken.The third paragraph should state what you would like the trader/seller to do and by when, but this must be a reasonable time period:

Ask them to honour they return policy

If you feel you are entitled to extra compensation say so, and explain why, but remember, you are under a legal obligation to keep your claim reasonably as possible.

Dont let it drope good luck

Thanks laptop1,

For what it is worth I have already contacted the Trading Standards Office, and will be implementing the procedures shown in your post.

I get the impression that these people are well versed in dealing with disgruntled customers, and if as I suspect they are not actually UK-based it might be difficult to pursue them.

Naturally I will let you know how I get on, although at this stage my main concern is to make others aware of IPI's modus operandi; I rather think that I will not be seeing my money again, but I am quite tenacious and intend to make a nuisance of myself!

The outfit also appears to trade under the name 'Elite Laying', but again I can find little and nothing written about them on the net. Perhaps that is simply another of several guises?

Hawk454 said:
Thanks laptop1,

For what it is worth I have already contacted the Trading Standards Office, and will be implementing the procedures shown in your post.

I get the impression that these people are well versed in dealing with disgruntled customers, and if as I suspect they are not actually UK-based it might be difficult to pursue them.

Naturally I will let you know how I get on, although at this stage my main concern is to make others aware of IPI's modus operandi; I rather think that I will not be seeing my money again, but I am quite tenacious and intend to make a nuisance of myself!

The outfit also appears to trade under the name 'Elite Laying', but again I can find little and nothing written about them on the net. Perhaps that is simply another of several guises?

On their web site it say they are based in the UK.
Terminal House,
Station Approach,
Shepperton, Middlesex
TW17 8AS
UK

if not they are in breach and if they are based in another country, trading standards will still help, they have contacts in other parts of the world. Keep at it.

Basically what you bought was a method saying lay a 25/1..i,e if betfair odds are higher than lets say Ladbrokes, lay betfair price for the horse to lose and buy the lower odds with Ladbrokes,for the horse to win, and maybe wait the last few mins of a race and see what drifts out of the betting and in the last few mins,looking for a weak horse. ... that's what I read in to your post am I correct. … anyway good luck and keep us informed

Hi laptop1,

No, unfortunately their method is far less scientific... They are suggesting simply that we should lay the selections produced by their system and cross our fingers - there is no 'trading' involved. Whilst I will not divulge the specifics of their 'system' here, reference to the Results Page of their own website suggests that it would have been appropriate to lay the following selections during the last week of August:-

2.05 Musselburgh - Easibet.net (16/1)

2.35 Musselburgh - Moist (25/1)

4.35 York (11/1)

14.10 Newmarket - Okikoki (12/1)

15.55 Newmarket - Sensuous (15/2)

14.55 Chester - Marshman (16/1)

1525 Epsom - Texas Gold (8/1)

1620 Warwick - Itchypoo Park (16/1)

1650 Chepstow - Full Spate (12/1)

1725 Chepstow - Elidore (10/1)

1700 Huntingdon - Lowe Go (22/1)

1440 Wolverhampton - Opera Writer (16/1)

1450 Lingfield - Thoughtsofstardom (25/1)

1420 Salisbury - Whistler (20/1)

1550 Salisbury - KIndlelight Debut (10/1)

1630 Musselburgh - Champain Sands (8/1)

I should stress that although the horses are named on IPI's website, they do not make any mention of odds, and the figures quoted are gleaned from Ladbrokes' website. The odds are Labdrokes starting prices, and the odds to lay these on Betfair would have been substantially (in some cases vastly) higher. I think that there are few of us who would be brave or stupid enough to lay a horse even if Betfair could match its 25/1 starting price on the regular markets, let alone do the same thing at 40/1 (which would not infrequently be the price to lay it on Betfair).

