TOTW Is it better to trade with or against the trend?

Meanwhile do a bit of home work

check out and read the comments and calls for those days

I'm guessing he's already done this which lead him to his conclusion.

There used to be a popular site called signaltrader (or something like that) about 10 years ago.
He would give levels for potential trades and then update the next day with his supposed profits. Some days he'd update that no trades were taken, and be met with a barage of abuse from people who had lost money saying, ''hold on!! You said short below 10,000!! I went short at 9,999 and am now losing bad!!''

He replied, ''No. I didn't take the short as the price didn't hold below the level properly and it didn't look right''

Point is that there's a big difference between commentary on potential trades at various levels and live calls where you state that you are now in a trade (as the trade has just been taken)

There is another thread here that you could watch to learn what a real live trade call looks like. I forget the name (something like ''trading the FTSE'')

Reactions: BSD
"The $10,000 to $100,000 challenge

In March 2013 Charlie started a challenge to show that it is possible to take a $10K account and grow it to $100K in two years. Now most challenges of this type are shown after the event and not on a live trading account. Charlie takes some of the trades whilst in the Live trading room or video’s them on a Friday.

On this page we will be posting updates of his progress.

How is he doing it?

Charlie uses a number of strategies to trade the account which are mostly included in the recently produced MBT Swing trading CDs and of course our Day Trading CDs.

So how is he doing?

You can watch a recent update webinar by clicking here which will open as a Windows Media Video file."

http://ezeetrader.com/articles-php/10k-to-100k/

Saw this guy on the recent BBC docu Millions by the Minute, up some 450% so far.

If F can prove his claimed prowess on a social media trading account I will personally give him a good night kiss each and every single day of 2015.

Thats a promise.

:)

good-night-and-feel-my-kiss.png

"The $10,000 to $100,000 challenge

In March 2013 Charlie started a challenge to show that it is possible to take a $10K account and grow it to $100K in two years. Now most challenges of this type are shown after the event and not on a live trading account. Charlie takes some of the trades whilst in the Live trading room or video’s them on a Friday.

On this page we will be posting updates of his progress.

How is he doing it?

Charlie uses a number of strategies to trade the account which are mostly included in the recently produced MBT Swing trading CDs and of course our Day Trading CDs.

So how is he doing?

You can watch a recent update webinar by clicking here which will open as a Windows Media Video file."

http://ezeetrader.com/articles-php/10k-to-100k/

Saw this guy on the recent BBC docu Millions by the Minute, up some 450% so far.

If F can prove his claimed prowess on a social media trading account I will personally give him a good night kiss each and every single day of 2015.

Thats a promise.

:)

good-night-and-feel-my-kiss.png

GOTT IN HIMMEL!!!:eek:

GOTT IN HIMMEL!!!:eek:

Yes its that bit thats put me off

10k to 100k challange on live account is a piece of pi** over 2 years - and is hardly any real challange.

I see if I can get my imaginary student to take it on

Trouble is - He will be like me - put off by the kisses

Will go though whats needed and work out some figures etc - but dont want to be on any challenge for 2 years - ideally any challange I look at is under a 4 or 6 weeks

Need to check that Charlie guy out - as thought he was another seller of courses and dvd's etc etc

Must remind everyone - I sell nothing connected with FX trading - at all

Why would I need to ???

Regards

F

F I'm always merry :)

Like I said: you go ahead and open a single account at one of those social trading sites and if you generate returns even close to what you keep claiming you achieve I will offer you a full and unabashed public apology.

That is a constructive suggestion. I wonder which one would be the best social site to use? One of my clients paid me to interface signals to Collective2.com through their web/xml http GET interface, and his backend is Interactive Brokers. (He insisted on using Collective2, and I'm hoping we don't have Live trading problems down the line, but it's his money :) In a week or so we'll know how well it works. These wouldn't be my micro scalping signals at all, that's impossible for a bunch of reasons, but it's a "swing trading" style of signal generation and normal "day trading" off bars should be easily signaled.

HyperScalper

Reactions: BSD
Is it better to trade with or against the trend?

With. :idea:
Regardless if you're a day trader or a longer term investor.

Personally, I trade with the trend most of the time. However, according to me, everything depends on many other factors (too long to list them here). But my point is that we can't just say that it's better to trade with or against the trend because it depends when you are able to identify it!

There is no such thing as trend.

B.

While y'all are "starin' at your belly buttons" here is what
we're doing to identify and track micro trend continuously
and in real time.

It's based on "Book Analysis" or "Depth of Market" or
"Order Flow Analysis" and is a leading indicator. It is not
based upon some (stupid) Moving Average of Price....

In other words, it is a "leading indicator" which is predictive,
as opposed to "looking in the rearview mirror" by looking
at what price has already done.

( This is GBP / JPY prices shown divided by 100, e.g. 176 shown as 1.76 )

HyperScalper

VectorTrendLift.PNG

Last edited:
Interesting chart work hyperscalper. But there's really no answer to the question about indicators.

Order flow does indicate likely actions of market participants, but that's also its problem, these are only likely actions, they are not guaranteed to take place. And even if they do, where are participants' exit levels/stops? So its a leading indicator of things that may or may not happen.

The advantage of lagging indicators is that they are based on things that have definitely happened. That doesn't mean the same things will happen again tomorrow, but at least the data are absolutely fixed in place.

Beyond that, its personal choice which method you put more faith into.

