Laptop shopping

don_h said:
its a got a high price tag :eek: but a for trader of your high calibre a mere snip, surely.

cheers

don

Vivid imagination there Don :eek: but I think its definately worth spending the money on one of the tools that makes the difference in your success...

Only the finest in natural enhancements ay Zambuck... A Pamela free zone...

Last edited:
wasp said:
Doh! Just customized and it came to £3'900... must have a rethink!

wasp did you opt for the gold plating and encrusted with the finest gemstones and pammy for the night :LOL:

perhaps a lesser model would be fine, but the best is the best imo, buy cheap, pay double.

(I want one and I want it now, quote: veruca salt :LOL: )

edit
just had thought, dell sell on ebay, I think its called dell outlet they are refurb machines, latest spec but are returns. go check it out may be worth a look, see what they have.

Last edited:
I would say trading fits firmly in the business category of laptop design, gaming is largely about the graphics, whilst trading requires rudimentary graphics.
My thoughts would be for a Core duo or core duo2 processor, more for any future apps that I might use, 1gb Ram, SATA 5400 HD, wi-fi connectivity.
Acer do reasonably priced models, but not sure what their rep is

Before you buy Apple look into random shutdown probs, should be able to google the prob, was a feature on Sky news tech spot last week about it as an ongoing fault whith many mac books

I like the apple but I would want XP and if like Zambuck said, they don't do so then they'd be off the list really.

......Now you have really BLOWN it.......Wasp did say he wants Pammy FREE Zone...!!!!

don_h said:
wasp did you opt for the gold plating and encrusted with the finest gemstones and pammy for the night :LOL:

You can run XP on a Mac now using this:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

its not like the old Virtual PC thing they used to have which was rubbish.
It's dual bootable in OSX or XP (provided you get the new Intel Macs)
I've used it and its pretty damn good....
best of both worlds.

jhaughey said:

best of both worlds.

Cheers, just when I was looking to reduce my shortlist :LOL: decisions decisions...

zambuck said:
......Now you have really BLOWN it.......Wasp did say he wants Pammy FREE Zone...!!!!

thats cool zam, cos now I can tick that option and have her all to myself :cheesy:

cheers

don

I have read this one before.....My concern was that Apple will not support XP issues when installed on Apple.....and Microsoft may not support issues with XP if installed on Apple.....

So unles you are hardware and software guru I would not opt for this dual boot......Reminds me of 3.11 days when I used triple boot called DOS, DOS GAME and WINDOWS......

What a pain...!!!

zambuck

jhaughey said:

best of both worlds.

.......bouncing away into the sunset.....what bliss...!!!

don_h said:
thats cool zam, cos now I can tick that option and have her all to myself :cheesy:

cheers

don

Hi

Hi Wasp,
Oddly enough I was just reading the following earlier today (from a general computer tip type newsletter a friend sends on to me each week). I will quote it verbatim so best credit the site also http://thundercloud.net/infoave/archives2006/week-247.htm The article is about halfway down that page but for ease I will requote it here:

Getting A New Computer
I have heard a lot of bad comments about Dell and Gateway in your newsletters. I am needing to buy a new computer. (As I have Windows 98 and want something that will work with an Ipod.) What kind on computer do you suggest for your subscribers.

Answer
We've revised our opinion of Dell since they've shown they are indeed sensitive to their customers. In our Rant called "I Got A New Dell, Dude!" we state the reasons for our initial recommendation against buying Dell computers and the reasons why we changed our minds. So, while we feel that Dell still overloads its computers with too many applications - most other computer companies do the same - Dell is no longer putting adware/hijacker "Ask Bar" (SmileyCentral, FunWebProducts, MySearch, MyWebSearch) on any of their new computers. So, you can feel comfortable about purchasing from Dell. Dell provides a standard "Restore" disk with their computers. Not good. But they do provide an option where you can order the full Windows XP CD-ROM for around $10.00 which is well worth it. Even though we think they should provide it free, as far as we know Dell is the only one of the major computer brands which provides a full Windows CD for a very low additional cost. A good Dell computer configured properly will cost between $900.00 and $1100.00. Of course you cheapen one down or load one up and the price will vary quite a bit. If you want a simple computer that will get the job done, you can get a Dell, including shipping for around $500.00. And trust us: If you're used to Windows 98, you'll be thrilled with any new computer with Windows XP on it :)

As far as Gateway is concerned, every Gateway we've had the opportunity to see or work on (back in our "computer repair person" days) was slow because they were really overloaded with pre-installed software (even more than Dell and about the same as HP/Compaq). In all fairness to Gateway it's been several years since we've worked on one or even used one. But in talking to a computer tech I know, he informs me his opinion of Gateway is about the same as ours. Not very good. And, for the most part, they're overpriced.

