Is this a genuine company or a scam?

Did you read what the police have said about buying carbon credits or are you one of those nutters that thinks that you know better?

Fraudsters with the appearance of professional financiers are selling carbon credits that they claim companies will later buy back at much higher prices. Sometimes they say you are legally obliged to buy them or that a business is legally obliged to buy them back in the future.

The reality is victims are handing over their savings for worthless vouchers from an unregulated market, with individual losses running into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The NFIB needs to inform all investors that:

If you buy carbon credits you WILL NOT make any money no matter what the salesman says
Companies will not offset their carbon allowance by buying carbon credits from individuals – as the salesman claims.
Companies will purchase carbon credits from other companies/brokers and these deals take a lot of time to set up and are heavily regulated – for this reason carbon credits are not investments that an individual can make money on.
There is a heavily regulated market for carbon credits and this is the market that the salesman will be referring to. However individuals do not invest in this regulated market. What the salesman will actually sell you is what is known as a “voluntary” carbon credit where environmentally conscious small businesses and individuals pay to off-set their carbon emissions. This is not a “regulated” carbon credit.
These are bought by the salesman for around 50p and sold to victims for a massively inflated priced dressed up as carbon credits from the “regulated” market.
If the salesman believes that the victim has more money to invest they may even give a return on the initial small investment to build confidence in the victim. They will then request a larger investment promising higher returns. The victim will jump at the chance and then lose all their money.
If you are cold called and offered carbon credits – HANG UP THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY!

If they find a buyer for my credits, great

Mike, so you invested in something and the only way out is 'if a buyer can be found'. Mmmm, really sounds like you've got this investment lark down to a fine art....

Meanwhile the company you did business with has made a guaranteed profit. Talk about shifting ALL THE RISK on to you.

And companies do buy (and retire) VERs to offset their carbon footprint.

Yes they do, but those same companies are usually very large, most of them billion £/$ corporations therefore they deal with proper carbon credit trading firms (usually subsiduaries of the big banks/investment banks, and in large amounts.

They have no interest in dealing with newly registered firms, with no track record, with no audited accounts who deal with armchair investors from Surbiton who invest under £5,000.

Yes they do, but those same companies are usually very large, most of them billion £/$ corporations therefore they deal with proper carbon credit trading firms (usually subsiduaries of the big banks/investment banks, and in large amounts.

They have no interest in dealing with newly registered firms, with no track record, with no audited accounts who deal with armchair investors from Surbiton who invest under £5,000.

Which is pretty much what the police fraud warning says.

Guys, I'm not sure its useful ridiculing people who have made an investment, even if they have been mis-led. BobbyBB, when you refer to the billion dollar corporations dealing in millions of credits this is how the compliance market works. The VER market works for companies buying as little as a few hundred credits to offset their carbon footprint to a few hundred thousand.

Pboyles, so I am to get my carbon credits valued by my bank? Would this be the same bank who took customers deposits and lent them to people with no assets or ability to pay, packaged them up into ABS/MBS, valued them on their books for billions this inflating their profits, only to find out they were practically worthless? And got baled out with taxpayers money? Now that's what I call a scam.

Guys, I'm not sure its useful ridiculing people who have made an investment, even if they have been mis-led. BobbyBB, when you refer to the billion dollar corporations dealing in millions of credits this is how the compliance market works. The VER market works for companies buying as little as a few hundred credits to offset their carbon footprint to a few hundred thousand.

Pboyles, so I am to get my carbon credits valued by my bank? Would this be the same bank who took customers deposits and lent them to people with no assets or ability to pay, packaged them up into ABS/MBS, valued them on their books for billions this inflating their profits, only to find out they were practically worthless? And got baled out with taxpayers money? Now that's what I call a scam.

I can see you are going to find out the hard way. Ignore all the evidence including police warnings and carry on. You'll find out soon enough who was right. Just don't get any of your friends or family involved with this nonsense.

You could all be right regarding the company I was just happy to make someone from a risky market. And the reason I was advised was because I never studied renewable energy investments in my time as a broker as this was not an area at the time used for investments, but appears in now a new emerging market. The company I sold through do not actively sell carbon credits so unsure if would receive a call offering a great deal when all they do is offset. It is good to be skeptical as it keeps companies on there toes.It would be nice if this company came through as a genuine one as the market needs it but if not then it will listed with the rest of the traders in this market and one to avoid. I can only comment on my experience and thought I was assisting with a solution to a problem mentioned on here. If anyone on here does have some negative experiences please share them as there is another forum on here that name and shames companies and can maybe be reported. I have a new question on an area I have been approached about bamboo bio mass? Is this a good invest have been informed it is FSA regulated and works like a bond. I have knowledge on bonds but was unaware bamboo harvests could be used int his manor ?

Yeah London Zoo will buy those off you, you can't go wrong, Pandas are the next big thing.

MIke. I don't know about you but I'd LOVE to be told I'm being naive, a mug, and a complete fool if I kept hold of my money. Yes, it might hurt my ego a bit but I'd laugh when I saw my wallet was still full.

100's of millions of pounds are lost each year by naive and foollish 'investors' (got to use that term very lightly) by new companies, with no track record of success and with no audited accounts who aren't regulated by the FSA. They all sell 'alternative assets' and all say they're going only one way, UP! The clients lap this TALK up.