The 'system' will often produce several selections in any given race which are appropriate to lay. The selections quoted on IPI's site cannot possibly be proven after the event since they are made a matter of seconds before the beginning of each race. Despite the scorn poured upon me by Mark Rood for my perceived inability to use his system correctly, the horses it selected during the same period tended to have slightly lower odds than the animals quoted on his website. However, despite fulfilling his selection criteria, too many of them succeeded in winning...

If I had not acted on impulse and had bothered to check the Results Page in greater detail before parting with my money, I would not have touched this with a bargepole. The thing that swayed me was the following testimonial from an apparently delighted purchaser..

STEPHEN GALLIMORE
I would just like to say a big thank-you for a horse laying service that beats all others.I have been laying horses on the
exchanges for many years and i have not got any were near the performance of IPI it is one thing laying horses at 10 or 20-1 and finding 10 or 12 winners before one bet goes against you and wipes the profit but to produce a consistent run of 25-30 lays on the run at average odds under 2-1 is exceptional.A big big thank-you and i look forward to many mths of happy profitable betting from now on.

My question therefore is this... Mr Gallimore complains here of the pitfalls of laying horses at 10/1 and 20/1, only to lose his entire profit when one of the selections wins; why therefore, if he can claim to have discovered a 'consistent run of 25-30 lays at average odds under 2/1', does not one horse at these odds appear on IPI's own Results Page, and why, furthermore, do the majority of their supposed selections have prices stretching into double figures?? I rest my case...

Hello Quenkish

Re. your question about email tracking, I use the service provided by www.readnotify.com This provides for the insertion of an invisible attachment to any email, which enables the sender to view information as to the recipient's whereabouts, the time and date the message was viewed and for how long, whether the message was re-opened and whether it was forwarded. I tend to use this service for pretty much everything I send, and have caught out one or two people with it. I believe it has legal effect in the USA, but not sure if the same is true elsewhere. They offer a free trial, I believe and annual subscription isnt too expensive either.

The saga continues

Well, folks, it gets worse...

To continue...

Having monitored the daily tipping service for which Mr Rood proposes to charge 145.00 per month, I find that after 28 days it would have returned a nett loss of 870.50 (375.00 for the lay tips and a further 495.50 for the tips to win) to a level stake of 100.00. I did not bother to monitor the soccer tips provided, though I have no reason to suspect that they were any less unprofitable. Yesterday I emailed Mr Rood, confirming that I do not wish to proceed with either of his proposed services beyond the expiry of the ‘free trial’. Remember that I did not request any free trial in the first place; I merely paid a ‘once only’ fee of 395.00 for the completely useless system for selecting horses to lay… I referred to the following paragraph from Mr Rood’s email dated 23rd August:-

As an EXTRA BONUS starting today you will receive one month free subscription to IPI RACING our daily lay to lose Normal cost £195 per month to subscribe to this system and IPI FOOTBALL bets to win, Football matchs played in UK and E urope Normal cost £195 per month to subscribe to this system .

Should you wish to continue for the 2nd month you will receive a 25% discount = £145 per month per tipster service , You are under no obligation to join. IF WE DON'T HEAR FROM YOU WITHIN THE FREE TRIAL WE WILL PRESUME YOU WISH TO CONTINUE A £145 FEE PER SYSTEM WILL BE DEBITED FROM YOUR C/CARD OR IF WISH TO CANCEL EMAIL [email protected]

This is the response that I received today to yesterday's email:-

This is a very friendly email, Do you not read the very, Very small print you have signed up until 2025, Each month the subscription goes up 15%.
Should you wish to contest this please do so through a very expensive solicitor.
I hope you find this reference to your under-note to your satisfaction.
Kind Regards
Mark
IPI Racing

This, I think is fairly self-explanatory. This delightful character is clearly not content with relieving me of 395.00 for an unworkable piece of nonsense; he would also like to fleece me (given the opportunity) until well into retirement for something equally devoid of merit! Needless to say, I can see no evidence of any ‘very, Very small print’ anywhere on his website www.ipilaying.com nor within any of the emails I have received from him.

