Sticky Introduce Yourself

no you didn't scam me or ask for money. yes you did answer my questions- thank you.

however, i will be very blunt with you, and have said this to you in the chat room, you do not come across great on here. People will read your posts, be confused, see the indicators, the 'hard-sell' slightly aggressive manner of writing, and jump to conclusions. And people are very sensitive indeed to signs of spammers, fraudsters and extortionists- many of which may very well use titles such as 'NEVER LOSE AGAIN!!' etc.

Hence i feel you have been, perhaps unfairly, branded a seller, spammer, or fake.

Had you instead simply started a quiet thread journaling some of your trades and putting forward the basic rules in a simple manner without cliche or selling talk- you would most likely have gotten a more positive reaction- even if your system had been a very bad failing one.

Regarding typing in caps. I know you only mean to emphasise things, but in forum etiquette caps means shouting. In the absence of being able to hear you and your intentions, it seems to be that you are shouting at everyone.

I'm sorry if the above upsets/offends you- but i think it goes some way to explaining why you get the 'wrong' kind of reactions to your posts.

I for one want to try out some of your strategies just for interest purposes. I think i'll try the horizontal line one as this is the one i find the easiest to understand right now.

When i try it out i'll post the results on here and will be the first to congratulate and sing your praises if i prove profitable.

One other problem that can occur on here i have noticed too is- a certain sense of humour takes hold. I think some posts are meant to be light-hearted and not offensive... and i know us Brits in particular have a kind of cynical, dry sense of humour which doesn't go down well with a lot of people from other countries.

Anyway, i think i've written more than enough for here.

Wishing you all the best.

introduction

Greetings,
Though the forum is based in UK and I'm in the US (California), I'm happy finding this informative site,
and all the encouraging, supportive, friendly and helpful participants. At first the site looked too big
for me, but I've returned and am enjoying. Mostly I've just browsed through the 55000 thread so far.

My background is having an IRA (tax deferred account) for several decades, transferring to
self directed accounts a year ago, doing okay, then getting into trading at the 1st of November.
My first four trades of 2 to 5 days were a very fortunate 36% average. Then my plan fell apart.
At one point I was up $29k now down 10, which I'm fortunate was not a lot worse. So I vowed
to not trade anymore until lots of practice and having the fundamentals down, but having studied
the candles couldn't resist yesterday with smaller amounts, my first go at two 5 minute day trades.

That was a good lesson, that my stocks were all wrong, and the platform (Ameritrade) was jumbled
and slow. Now I've got good stocks to play, but need a good platform. The issue is that I'm using Linux,
so windows programs don't work. Best would be online programs to use (preferably free or low cost).
I'm especially interested to find tick charts, how to enter trades as quickly as possible, and getting more
proficient with stops. A simulation program to use on weekends would be interesting as well.

That's my intro and I might have read some of your messages already. All the best. :D

Greetings,
Though the forum is based in UK and I'm in the US (California), I'm happy finding this informative site,
and all the encouraging, supportive, friendly and helpful participants. At first the site looked too big
for me, but I've returned and am enjoying. Mostly I've just browsed through the 55000 thread so far.

My background is having an IRA (tax deferred account) for several decades, transferring to
self directed accounts a year ago, doing okay, then getting into trading at the 1st of November.
My first four trades of 2 to 5 days were a very fortunate 36% average. Then my plan fell apart.
At one point I was up $29k now down 10, which I'm fortunate was not a lot worse. So I vowed
to not trade anymore until lots of practice and having the fundamentals down, but having studied
the candles couldn't resist yesterday with smaller amounts, my first go at two 5 minute day trades.

That was a good lesson, that my stocks were all wrong, and the platform (Ameritrade) was jumbled
and slow. Now I've got good stocks to play, but need a good platform. The issue is that I'm using Linux,
so windows programs don't work. Best would be online programs to use (preferably free or low cost).
I'm especially interested to find tick charts, how to enter trades as quickly as possible, and getting more
proficient with stops. A simulation program to use on weekends would be interesting as well.