Now, let's turn back the clock and tell EVERY one of those investors BEFORE they invest that they were naive and foolish and they were going to lose ALL their money.

Some of course wouldn't listen but many would, sadly there are plenty of this board that complain about how they were conned and should never have been so naive and stupid to invest. But the ones that DID listen, did start to question a few things would probably say something like 'that BobbyBB is a bit of a bigmouthed pri**, but you got to love him, he saved me a fortune by telling me the truth about myself, it wasn't pretty, I didn't like it, but I've still got a fat wallet' :)

FSA regulated bamboo biomass as a bond investment with annually paid dividends is not a good investment is that the genuine consensus? Again alternative investments is an area that is our future but is hard to find one that is a profitable.

it is good to be that way bobby and as I said I have been burnt before but in this instance I made some money. People like you keep these companies on there toes and it is commended that you do this. Its hard times and sitting on your money is safe but taking a risk on investments can have its rewards and I have more times than lost made good profits. You got to loss a little to make a little in some cases and I suppose we all need to be vigilant but the world is changing from when I was younger and renewable energy at some point must be profitable as we will no doubt be more reliant on these resources than we are now. So bamboo a no go then?

Again alternative investments is an area that is our future but is hard to find one that is a profitable.

Most of them are VERY profitable Fonze. Very profitable for the people who set them up and the salesmen. And how do they earn these big profits, simple, from their naive and foollish clients who believe any old 'easy money' rubbish they're told. Sad but true.

There are 201 posts here from the Daily Mirror's scambusters team. Anyone who can't spot one of these scams please take an hour or so to read them ALL. Same story all the time, same type of investors, same people behind these firms. It's as predictable as the days of the week.

Investments Archives - Investigations

Read carefully many of the readers posts under some of those articles. Go back in time, tell them all BEFORE they invest they are naive and foolish, how many would thank you now (assuming they didn't invest). The truth hurts, yes it hurts for me as well, but the truth can save people a lot of money and heartache. Many of the people in these scams have lost everything....

Last edited:
have to say am a bit sceptical. a quick scan of the interwebs reveals that "hydro" vers are generally the cheapest to purchase, particularly the older they get the cheaper they become. so let's say a low end hydro ver could be bought in at 50p to a £1 then dressed up and sold on to auntie mable for £5, a nice little earner btw.

the part that i don't get is what muppet company is going to pay a broker the hyped up premium of £6.50 when they are out there for a quid?? unless poor old uncle ernie got scammed in a cold call :whistling

Bamboo bio mass however is a regulated commodity under the FSA and that is why I have looked into this further . Regarding companies becoming carbon neutral it is more of a marketing tool these days but more and more companies are doing this and again maybe the companies are being ripped offer as well but if they are the money is still derived from a renewable energy project and the funds are still helping towards climate control. Back to bio mass as anyone on here had dealings with this is my knowledge in renewable energy is limited but am aware is an area we have to understand is our future and therefore should be profitable one day.

anyways i thought this thread was a discussion about Eden Brown Group, then sidetracked slightly on some goose chase re selling vers? what the fck we now talking about bamboo for??

do eden brown sell bamboo??

if not start a new thread :|

Well I looked at the web developer net builder and they built the trading software for Barclays bank so this seemed genuine. Also when I contacted the company they do not sell carbon credits at all they only sell on carbon credits held by clients which made me feel that they had my best interests at heart. And they are the only company that are claiming to be a platform and also looking to become a registry it seems a lot of effort for someone who was not genuine and as I have made money the risk was worth it. I have paid up front fees to other trading platforms so did not think this was an odd request. You definitely need your wits about you in the carbon market but this company have good credentials in what they are doing and who they work with.

"They built the trading software for barclays bank"

Sorry - but what kind of a statement is that. I mean...are you serious? Do you have any idea what trading software barclays use. And any bank for that matter....i mean do you really think it's that simple...One nice little program for all barclays multi billion...volume and all asset classes and all time frames and all hedging ....one nice little metatrader type platform. I mean this is so clearly BS. Having worked for two big american I Banks i can categorically tell you that LOTS of software is used....fidessa, bloomberg, Charlesriver, livex, loads of dark pools....you have no idea what you're on about... loads.....i'm sorry fonze but stop with your sweeping statements that try to add credibility to frankly and shady operation. If it's so great....you go ahead and do it....and then you tell us all how it went.

I'm always surprised that people give people like you any credibility whatsoever....I mean...it's such a joke

MacLondon, you missed the previous, I have gone ahead and I did make a profit but yet everyone was still going on about it? Was only giving my opinion as finally after trying multiple companies managed to sell out, that was all. I then asked for opinions on bamboo bio mass, I can on here for advice nothing more. And also mentioned if anyone has already had bad dealings with this company then tell the story and we can look to add them to the name and shame forum but as yet no one has come forward with a negative story. We could all talk all day about the carbon market as it is not the most transparent market but is designed for companies to become carbon neutral and to help with renewable energy so it has some uses just unfortunately many companies are using it for the wrong purposes . I'm sure many years ago if someone called offering to invest in solar energy or wind turbines it would of be laughed at, but now these renewable energy sources could be are future and is now considered a commodity. The carbon market is yet to prove its self for investors and as said I was just one of the lucky ones.