It's All About The Pips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bearface

This is how to change the code to edit indicators in MT4 which will make the change permanent across all your charts.

First, if you are intending to change any colours right click on the candle on your chart, select
Properties
Colours
Choose the colour from the palette (nicely co-ordinated please, Zak is good at Interior Design and all that malarky) and make a note of the exact spelling, spacing and upper/lowercase format as you will need to type this EXACTLY into the coding.

OK, here we go for Heiken Ashi to change colours and/or thickness of the candle:-

In MT4 (MetaTrader), with your charts showing, go to the tool bar and select
View
Navigator
Custom Indicators

Right click on "Heiken Ashi" (or whichever indicator you wish to change)
Select "Modify"

This brings up a new window (takes a second) called "MetaEditor - [Heiken Ashi]" (see screenshot)
If you want to create a new indicator, on the toolbar click on
File
Save As

and rename, say "Heiken Ashi Slim" (this should default to your "Indicators" folder)
Then click "ok" - the tab at the top should now be your new indicator name.
NOTE: If you rename the indicator you will have to load it onto your charts again. If you just change the code on the existing indicator it will change wherever that indicator is loaded.

You should see in the window the code for the indicator - the screenshot shows this clearly.

Next or if you just want to change the existing indicator
Just type over the existing colour with the colour you want
or
Just change the line width to the width you want - the higher the number, the fatter the line.

Then you have to scroll down and change them again under "SetIndexStyle..." again, see screenshot.
Make sure you don't delete any of the ) or , or you will be up the creek without a paddle.

When you are done being Picasso click on "Compile" on the toolbar.
In the bottom window (Description) you should see "0 error(s), 0 warning(s)" if you've done it correctly, if you have errors you have probably typed the colour wrong or, well, completely messed up really!
But... if you have the "0" message you can close the MetaEditor window and if you have changed the original indicator's coding you should have hot pink and lime green candles (or whatever you chose), or, if you renamed the indicator you can load it onto your charts.

Sorry it's so waffly but it takes some explaining.

If you don't fancy being a bit nerdy I attach my fat and thin Heiken Ashi which you can save into your "Experts/Indicators" folder.

Happy coding

Da Vinci RS

Many thanks RS for your help with this...

Guys if anyone else can help with questions as well it would be much appreciated.

Hope the charts help...

D

Hi Dan,

I was reviewing this trades and two questions came up:

- What was the initial risk to reward ration on the eurusd trade?
- What made you bank a part of the eurusd position at 1.2875?

In general, do you usually take trades that have less than one reward/risk ratio?

thanks

Good question..

This varies for me and i dont have a text book answer for this as in the real world of trading you have to think whilst you are in the trade and judge it with that particular setup. If i remember correctly why i took part of the EURUSD off at 75 was because of the support (previous low) at 60...

So what i do is enter part of a trade b4 a break, then on the break, then close part at the previous high or low for say 30-50 pips then run the balance. This way i lock in some pips to the pip bank and if it bounces against me i stop myself out for BE or small loss but if i nail it, i make a hundred plus...

Do that on 3 to 5 trades a day and mainly with the trend and u are making a couple of hundred piparoonies a day.

Trust that makes sense..In a rush as got to bath my little girl.

D

I have to say a big congrats to Chris S...

Chris took the USDCAD trade with perfection and made 250 plus pips...

A legend in the making.

Well done. See u all tom.

D

Oil days

Hello Dan

A lovely day yesterday with just over 500 pips thanks to only small losses on the Aussie and nice pips from the yens falling and best of all a huge day in Crude.

In crude I missed the initial break from the 1hr20ma yesterday morning (red arrow) but caught a 123 trade twice (black arrows). Just goes to show that all is not lost if you miss the initial move.

Another great day today despite missing the London open when crude fell again after inventories for another 140 pips.
A wierd spike in crude this afternoon to the 4 hourly 20ma (faint orange line) was another great short for 110 pips. Just happy I was at my screen when it happened.

Only three trades today, my other was GBPJPY. I went long last night from the bounce off the 1hr20 ma and the bounces up of the ma's all day today have been like ATM. I wish I was still in but the Fed announcement this afternoon made me chicken out.

I am posting the WTI chart (the OIL chart looks very similar) and also the GBPJPY.
Thanks for everything, I am really enjoying the live room!
Nicola

Attachments

• gbpjpy.gif
    gbpjpy.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 187
  • wti trades.gif
    wti trades.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Great trading Nicola - looks like you have really nailed this system. Hope you carry on doing so - just keep to the strategy, don't get cocky (it happens to us all!) as the market will find you out.
Happy pipping!
DC

rollingstone thanks very much for your help yet again your a star x

Few more questions, first is it possible to display price where your mouse is hovering (or something like that) as its not easy to work out where the price is on chart when setting stops etc. The only other idea ive got is using a price tag....