That's my intro and I might have read some of your messages already. All the best. :D

Hiya :cheesy:

Nice to see you. Congratulations for staying in the game this long, despite the ups and downs you are still here :)

There is a lot to read on these forums. Can waste a lot of time here and get sucked in and obsessed with this place very easily (well, i did anyway).

no you didn't scam me or ask for money. yes you did answer my questions- thank you.

however, i will be very blunt with you, and have said this to you in the chat room, you do not come across great on here. People will read your posts, be confused, see the indicators, the 'hard-sell' slightly aggressive manner of writing, and jump to conclusions. And people are very sensitive indeed to signs of spammers, fraudsters and extortionists- many of which may very well use titles such as 'NEVER LOSE AGAIN!!' etc.

Hence i feel you have been, perhaps unfairly, branded a seller, spammer, or fake.

Had you instead simply started a quiet thread journaling some of your trades and putting forward the basic rules in a simple manner without cliche or selling talk- you would most likely have gotten a more positive reaction- even if your system had been a very bad failing one.

Regarding typing in caps. I know you only mean to emphasise things, but in forum etiquette caps means shouting. In the absence of being able to hear you and your intentions, it seems to be that you are shouting at everyone.

I'm sorry if the above upsets/offends you- but i think it goes some way to explaining why you get the 'wrong' kind of reactions to your posts.

I for one want to try out some of your strategies just for interest purposes. I think i'll try the horizontal line one as this is the one i find the easiest to understand right now.

When i try it out i'll post the results on here and will be the first to congratulate and sing your praises if i prove profitable.

One other problem that can occur on here i have noticed too is- a certain sense of humour takes hold. I think some posts are meant to be light-hearted and not offensive... and i know us Brits in particular have a kind of cynical, dry sense of humour which doesn't go down well with a lot of people from other countries.

Anyway, i think i've written more than enough for here.

Wishing you all the best.

I know you mean well.

A "quiet" thread? That's funny. If people have a problem with the title of my thread(s) or any other thread, they could just ignore them instead of starting a fight. If someone doesn't like a poster's writing style they could just ignore them instead of starting a fight. The problems on forums are a microcosm of the problems in the world: one person/group trying to tell another person/group what do to, how to do it, etc...

Some people actually like my BIG CHARTS, and BIG FONTS. They find them easy to read.

Some people actually have understood what I have posted and have made huge profits.

No, Tradergirl, you don't offend me. You state your views politely. But, they are YOUR VIEWS. OPINION and FACT are NOT the same.

If we stay focused on the MESSAGE and NOT the MESSENGER, a lot more learning could be accomplished. It's only when someone attacks me that I bare my claws.

City Traderveryone,

Hi everyone,

I am a novice day trader but have learned sufficiently to have the necessary knowledge about stock market(although some may argue that trading is a never ending learning curve) for starting day trading.
Through that I am aiming to acquire a clear strategy and discipline for becoming an (optimistically) top trader within 5years.

If anyone has some views/answer on my queries below I would be very grateful.

Do you think that due to assymetric information an independant day trader (IDT) would never beat the average monthly/yearly return of city trader(CT)?

Last edited:
Hi, im really not a cottonpicker but my dad was. i am new to forex, still paper trading. hoping to some day make a few $'s trading. i respond to all messages.

Just browsing the web and stumbled in here to see if I can find and give information and some decent conversation about trading without the obscenities and ranting on the Yahoo board.
I've been doing some novice trading on my Wells Trade account and find them as useless as any one bank can be. Their platform must be from the 50's as it gives me volumn, ask and bid. However, they do give me 100 free trades on my PMA account.
I live on the central coast of California or should I say Caleefornia in a small town called Santa Margarita. Am looking for some one in the area to exchange ideas if I have any of worth. I just retired and Wells Fargo does'nt seem to care about my retirement money that I invested with them so looks like it's time to learn how to protect myself and do it myself. Married with 2 children and 5 grand children. Thats about it and now I will post some questions on the q board.

fxcm

Hi I am JImmy and I am new in this business. I am just about signing up with FXCM based in London. Do you know the reputation of the firm?

Hey - thanks for the tip. I'm a brand-newbie - just introduced to forex a week ago - and never traded before. No worry - I'm going to be very careful - paper trading for the moment. I have a plan. . .

I am going to apply the 200 EMA to some testing - sounds like a good plan. Is it still winning for you?

Thanks for a great post!

OH, PS, I use the IBFX.com site - anyone know about it? Good rep? I know I like the way it works - easy to learn but powerful!

i use ig index and the problem is that they do not have 4 hour charts only 1 hour and daily.
please advise.

