Is anyone here a full time consistent spreadbetter?

I think that you will find that there are other threads already posted which cover most of what is being discussed here. Regardless I’ll throw in my two pence worth….

As people have pointed out, when you open a spreadbet you are betting against the ‘house’ or the firm – they are your counterparty. Whether the company chooses to lay the position off is down to them and there is no contractual obligation on their part to lay off the bet. My own research has determined that different companies have different approaches. If a company has very narrow spreads (or indeed spreads that reflect the underlying market) then there is obviously very little financial reward available to them if they completely hedge their risk – all they would be doing is locking in a breakeven and therefore they’d be offering a tax efficient + free dealing service. This means that, in order to make any money, they must take on counterparty risk and take opposing positions to clients.
Other companies with larger than market spreads have a little more choice in the matter. The law of mathematics gives them a larger edge over their clients in that they extract a little more ‘value’ from the client each time they open and close a position. This presents the company with a better set of choices. They can hedge the position and lock in the profit made from the spread or they can run the position against the client knowing that the market can move in the clients favour a small distance before the client even reaches breakeven.

I have gained direct knowledge from several senior dealing staff / traders at several spreadbetting companies to suggest that very little is actually hedged in the first instant.
As people have already mentioned, the companies know that most people are unsuccessful at financial market speculation and therefore, with all things considered, there is no real need to be in a hurry to hedge their exposure so long as most customers trading activity isn’t too aggressive.

This situation changes however if a customer develops some kind of edge. I’ve been openly told by a lead trader at a well know spreadbetting house that they can not afford to let a customer who is very successful go on unchecked if he is clearly being successful in the short term timeframe. He acknowledged that a customer doing that is simply bleeding them of cash. He suggested that people who wanted to trade in that manner should trade directly to the market.

A few years back I actually developed a very nice little method of trading RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) intraday. It simply involved using Level 2 data to spot potential gaps in the order book whilst watching the underlying S&P Futures + FTSE Futures to get an edge on market direction. At the time a couple of the spreadbetting companies were offering RBS at market spreads (which was normally 1p / 2p). Obviously from a trading point of view it would be impossible to trade directly to market using this method due to the round trip dealing costs. Not so however by spreadbetting as there were in effect no dealing costs. This is probably why the method worked. In effect RBS would lag S&P Futures (during the overlap with US hours normally between 2.30pm and 4pm UK time). This meant that by using L2 you could time your entry almost to the second. Quite often you could open a trade and be at breakeven in 5 or 6 seconds. Over a period of months I built up to lot sizes of £25 per point. It was very successful and over time I built up a good size balance in my account. Then all of a sudden things changed. One spreadbetting firm suspended my account and the other introduced significant delays in dealing with my orders which lead to a constant flow of re-quotes which meant I could never use my edge on L2 / S&P Futures. Both companies then introduced an increase on the spread of RBS. This meant that the stock was now un-tradable in outlined fashion. The point is that, in this case, the companies in question could clearly see that a number of traders had devised a system which appeared to defeat the laws of averages or apparent ‘truths’ relating to short term trading. The result was a reaction by the company to effectively eradicate that type of trading by moving the goal posts because it wasn’t financially viable to continue as things were.

Other people that I know have had similar reactions from different companies when other types of systems appeared to work. I know of several people who have experienced considerable dealing difficulties after doing quite well on the digital options / binaries.
The companies which offer these products know that the speed of execution is critical on these high delta products. A number of people have commented that they have suddenly and unexpectedly found that their trades are not being processed instantly and instead find that they are being routed for manual execution. Manual execution normally leads to a dealer comparing the price of the order with the price of the currently quoted market rather than the price which the market was at when the order was submitted. They then appear to reject orders which have since moved back into the companies favour whilst accepting orders where the movement in price is now further favouring the customer. Obviously the result is that the customer never gets any value brought about by the delays in execution and the company benefits 100%.