Also, can someone explain or point me in the right direction of info on pivots. From what I understand it is an average of OLHC for that period. correct? So does this mean for today the daily pivot will move around as low and high change...? or is it for the previous periods data? Also, how are the S1,2,3 and R1,2,3 for the pivots calculated.
Thanks again

made my first (demo) trade today on CABLE and what should have been 60 odd pips didn't quite work out as i set TP a bit high and wasn't watching it, tried to use trailing SL but it was too close and got stopped out by slight retracement i think. Oh well, if I'd been watching it it would have been fine and is nonetheless my first step towards grasping this strategy in the real (demo) world!

Happy pippin'

Thanks DC
You are absolutely right and I have had my bad days when that has happened :eek:
Trying to be really disciplined this week and trade less, only really good trades with the trend.
Nicola

Great trading Nicola - looks like you have really nailed this system. Hope you carry on doing so - just keep to the strategy, don't get cocky (it happens to us all!) as the market will find you out.
Happy pipping!
DC

AUDUSD – The AUD can’t break the daily 20ma and 50ma and after testing twice has fallen back to its WP at 0.6590. The 21 CCI on the 60min chart is a little oversold now and would like to see a small pullback before a push lower to the MS1 at 0.6500. Use the triggers and watch the break of the DS1 at 0.6580 level.

USDCAD – With CABLE pulling back down again after a strong push higher with the FTSE, the USDCAD should remain supported around the 1.2000 level. Be patient with this and wait to see the direction of the USD this morning, as any further pullbacks in GBPUSD will see the USD rise back to the 4hr 20ma at 1.2275 level.

EURGBP – Tight box between the 4hr 20ma and the daily 20ma. Look for a break of 0.9320 and MP on the downside at 0.9195. Yes it might be worth playing inside the box with stops wither side of the support and resistance. Watch CABLE for direction in GBP as if this falls below the MS1 we should see EURGBP pop above the 0.9320 level.

EURUSD – Double top and now boxed between the 4hr 20ma and 50ma. It looks like the neckline has been broken and a move south could be back on. Is the squeeze over? A break below the 4hr 50ma at 1.3065 level would see a push towards the WP at 1.3014 level. This is the last line of defence and we need to see a break of the psychological 1.3000 for a real push to the lows again at 1.2750.

CABLE – Ok so no double top like EUR but trying to hold support at 4hr 20ma and 50ma. A break below the WP at 1.4000 would certainly see the downward trend back on again and test the lows at 1.3500. Expect support above 1.4000…Patient here and wait for entry with triggers. Lets see a move through the 4hr 20ma for a test to the WP.

GOLD – Boxed between the 4hr 20ma and WP at $874.00. It is grinding slowly lower and broken 15min support. Would prefer to be short closer to the 60min 20ma with a protected stop. If you brave keep a tight stop on this but it looks likely to test the DS1 at $878.00 to begin with. I will remain patient and wait for trigger.

OIL - 4hr chart is the one to watch. The MP holds again and clear support of last 3 lows. Any break of MP at $43.40 level would surely see a push to the lows at $37.00. Some of you might be in already on a long play with a stop below the MP. Heavy resistance at the MR1 at $50.20. I will be waiting for the break.

Enjoy and see you just after 7.00am.

Dan

Good morning all.

I hope you are well.

Yesterday saw that little break of the 4hr 50sma at 89.60 on USDJPY so should remain quite bid IF it manages to hold the 90.00 area.15m 20ema has crossed south through the 15m 50sma and not overly appealling until it breaks 90.20. Best to sit out for the moment until something develops.

GBPJPY-Actually looking pretty weak IF it falls through 60m 50sma at 127.00 but not a lot of room to downside with crossing 4hr 20&50 into the positive. Best to wait for clearer direction in USDJPY before committing to anything here.

EURJPY-Looks like a double-top on the 60m chart and if EURUSD falls through 1.3100 level I would expect to see this pair lower.Look for break 117.50 IF USDJPY fails to hold 90.00.

CHFJPY-A tiny bit oversold on 60m CCI but a break of pivot could well see this lower this morning. Any order below 77.50 could well get filled now the support line on 15m has been broken.Summary…..Best 2 would be EURJPY and CHFJPY.

Keep eyes open for breaks of given levels.

More to follow, have a great day.

Good morning all

Well quiet day to start with but made a few pips on AUDUSD. James hit GODL perfectly for the move down to the Wp at $874.00.

AUDUSD - Short 0.6585 - Banked 0.6550 and 0.6580

GOLD - (James) Short 883.00 - Banked $880 and $879.00

Short now..