I found this strategy on the net and I was wondering if any one has seen it before better yet tried it before.
I have tried it for a few times and I have not lost yet "touch wood"

But I would like some expert traders opinions on this strategy.

Here it is:

Are you a relatively new trader looking for a solid forex strategy?

A challenge facing many new traders when developing their forex strategy is the ability to identify the overall trend for intra-day trading.

The 200 EMA (Exponential Moving Average) can solve the problem.

The 200 EMA is one of the most popular indicators of all time with Forex traders the world over, and for that reason alone is worth noting due to the psychological effect on the market place price can have when hovering around the 200 EMA.

Using The 200EMA Strategy

To use this very powerful Forex strategy, create charts on 3 time frames:

* 4 hour
* 1 hour
* 15 minute

Now plot a 200 EMA indicator on each chart and, as a suggestion, color it red, for easy visual impact.

Preferably tile the 3 windows containing your 3 charts into a vertical fashion so you can see the 3 time frames next to each other. It will squeeze up the information on the charts somewhat but for the purpose of this strategy that doesn't matter.

Now scroll through the various currency pairs you like to trade.

If you prefer to trade only pairs with a smaller pip spread, they amount to about 9.

They are:

* EUR/USD
* GBP/USD
* USD/CHF
* USD/JPY
* EUR/JPY
* USD/CAD
* AUD/USD
* NZD/USD
* EUR/CHF

What you are looking for is any currency pair that bucks the 200 EMA on the 15 minute chart.

So for example, look at the EUR/USD pair and note the position of price relative to the 200 EMA on the 3 time frames.

If price is well above the 200 EMA on the 4 hour chart, well above the 200 EMA on the 1 hour chart, but BELOW the 200 EMA on the 15 minute chart, price is bucking the trend.

The overall trend is up, price has temporarily gone against the trend and is currently in a retracement.

Using the fundamental trading principle of "buy the dips in an uptrend", "sell the rallies in a downtrend", look for a suitable entry point.

In the example given above you would look for an opportunity to buy the EUR/USD, perhaps watching for a candle signal that price has exhausted it's downward momentum, bucking the 15 minute chart 200 EMA and will soon resume it's upward momentum.

This is an easy exercise and it can be done once or twice a day, taking just a few minutes.

Watch For Price Bucking The Trend

Once you see price bucking the 200 EMA on the 15 minute chart, whereas it is on the opposite side on the 4 hour and 1 hour charts, sit up and take note. Watch carefully and grab the opportunity to get in and make some pips.

After a little practice you will see how extremely powerful this simple Forex strategy is - certainly deserving a place in your trading tool kit.

Please let me know what you think

Regards

Shawn
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hi everybody
I'm a ernergy analyst in China . Now ,I 'm interest in forex .I wish I chould learn some knowledge from here .Also I wish get new friend .

Hi Guys,
Am new to FOREX, infact i just funded an account 3 days ago. I've been reading a number of books on Techical Analysis and stuff and was advised that this has to be supplemented with opinions from people who have been-there, seen-it-all, and are still on their feet to tell the story. This is the first forum and i hope to 'think' like you guys and eventully post some of my trades with time. Incidentally i am based in UGANDA.
ERIC

Hello!

Looking forward to reading about your experiences with different trading firms etc.

Thanks
Charlie

Just looking. Don't really have much time to be working hard to invest sensibly and wanted to get some good tips. I have a liyyle spare money and wany to make more than the currently available 5-6% sites are odffering. Any tips would be welcome.

Hi Trade2Win!

My name is Joe Galligher and I'm going to have a go at trading the forex market.
From what I can see this is the place to be to learn from others.

Try Bet On Markets before you use leveraged forex even Binary bets are good to
begin. Good Luck From lilli2

Hai,
Greetings everybody. I joined today.
I am reading many e books , articles on Forex.
But this type of forum is new and a welcomed one.
I feel we can learn a lot and implement and share the ideas.
I would like to know the best investment sites for gas/ oil trading.?

Fresh like a hot summer breeze!

Hi,

I am graduating from the university of York next year and have decided to become a trader. I have only applied for Tibra so far, I have a maths and logic test coming up with them soon, any tips?

Thank you