Hyperscalper,

trend is itself a lagging indicator: it only tells you what has happened and is caused by the most basic market fundamental. Knowing a "trend" is a "trend" is only valuable is you also know (or at least have a good idea) where it will end.

Trend is nothing more than price travelling from an area of demand to an area of supply (or vise versa).

That indi you have posted shows nothing that the chart above it does not, and the chart itself is a lot simpler to read and trade.

35ipsfo.png

draw a line, trade away from it.

B.

edit: expanded an idea

Last edited:
Yes, ******** it is... without precisely understanding what traders need to do. (Edit: I didn't know it would blank out the word... Let's use your spelling of Bollix)

What they MUST do is Buy lower than they Sell, whether Long or Short; so they want their post-Entry price movement to make them profitable. Problem is they are predicting a future outcome, largely based upon what they observe in the past, or some patterns thereof.

Definition: The Trend is an expectation based upon where price has moved in the past, and every trader on the planet with a price feed sees that. (I work in Forex). Traders Hope that this established past price movement will continue, invoking the concept of Momentum so prices are like bowling balls.

I'm an active Micro Scalper but, due to the fractal nature of markets, the same price patterns exist at the Micro level as exist on the Macro level and the same problem of "predicting the future outcome" continues to apply.

My advice is to have Indicators which reliably tell you what will happen in the Future. Now that's a tall order !! But what I do know is that one good approach is to Enter on Pullbacks which, for me is the idea that we do not take the Price which the Market is offering us, but take the higher probability retracement friendly prices which occur on "deflection" of the market.

Here's my Mantra: "The price which is currently being offered by the Market is a bad price for BOTH Buyers and Sellers." So "catch price on a deflection" countertrend pullback to enter based upon what you believe the True future price movement will be !!

Do I need a Crystal Ball? Ha ha, but seriously trading is predicting the future, and enduring "price wiggle" which is all engineered by Market Makers to thoroughly confuse traders.

HyperScalper

I like your narrative, most likely because it touches a lot of the methods which I use to trade. To trade, Trade the deflection, trade the retracement.

Hyperscalper,

trend is itself a lagging indicator: it only tells you what has happened and is caused by the most basic market fundamental. Knowing a "trend" is a "trend" is only valuable is you also know (or at least have a good idea) where it will end.

Trend is nothing more than price travelling from an area of demand to an area of supply (or vise versa).

That indi you have posted shows nothing that the chart above it does not, and the chart itself is a lot simpler to read and trade.

35ipsfo.png

draw a line, trade away from it.

B.

edit: expanded an idea

You guys all sound like you know what you're talking about, but everyone
muddies the issues. The issue is Leading versus Lagging indication of
future price movement. My approach is leading because it is based upon
positioning of Liquidity Providers (aka Market Maker) Quote Flow patterns
which are placed before price moves.

LP's or MM's place quotes first, and then move price. That is the sequence,
and patterns of such quoting are modified well in advance of the price
movements. That's a "leading indicator" and that's what most call "a Holy
Grail"... Would you recognize a Holy Grail class indicator when you saw
one? :) LOL just kidding, guys.

The Vector representation is right against the Price Line. The Gray Line
above is an "oscillator" which is not on the price scale, but on the null
based oscillator scale on the left. The Gray Line represents a Leading
Indicator of price movement, and is an "integration" of the Vectors.

Throughout the uptrend, the Gray "integration" of the vectors shows that
an uptrend is predicted to continue. (Leading indicator, right?)

HyperScalper

Last edited:
Depends what is the trend for you, and this is related to your TF. For instance

EURUSD monthly. Clear downtrend.

185346d1423811397t-better-trade-against-trend-eu_w.png

EURUSD 1hr. Clear uptrend.

185348d1423811476t-better-trade-against-trend-eu_1hr.png

What would ypou consider to be trading "witjh the trend" or "against" the trend depends which Timneframe you are trading from.

Attachments

• EU_W.png
    EU_W.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 157
  • EU_1hr.png
    EU_1hr.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Yes, trading "witjh the trend" or "against" the trend depends upon which timeframe you are trading from.

Also, "The trend" depends upon the "interval" you are using (e.g., Renko), whether you are trading the primary trend, the secondary trend, the tertiary trend, the counter trend...in the interval you've chosen

In short, there are nuances in trite phrases, "The trend", "The trend is your friend", "The trend" is your frend until the bend in the end, trade with "the trend" and it will be your friend. Trend is an enemy you don't want to have....

Be careful, my friends. There are a lot of hucksters out there, who rely upon our ignorance of all nuances to growth their wealth from the loss of our wealth.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to learn. So, one and all, thanks for the education.

Trading is more of an art rather than science. If you determine the trend direction, it is always better to trade in the direction of the trend rather than against it. However, in a long or upwards trends, trade the pull back while in downtrends trade the rallies down. This style is a way to minimize risk and possibly maximize rewards. A third way to trade is to stand aside if the market shows sideways movement so that you will not get whipsawed.

Great analysis. Cheers.

Makes you laff doesn't it :LOL:
They're all on here spouting the usual bollux....trade with the trend !!

Ask them to define trend....that might be a good starting point...should at least start to make them think !

You can only define a trend in hindsight. I've been wrong many times but I've been right, as well. Probabilities? What probabilities? What's probable in your mind may be highly unlikely in someone else's so the only thing to do is to stop asking for opinions and get on with it.