EURJPY short at 117.95..A preemptive hit but like the EURUSD lower so thought i would short. Banked part at 45 for 50 pips. Lets see...

GBPJPY short at 127.45...Another preemptive hit...Looking for the 123 move south. Needs to break the 127.00...Banked part here for 45 and stop above the 15min 50ma.

Well done guys...Great controlled trading.

Dan

Attachments

• audusd.gif
    audusd.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 157
  • eurjpy.gif
    eurjpy.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 161
  • gbpjpy.gif
    gbpjpy.gif
    20 KB · Views: 149
  • gold.gif
    gold.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 156
More toys...

rollingstone thanks very much for your help yet again your a star x

Few more questions, first is it possible to display price where your mouse is hovering (or something like that) as its not easy to work out where the price is on chart when setting stops etc. The only other idea ive got is using a price tag....

Also, can someone explain or point me in the right direction of info on pivots. From what I understand it is an average of OLHC for that period. correct? So does this mean for today the daily pivot will move around as low and high change...? or is it for the previous periods data? Also, how are the S1,2,3 and R1,2,3 for the pivots calculated.
Thanks again

made my first (demo) trade today on CABLE and what should have been 60 odd pips didn't quite work out as i set TP a bit high and wasn't watching it, tried to use trailing SL but it was too close and got stopped out by slight retracement i think. Oh well, if I'd been watching it it would have been fine and is nonetheless my first step towards grasping this strategy in the real (demo) world!

Happy pippin'

Hi Bearface

Thanks for your kind words, glad to be of help.

PRICE

I attach my Magnified Market Price indicators which displays the price on the charts. You know how to re-code now so you can change the colour, font and size to suit if you want to use it. It defaults to top left of your chart but you can click and drag it to where you want. You just need to change the "bid" numbers in the code to get the number of decimal places you want.

The indicators are all coded slightly differently to adjust for the number of decimal places that need to show. Also, the Gold price helps get your brain around the price, you just need to think in terms of moving the decimal place one to the left, ie as I type the price is on 970.3 which equates to $97.03 USD, comprendez?

Or,
Press F8 on you keyboard which brings up the properties menu (or right click, select properties). Go to "colours", "foreground" and select the colour you want. This displays a line and the price on the right hand side of your charts.

And...
On the bottom of your chart screen the OHLC (open, high, low, close) displays automatically as you whiz your mouse around (on WHC anyway). If it's not showing press F8, Common, Show OHLC.

Also...
You have your crosshair on the toolbar, looks like a +, this shows the price and time as you move around your chart area.

Just for good measure I also attach my Time Left to Candle Close which I have on my longer time-frame charts. Just a little extra - special offer day.

PIVOTS

As far as I know pivots are worked out on yesterdays OHLC so they shouldn't vary during the day. There are lots of different pivot indicators so you need to use Dan's to keep in sync with his references.

YOUR TRADE

Woohoo, great start. Keep going on demo, there's no rush. A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Congratulations on taking that first step. :)

Have fun, keep up the hard work.

RS

Attachments

• 60m CHART - TIME LEFT TO CANDLE CLOSE.mq4
    1.6 KB · Views: 224
  • MAGNIFIED MARKET PRICE - NON-JPY PAIRS.mq4
    656 bytes · Views: 220
  • MAGNIFIED MARKET PRICE - JPY PAIRS.mq4
    656 bytes · Views: 229
  • MAGNIFIED MARKET PRICE - GOLD.mq4
    656 bytes · Views: 240
Last edited:
Cheers very much RS that info is very useful.

I do have another more general question and that is how do you keep interested while your waiting for setups? Do you set a lot of alerts so that when what your waiting to happen happens you are made aware and can do whatever else in the mean time? Because staring at charts gets a bit boring and I can see myself going for silly trades for the sake of a bit of excitement rather than waiting for the right setups (which seem to go so nicely, just a case of waiting for them to show)

heres what i worked out about pivots:

For anyone who doesn't know already, about the pivots used by Dan et al the pivot seems to be calculated from previous periods data (ie previous day for day pivot, previous month for monthly, etc) and R/S 1 is the high/low of that period. The distance from that average of the previous period (OLHC/4) to the high is then called R1 from the pivots, 2x that distance is R2 etc.

So if the price today hits DR2 we know it has travelled twice as far from the PREVIOUS days average as the HIGH for that day travelled from said average. Same for DS2 except with LOW's rather than highs. Basic stuff but it makes the importance of pivots apparent and so we see why price respects them (and hence they make good targets, barriers, etc)

Good morning all.

I’m hoping a few of you were patient enough to wait for the break of 117.50 on EURJPY yesterday afternoon or whether you were holding from morning with a sensible stop. With USDJPY and EURUSD eventually playing ball there was a couple of hundred pips available for the taking there. The other one from the morning session, CHFJPY did eventually break that level too and now looks very tasty on the 60m chart. An oder below 77.35 could be the way forward on this pair for a move lower.