These are all situations and risks which occur when dealing with spreadbetting companies.

Again, I think what people have already written covers most situations. If you only bet small then they’ll probably not worry very much. The problems come as you build up your bet size. Lots of people talk about the 95% of traders who fail at this. What that statistic doesn’t tell you is that the successful 5% bet in much bigger size. Therefore in ‘money terms’ the net fiscal statistic isn’t stacked in such a one sided manner. In my own opinion, and indeed my experience, if you start making too much money by trading in a certain fashion (normally short time frame) then it won’t be long before you get some treatment.

I personally feel that spreadbetting companies do have some uses especially when people are new to the game and need to experiment with trial and error. If people are serious about making money from day-trading then they need to migrate to direct access to stand any chance. You need to know that any system which you devise to earn a living isn’t going to just disappear over night because a spreadbetting company finds you a drain on its profitability. That is simply less likely to happen with direct access because no one can suddenly interfere with your order flow or delay you trades while they see which way the market is going to move.
Of course a different situation may exist for position or swing traders. Spreadbetting might be considerable more suitable for people like that as they can’t be defeated by simply not receiving instant executions. I did read however that a well known City Bear was forced out of a position spreadbet after the spreadbetting company decided that it wanted to withdraw its market in a certain instrument.

Hope this all helps,
Steve.

Steve, Excellent post.

The IG Index prospectus (from when they relisted) gives lots of info about their business model if anyone is interested. Regarding hedging (from memory) they have a model that when all correlated longs or shorts go over a certain amount, then they start hedging i.e. they will only take on a certain amount of macro market risk.

I always think it's interesting to note that J.Livermore started out in a bucket shop (spreadbetting) and got banned repeatedly. When he tried his method on the 'real' market it didn't work because the order actually had to get filled for real (and the bucket shop had an automatic stop loss).

As someone who aspires to retiring by the time I'm 35 it's good to know that I can in theory make a living from this (if I ever learn to keep away from trying to trade oil that is :!: ).

I'm working on developing a couple of trading approaches that I hope will improve my prospects however the question I'd like to know is it is possible to make money from dividends using SB? From my experience to date it I don't think it is but if anyone else knows different..... ;)

PatHarvey said:
As someone who aspires to retiring by the time I'm 35 it's good to know that I can in theory make a living from this (if I ever learn to keep away from trying to trade oil that is :!: ).

I'm working on developing a couple of trading approaches that I hope will improve my prospects however the question I'd like to know is it is possible to make money from dividends using SB? From my experience to date it I don't think it is but if anyone else knows different..... ;)

Apologies if I'm missing your point here......

If you take a futures bet, then interest is charged on the bet - essentially you pay a higher price for the bet than the cash markets - generally about 5% per year. This premium diminishes until it hits zero at the point of expiry on the bet. If dividend payments are due, these are factored into the future price ie you pay less thanthe 5% PA) - so you get the benefit of the dividend.

If I've missed your point, ignore me :rolleyes:

UTB

Tuffty….Thanks for you kind words.

Yes, you’re dead right about Livermore, when he first made his move to direct exchange trading it was a disaster. In the ‘Bucket Shops’ he had become used to trading against and advertised price – an early form of ‘one click dealing’ or WYSIWYG. The exchange was very different. First and foremost Livermore was ‘tape reader’. He would continually monitor how the markets absorbed price and volume. When he felt conditions were right he would make his move. The problem was however that, during busy times (which is when most speculators want to deal) the tape would run behind. (I’ve read a couple of other journals from around Livermore’s time as I’m more or less obsessed by stock markets during that time. I remember reading something along the lines of “The market was so busy on Tuesday 27th that the ticker was still printing almost 90 minutes after the market closed”.) The problem that Livermore had was that he had to give his dealing instructions in real time without being able to review the tapes. Obviously this wasn’t a problem that he faced in the Bucket Shops as the shop was pretty safe from people having an alternative means of finding out the real prices and hence they just let people trade against the prices coming through on the tape even if the tape was running behind. Ultimately Livermore adjusted his techniques to handle the situation. His basic theories which he carried in his head were still just as valid – all he had to do was adjust how he executed his deals and hence ensure that he kept his edge.