HP/Compaq computers are over-priced and they suffer from Nortonitis. Nortonitis is a computer-borne disease named after Norton (Symantec) software products - which are generally bloated, consumer-unfriendly, and sometimes barely compatible with the operating system for which they were created. While HP/Compaq's customer service appears to have improved, we can't say much for their computer. HP/Compaq computers do not come with Windows CD (at least not the ones we've seen). They come with a "Restore" disk. Not good. Many people swear by HP/Compaq - if you've had one and been satisfied with it, that's great. Our opinion of them is not that good.

Actually, we've heard good things about the new E-Machines. E-Machines is a company that nearly went broke a few years back. Now they've apparently made a commitment to improving quality and they've stopped using low-end component inside their computers. For a low-priced, low-end computer, E-Machines provide a lot of bang for the buck. But, they come with a lot of (read: OVERLOADED WITH) pre-installed software, and the ones we've looked at do not come with a Windows CD-ROM. They come with a "Restore" disk. Not good. Expect to pay around $600.00 for decent "E-Machines" computer.

Alienware provides top of the line computers if you have money to burn. Alienware is the choice of demanding gamers. Even if you're not a gamer, you can be sure that extreme gaming computers are very powerful and very robust machines. If you want to spend a lot of money for a very top-quality computer, you might want to consider Alienware. Expect to pay about $1600.00 or more for decent Alienware computer. Most Alienware computers are not over-loaded with software and do include a full Windows CD-ROM. (Late addition- We've just learned that Alienware computers, arguably the best computers you can buy, are now available from Dell.com.)

More important, though, than brand name, is what's inside. Here are a few things you should consider when buying a new computer:
1. Get the new Intel "Duo" processor if you can afford it. However if you don't need a super-computer you might be able to find a real bargain on Pentium 4 - dual core computers right now.
2. Make sure the computer is "Windows Vista" capable - Make sure it can run Vista Premium
3. Make sure the computer you're consider has a separate graphics card of at least 128MB. You don't want "integrated graphics"
4. If you're an audio-freak and use your computer as a movie theatre or MP3/Audio entertainment center, you don't want "integrated audio" you want a separate "audio card". And you're going to want some good speakers with your computer. We're not audio buffs so if you are, you probably know more about speakers than we do. If you just want you computer to make nice sounds and play a few MP3s, etc. integrated audio is fine. The low-end speakers are fine too if you just like to hear buzzes, beeps, and John Fogerty sing "Bad Moon Risin'"
5. Since Windows Vista is supposed to be released by February 2007 and that's just a few months away, either make sure the computer you buy comes with a coupon for BIG discount on Windows Vista or, preferably, a coupon for a free upgrade to Windows Vista. You're going to want to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista at some point, so consider this when buying a new computer on the cusp between Windows XP and Windows Vista. If you buy a high-end computer, that comes with a full Windows disk, insist on an upgrade coupon or certificate entitling you to a Windows Vista DVD free.
6. And last but not least...GET LOTS AND LOTS OF RAM. Do not buy a new computer without at least 1 GB of RAM. We highly recommend 2 GB or more. You cannot have too much RAM and we can only tell you that as time goes by, applications running on Windows Vista and Windows Vista itself, are going to chew up huge chunks of RAM. Get as much RAM as you can afford.

Hope that helps add to your confusion :cheesy:

alliance said:
Hope that helps add to your confusion :cheesy:

:LOL: nah its actually helping! Knowing what makes a good system for trading is gonna help me decide.

Next query of course is, wait for February and Vista or not?! :confused:

Next query of course is, wait for February and Vista or not?!

Now that's the real question, and I'm always left wondering is it ever safe to get a windows product b4 Sp2, so how long a wait is that :):

oops

Sorry Wasp, forgot to add that IF u did decide on a preconfigured DELL, then this site http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29897 has a couple of guys (MikeT and Rayman) who highlight the best Dell bargains of the week. The link page above mentions two particular machines but if u are not buying immediately then it's maybe worth keeping an eye on the Deals page on the site over the next few weeks :)

wasp said:
:LOL: nah its actually helping! Knowing what makes a good system for trading is gonna help me decide.

Next query of course is, wait for February and Vista or not?! :confused:

depends when vista is actually hitting the streets, if its as soon as february i would prefer to wait and get the lapper then but if there's a release delay, it could be ages.

my mate downloaded the beta version - reckoned it was awesome, he cant wait to buy it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

Last edited:
....Absolutely agree with the comments, although I always wait until SP1 as that is when things are preety stable......However it is SP2 when things start getting solid state....

....But then buggers will roll out new platform....

I think there is a very good life left in XP Pro/Home yet and it will be many years before I will get Vista.....probably preinstalled on a new VAIO in a couple of years time.....

Always buy full version of platform rather than upgrade......

regards

zambuck

roguetrader said:
Now that's the real question, and I'm always left wondering is it ever safe to get a windows product b4 Sp2, so how long a wait is that :):