Large Post Attachments

Sharky

Staff
Just a quick note to say that if anyone in the past has been unable to upload large files as attachments to posts (ie. bigger than 2mb), we've now increased the size limit to 64 mb.

Sharky said:
Just a quick note to say that if anyone in the past has been unable to upload large files as attachments to posts (ie. bigger than 2mb), we've now increased the size limit to 64 mb.

Thanks Sharky

From 2mb to 64mb is a fair sized jump.

I wonder if you would consider allowing .bmp BitMap files from Msft Paint program??
I just checked (again) and didn't see that listed. Paint is fairly common program.

Thanks again.. agpilot

FYI, MS Paint can also be saved as gif or jpg. Just click File and Save As.

dbphoenix said:
FYI, MS Paint can also be saved as gif or jpg. Just click File and Save As.

Hi dbp
No it can't. Not in my operating systems. None of the Win 95 or 98 or 98SE can that I've seen can in their paint programs. Even with updates. I suppose XP does.

Nooo I'am not going to upgrade to XP untill late this year. I have two machines that are working just fine and are plenty fast on cable and networked for backup if needed. I'll only go to XP when I get all new hardware next Dec or Jan. Internet speed is my consern more than cpu speed. I am close to 3mb now on net access so I'd rather not fiddle with it.

There are a lot of other people not on XP yet either so allowing the Bitmap files would help..
Why not if there is a 64mb limit... agpilot

agpilot

that's odd - I'm on windows 98 and if I try to save the dialogue box shows up with save as type at the bottom with a scroll that gives me 4 bmp options + a gif and jpg option. I thought that was standard - guess you live and learn!

jon

barjon said:
agpilot

that's odd - I'm on windows 98 and if I try to save the dialogue box shows up with save as type at the bottom with a scroll that gives me 4 bmp options + a gif and jpg option. I thought that was standard - guess you live and learn!

jon

Hi barjon:
I do not have your choices. When I click Files\Save as... I get the following 4 choices:

Monochrome bitmap
16 color bitmap
256 bitmap
24-bit bitmap

I have used Win 95, Win 98 and 3 copies of Win 98SE in various systems.
I often do complete updates at Msft website. What else could I have done?
I just do not have any other choices like you do. I'll bet there are a fair amount of others too.

Besides, if you now have a 64mb limit... Why not allow bmp?? Thanks. agpilot

agpilot

mmm, what's your paint version - mines 5.00.1740.1

Sharky will probably pick up your bmp question in due course. If not (he's a busy man!!) send him a pm.

jon

barjon said:
agpilot

Sharky will probably pick up your bmp question in due course. If not (he's a busy man!!) send him a pm.

jon

Hi again. barjon
Lots of posts on such a simple item.. Well.. I looked for a version number and there isn't one.
The normal place is inside the "About" page. It just states: Microsoft (R) Paint Windows 98 1981-1998 Then my computer system name etc.. No serial number or version.

Ya know, I bought my disk the very first day that the software started selling. An early copy with a slightly outdated Paint? I am lucky that way quite often.. (grin)
Another thing, I don't recall Paint ever being mentioned during all those Msft updates..

Well, take bitmap into consideration when ya get time to think about it. cheers... agpilot

barjon said:
agpilot

jon

Hi Barjon

Ahhhh.. I may have found the reason you can save files to more than just Bitmap.
You have other Microsoft programs such as Word or some Office program. That can add
the jpg or other file types. I only have Win98SE.. agpilot
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Msft Web site:..
CAUSE
This issue can occur because Paint only provides support for bitmap files. However, if you install a program that provides filters for other types of graphic files (such as .gif or .jpg files), Paint can then provide support for these file types.
RESOLUTION
To work around this issue and use Paint for files other than bitmap files, install a program that provides the appropriate graphics filter. For example, Microsoft Word for Windows provides an assortment of filters you can install.

Agpilot,

This is a very nice free graphics/video viewer that lets you change the characteristics of the graphics files (size, no of colours, contrast etce etc etc) and also saves very efficiently in other formats like .gif or .png

http://www.irfanview.com/

Kiwi

Hi Agpilot,

Sorry I missed your post. The reason for not allowing *.bmp files is because they are huge in size compared to .gif/.jpg or .png. They were never really designed for the web, and these other graphic are *usually* just as easy to export to. Perhpas you could try Kiwi's suggestion of the IranView program.

If it's really necessary I can enable .bmp file attachment - but would rather people to use a format designed for the web.

Cheers,