Pat / Blades….

If the Future, which is based on a stock or cash index, expires on a date which is after the dividend date then the dividend is already discounted in the futures price. My feeling is that the ‘cash’ products offered by the spreadbet companies are more expensive to trade that the futures if you are considering holding the position for any length of time. It seems to me that the companies make a good deal on money from these ‘rolling’ products because the always charge a rate of interest above base and pay a rate of interest well below base. I noticed on my different accounts that they charged me interest regardless of the fact that I had enough cash on balance to cover my positions. Essentially they were charging me to borrow my own money.

In respect of playing some kind of dividend system. I did notice that on FTSE there was a tendency for FTSE to ‘close its gap’ quite quickly on days where dividends were discounted from the cash index. I’m not sure what the net yield is on the FTSE is per year buy if it was around 5% then we’d be talking about 275 odd points. Even if you only managed to grab half of these you’d still be looking at a nice profit. I did write something of my thoughts on this issue a year or so back but I don’t have a clue which thread it was on! Doh. It’s worth looking into in my opinion simply because it is easy to identify the days when the potential trades are there.

Steve.

Blades/Steve,

Sorry I should have specified I was looking at rolling bets not a fixed expiry position. I prefer these rightly or wrongly as they match my current trading profile.

Thanks for the pointer Steve. I'll look into this if I can find the thread I'll let you know ;)

Pat

As this thread is about full time consistent spread betters and having read through this thread I find there are successful swing and position traders, but what I'd like to know is if there are any day traders having any success with spread trading ?

TraderAli,
Day trading with spreads is tough because the spread is usually wider than using direct access. That said, when I have the time and inclination I trade cable and some of the other forex crosses intraday. Yes I make money from it but day trading is too time consuming for me normally. I have lots better things to do...like watch the grass grow here in sunny Australia ;-)

AT

aussietrader said:
TraderAli,
Day trading with spreads is tough because the spread is usually wider than using direct access. That said, when I have the time and inclination I trade cable and some of the other forex crosses intraday. Yes I make money from it but day trading is too time consuming for me normally. I have lots better things to do...like watch the grass grow here in sunny Australia ;-)

AT

Hi, Thats exactly what I meant...there are many new traders who think they can spread trade the dow successfully ignoring the fact that just to breakeven one needs to have a position 8+ points to cover 4points spread on each side.

I was interested to hear if there were any traders in actual who only use spreadbetting as a vehical to day trade the markets.

You enjoy your sun, we in the UK are enjoying our snow ! :(

The 8 point spread is alright for the end of day trader, since the average move is about 60 points. Obviously no good to the "scalpers".
I used to spend much too much time on using shorter and shorter time-frames, thinking that would help my trading. Watching the wiggly line for hours on end did not for me prove more productive as I presumed but less so. I am getting to have another life again, feeling much better and even trading better!! Just my experience though. Something one has to decide for oneself. Hopefully one should not be driven by a desperate need to make loads of dosh in a hurry - a sure way to problems.

spread better who wont learn

hi all

ive been spread bettingfor just over 6 years now.
i seem to have a real good run for upto a few months and then i get stuck in the thought of is the market a short or long.i then get stuck into re trading the opposite direction to the market.
anyone else had this? i find i can call the market pretty well as long as im going long when the markets going long and vice versa.

ive just started using updatas point anf figure and found it amazing.anyone else using this?

c

Hi Pat,

Out of interest which markets do you trade ? I am thinking of spread trading the FTSE using EOD. A few traders on this thread mentioned they were swing trading the DOW. I find it particularly difficult spread trading this index as one would have to use large stops, it would be a lot riskier ?

Any opinions ?