USDJPY-Sitting on the support on 60m chart this now needs to break weekly pivot at 88.80 for a push much lower.The first sign of a break of DS1 at 89.20 could see us trying to anticipate the break of that weekly pivot.

EURJPY-A nice move yesterday now sees this oversold (see 84cci on 60m chart).We need to see a pullback to 116.00 before looking to go short again.

GBPJPY-Had a good run with sterling yesterday but now fallen off and retraced back to 4hr 20ema. Below pivot so cannot go long before a break of 128.00 Keep an eye on cable. If it can manage to pop up over the 1.4265 level it might kick some life into GBPJPY. Looks like it’s starting finding support off 5m 20ema but not getting too excited prior to the 128.00 level.

CHFJPY-A nice little triangle pattern break and now WP and DP above these could possibly hold this down.Needs to break that 77.35 level to confirm the move.

To summarize….

If it’s going to be a weak yen session then I am looking for that 128.00 level on GBPJPY and on the other hand, plan b would be CHFJPY short through 77.35 if it’s going to be a stronger Yen session.A break of 89.00 on the downside or 90.00 upside on USDJPY should show us the way!

Have a good day.

Zak

Good morning all,

Its Friday and looking forward to making some pips this morning…

AUDUSD – The perfect entry for AUD was at 4.45pm last night. Triple top and perfect entry after the 3rd high. DS1 holding support at 0.6430 level. A retracement is needed and wait for a lower high on the 15min chart before a continuation move lower.

USDCAD –The chart is directly opposite to CABLE. Watch GBPs direction for movement in the CAD this am. Any further weakness in the USD will see CABLE test the highs again and the USDCAD test the 60min 20ma. USDCAD is sitting above the 60min 20ma which is a sign of strength. Any break below here will target the 60min 50ma and then WS1 at 1.2170. Again if USD strengthens this am look for a break above the MP at 1.2325.

EURUSD – Heavy fall late afternoon and evening makes EUR very hard to sell here. Look for a retracement back towards the 60min 20ma. Watch the 7MA cross the 15min 20ma for any support. Once back towards the 60min 20ma look for a double top and a directional change on the 15min chart for a continuation move lower.

CABLE – It’s a big day with advance GDP out for the States. Will GBP hold this 4hr 20ma? The Daily 20ma is holding resistance but the lows are getting higher suggesting a break out at some point today. The GDP is expected to be very weak at -5.4%. The resistance is at 1.4400 and look for a confirmed break here for a move higher. The 15min chart suggests support at 4hr 20ma at 1.4200. Any break below here will see further weakness down to the DS1 at 1.4100. Won’t be looking for any long plays until we see a confirmed 123 support off the Dp at 1.4260 level.

GOLD – Big lesson from yesterday.. The WP is a key support or resistance level. Look at the bounce yesterday afternoon. Immediate resistance is $909.00 and $915.00 previous high.

With GDP expected very weak, expect GOLD to remain supported. You need to play triggers well here.

Have fun and happy Friday.

Dan

Good morning all

Quiet day initially and the CABLE in the last 15minutes broke out.

Orders were set by quite a few of you (not as many as i would like) above the 66 level and banked part below the 1.4296.

Holding balance with stop below 45...

GOLD - Jami made 100 plus pips this am.. I stupidly didnt place order and missed the break...Chuck a cream pie in my face!!!

Dan

PS EURGBP broken support at 0.9000

Attachments

• cable.gif
    cable.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 177
  • gold.gif
    gold.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 170
Eurgbp

EURGBP - Good to see some of you trading this short. Broke 0.9000 level, 123 then bam!!!

Simple trades are the best!!!

Dan

Attachments

• eurgbp.gif
    eurgbp.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 203
Hi

Looked at a few charts this afternoon but didnt fancy anything enough to place a trade.

Only scalping opportunites for 10 pips here and there but nothing setup that well to be honest.

See u monday...Great results by the way.

D

It's the weekend!!

Hi Dan, Zak & James
A brilliant finish to the week, my first ever profitable Friday and my second +1000 pip week.
Closed the Aussie and Euro shorts for big pips, and only gave back -50 pips today on CAD.

This afternoon I got tempted back into the crudes with a big spike and then a lovely set up on the dow.
Here are the Crude trades (which were bungee moves) and the dow futures trade.

Can't wait for school and the longer term trading lessons next week.
Have a great weekend all
Nicola

Attachments

• wti trades.gif
    wti trades.gif
    24 KB · Views: 179
  • oil trades.gif
    oil trades.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 190
  • dowfut trade.gif
    dowfut trade.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 193