Frankly I think that this is the vilest display of bare-faced fraud that I have ever come acrossIt is clear from Mr Rood's demeanour that he considers himself completely immune from any form of retribution, and obviously feels no need to be fearful of the law.

IPITrading IPILaying

rav700 said:
All Fraudsters should be exposed:.....

www.ipilaying.com is a fraudulent site and a scamming operation.....

:eek:

Hi you are absolutely right I went for a free trial of four free bets, paid £10 admin, absolute crap so cancelled after the third bet, then a week later he has taken £25 then £145 from my card.
exchanged emails, rude, I have contacted the bank who will probably refund me the money, also I have contacted the police who are looking into it now.

There is another carbon copy site called www.racinginsider.net which if you look up in whois is the same address

14, Waterbank House
Station Approach
Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8RA
UK

with a bit of research It has lead me to www.a2znorfolk.com and the owners are
Melanie Clarke & Robert Regis if they own these domains they are running these sites.

If anyone else is in the same position as me I would like to hear from you.

IPITrading IPILaying

Hawk454 said:
Well, folks, it gets worse...

To continue...

Having monitored the daily tipping service for which Mr Rood proposes to charge 145.00 per month, I find that after 28 days it would have returned a nett loss of 870.50 (375.00 for the lay tips and a further 495.50 for the tips to win) to a level stake of 100.00. I did not bother to monitor the soccer tips provided, though I have no reason to suspect that they were any less unprofitable. Yesterday I emailed Mr Rood, confirming that I do not wish to proceed with either of his proposed services beyond the expiry of the ‘free trial’. Remember that I did not request any free trial in the first place; I merely paid a ‘once only’ fee of 395.00 for the completely useless system for selecting horses to lay… I referred to the following paragraph from Mr Rood’s email dated 23rd August:-

As an EXTRA BONUS starting today you will receive one month free subscription to IPI RACING our daily lay to lose Normal cost £195 per month to subscribe to this system and IPI FOOTBALL bets to win, Football matchs played in UK and E urope Normal cost £195 per month to subscribe to this system .

Should you wish to continue for the 2nd month you will receive a 25% discount = £145 per month per tipster service , You are under no obligation to join. IF WE DON'T HEAR FROM YOU WITHIN THE FREE TRIAL WE WILL PRESUME YOU WISH TO CONTINUE A £145 FEE PER SYSTEM WILL BE DEBITED FROM YOUR C/CARD OR IF WISH TO CANCEL EMAIL [email protected]

This is the response that I received today to yesterday's email:-

This is a very friendly email, Do you not read the very, Very small print you have signed up until 2025, Each month the subscription goes up 15%.
Should you wish to contest this please do so through a very expensive solicitor.
I hope you find this reference to your under-note to your satisfaction.
Kind Regards
Mark
IPI Racing

This, I think is fairly self-explanatory. This delightful character is clearly not content with relieving me of 395.00 for an unworkable piece of nonsense; he would also like to fleece me (given the opportunity) until well into retirement for something equally devoid of merit! Needless to say, I can see no evidence of any ‘very, Very small print’ anywhere on his website www.ipilaying.com nor within any of the emails I have received from him.

Frankly I think that this is the vilest display of bare-faced fraud that I have ever come acrossIt is clear from Mr Rood's demeanour that he considers himself completely immune from any form of retribution, and obviously feels no need to be fearful of the law.

I am not sure if I should reply to each person or not but here goes

Hi you are absolutely right I went for a free trial of four free bets, paid £10 admin, absolute crap so cancelled after the third bet, then a week later he has taken £25 then £145 from my card.
exchanged emails, rude, I have contacted the bank who will probably refund me the money, also I have contacted the police who are looking into it now.

There is another carbon copy site called www.racinginsider.net which if you look up in whois is the same address

14, Waterbank House
Station Approach
Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8RA
UK

with a bit of research It has lead me to www.a2znorfolk.com and the owners are
Melanie Clarke & Robert Regis if they own these domains they are running these sites.