Junior broker rare diamonds Job offer..

I was offered one of these roles years ago and went to the interview, place was like a kindergarten, nobody over the age of about 23, all had to ask permission to go to the bathroom apart from designated breaks which your boss told you whether you could have. Basically they look at share holders in large companies like Vodafone where retirees have their pensions invested and you just cold call the names on the list all day long selling them land, diamond, carbon credits, whatever the latest product is. If someone closed a deal someone rang a bell and everyone started clapping, god only knows what the person on the other end of the phone thought when their "investment adviser" stopped talking and randomly clapped. So cheesy.

It was like a parody of a real investment/broking company. The guy interviewing practically creamed himself when i told him I actually read the Financial Times, i doubt anyone there could read at all.

It was exactly like the film "Boiler Room" minus the flash Lambo driving wall street types and instead spotty kids out of college wearing their dads suits then going down the local bars in the evening telling all the girls they worked in the city.

To be fair i have no doubt a couple of stand out performers were banking good money, but is it really worth earning 7-8k a month for 6 months then getting busted for securities fraud and putting that on your cv?

In recent months I have been cold called by "brokers" to buy things like carbon credits, building plots in Brazil, and yellow diamonds (Walbrook & co. website walbrookand.co. )

All these companies claim to be located in prestigous London addresses, The Gherkin, Hatton Garden etc. What do I do?. I keep them talking. I am basically a very boring old man and love to talk. (more than I love money). I have strung these chaps along for hours. Discussing how I would like to visit and see their diamonds or take a trip to Brazil etc etc. They always get tired and offer to call me back... which they do. When they call, if it is not convenient I get them to call me back again. I can string them along for weeks. I enjoy my chats, bringing in anecdotes (usually baseless) , making jokes and having a good chuckle. Usally the cold callers don't see the joke. If I was a kind person I would tell them up front that I am wasting their time. Instead I let them them find out for themselves that I am not the complete old fool that I seem when I ramble on at them. The truth is that I am very tight fisted and I see these conversations as a free leisure pursuit requiring as much intelligence as, say, Soduko. I think we should call the game Catching Cold Callers or CCC for short. It might end the cold calling industry.

It is quite a good game. It is basically exploring the parameters of how boring you can be without totally exasperating somebody. Its a bit sadistic really. One day I might get taken off that database that the cold callers use.

In recent months I have been cold called by "brokers" to buy things like carbon credits, building plots in Brazil, and yellow diamonds (Walbrook & co. website walbrookand.co. )

All these companies claim to be located in prestigous London addresses, The Gherkin, Hatton Garden etc. What do I do?. I keep them talking. I am basically a very boring old man and love to talk. (more than I love money). I have strung these chaps along for hours. Discussing how I would like to visit and see their diamonds or take a trip to Brazil etc etc. They always get tired and offer to call me back... which they do. When they call, if it is not convenient I get them to call me back again. I can string them along for weeks. I enjoy my chats, bringing in anecdotes (usually baseless) , making jokes and having a good chuckle. Usally the cold callers don't see the joke. If I was a kind person I would tell them up front that I am wasting their time. Instead I let them them find out for themselves that I am not the complete old fool that I seem when I ramble on at them. The truth is that I am very tight fisted and I see these conversations as a free leisure pursuit requiring as much intelligence as, say, Soduko. I think we should call the game Catching Cold Callers or CCC for short. It might end the cold calling industry.

It is quite a good game. It is basically exploring the parameters of how boring you can be without totally exasperating somebody. Its a bit sadistic really. One day I might get taken off that database that the cold callers use.

Keep it up, when they're talking to you they're not stealing from anyone else.

I agree. But is also a good game... if you have the nerve for it. Play acting. And you can get a little abuse at the end. The trick is to string them as long as possible without making them angry. Who wants to upset people?

I used to get text messages saying I was due compensation for my recent car accident (I hadnt had one). I texted them back and they called me, in the end I told them I had replied purely to waste their time, strangely I haven't heard from them again.