TraderAli said:
Hi Pat,

Out of interest which markets do you trade ? I am thinking of spread trading the FTSE using EOD. A few traders on this thread mentioned they were swing trading the DOW. I find it particularly difficult spread trading this index as one would have to use large stops, it would be a lot riskier ?

Any opinions ?

Hi Ali,
I spread trade the S&P 500. It is more stable than the Dow. I think the FTSE is so influenced by the US market that it would be like trading a dog on a lead. I used to do intra-day but have recently gone back to EOD. It leaves the rest of the day free for other things. Another great advantage of the US market is the time factor. I analyse it about midday UK time. None of that getting up early lark.
As for stops. Well I am a bit of a heretic because I only use stops if I am unable to get near the computer for a long time eg days. I put the trade on S&P March future and take the profit at 8.45pm UK time or let it bounce overnight if I have got it wrong. Seems to work well.
Good luck
Pat

I day trade

:confused: Yes i day trade the Dow with CMC and yes my account is building if i stick to my stop loss, why do i keep increasing my stop!!
Its not good for the ticker or the eyes sitting in front of the screen, there has to be a better way to trade.
I have been successful in bouncing off support and resistance in the side ways market, but i might be in trouble now as i went short on the DOW yesterday thinking i had found the top again, and it shot through my stop loss, i was hoping for a double top but its gone through again! Any advice?
My most successful trade is long after the start of the formation of a rising double bottom after a significant short move. Approx 80% accurate. If only i looked for one of these a day and got 30 points and walked away i would be alot better off ( and if 1 didnt come along - dont trade!)
I would prefer to swing trade from 1 week to a month, but i dont have the knowledge, the market obviously has a mind of its own and I wish I could tap into that, fair play top you guys who can, i just see it as erratic so I will stick to day trading, I'm only young, my heart shouldnt give in yet, any body any advice on how to swing trade?

In answer to all your questions: I trade consistently using only spread betting. I have never experienced a problem with the spreads. What kind of spreads are people trying to overcome - give me an idea of the market and the spread itself.

Also, I wouldn't advise a short on the Dow right now.

trader_dante said:
One of the hardest, but in my opinion, most important things to do when you have had a huge winning streak is to take an extended break from trading.

Maybe a week or two just to clear your head. When you begin again you should decrease your trading size by half and begin again, increasing it to its original size as you win.

No mate. You keep pushing that winning feeling. You take a break when you lose. Never EVER take a break from a winning run......

You're quite right CityTrader. I meant after a winning streak take a break - as in the moment you begin to lose. I just didn't make myself clear...

Last edited:
hi, I am new to SB even to stock and would like some advices how to start?what to read?
I would be very thankful for any help!

good luck!!!

Read everything you can get hold of and watch the markets in every moment you can.

With regards to reading I would begin with " The Beginner's Guide to Financial Spread Betting" - you can get it free when you register with Tradindex. It's a very simple introduction to spread betting but offers a decent overview.

I would then move on to "Getting Started in Futures" by Todd Lofton which will give you a good working knowledge of futures trading.

Some of the classics that you will hear people recommend time and time again are: "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefevre and "Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders" by Jack D. Schwager and the follow up "The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders". These should be essential reading.

As far as developing a strategy, "Trend Following" by Michael W. Covel makes for very interesting reading.

sebaurbanski said:
hi, I am new to SB even to stock and would like some advices how to start?what to read?
I would be very thankful for any help!

good luck!!!

taba said:
hi all

ive just started using updatas point anf figure and found it amazing.anyone else using this?

c

Hi Taba,

I've spent a long time researching P&F as I really like the theory and think that it 'should' work (ie the idea of taking time out of the equation and just concentrating on price moves). The only problem is that when I've trialled it, I've not got anywhere - not lost money, just not made any. Anything I gain in a decent trending market, I'm just giving back in whipsaws. I'd be interested to know what you're using it on, and what time horizons, etc.

Cheers.