Sticky Introduce Yourself

Hello, I'm Malc and, er, I've just got into trading. It's been a long time since I was away from the world of the stock market which I was active in during the '90s.

In those days I used to use MetaStock and had their first attempt at a Windows platform rather than their DOS based affair. Now if anyone remembers the 90s or has been bequeathed a pile of Investor's Chronicles from that time then look up in the back adverts and you will see an advert for Smith & Hodgson Limited selling data for Metastock. That was my mate and I.

That took a number of years of trying to explain to the stock market what a small investor was (no, they had no idea) and that the average small investor wouldn't want to pay £6,000 a year in licence fees to them for the data. Anyway, many moons of wrangling and they agreed to let us sell data on and Smith & Hodgson was formed.

It was doing alright, even getting the odd glowing review in IC when two things happened. The first is that Ted died and the second is that ESI came along and took over the market. But, hey, we were the first!

Anyway, things happened and one thing and another and I slowly drifted away from the stock market even though I do remember going to the launch party of ShareScope and if anyone from Inonic is reading I have to declare that the stain on the carpet was perhaps not me.

I drifted off into horse racing where I make most of my income now. If that has taught me one thing is that it's all about discipline and money management. Anyway, I've been backing horses and selling ratings for over a decade and things are ticking over nicely and I am living happily in North Wales.

Then an inheritance came along. Well, I would have preferred to have had the house but, of course, in today's caring sharing society I had to sell it at rock bottom price to pay for my mother's stay at the care home and I was left with the loose change.

So, what do? Well, the obvious route was to return to investment. I dusted off my old books and re-read them from cover to cover starting with Jim Slater's Zulu Principle. I read some other books on trading that I had purchased in the meantime (I tried my hand at the pre-race markets on Betfair) and just kept on reading.

A lot went into premium bonds and a pile went into ISAs which are doing fine and heading in the right direction and it was when I wanted to get some shares into the ISA and was blocked because they were on the AIM or whatever that I wanted to look elsewhere.

And I found spread betting. For anyone used to Betfair it's very similar except that the markets, even the more frantic ones, are no-where as mad as the pre-race markets. So this was ideal. I inhaled a lot of Malcolm Pryor's books, made charts and then went in.

My first broker was IG and the first thing that I noticed is that the spreads were horrendous. When I wanted to go long on some I couldn't and the same when I wanted to go short. I've got some positions and they are climbing the right way but they have been hampered by a spreads as wide as the Grand Canyon.

So, I opened an account with Tradefair and the spreads are so much tighter. Armed with printouts and stuff from ShareScope I found that it was easier to make something on there than on IG. And I managed to sell something short that didn't have me calling a dealer up.

I will let me positions ride on IG, moving up the stops when it's appropriate and then when the whole lot is cleared, or they expire (I won't renew these in June or September) then I will transfer them over to other brokers.

Anyway, a bit of a long introduction. I really just wanted to say how much things have improved since the 90s when we have the world wide webs rather than to use CompuServe forums to shout at Metastock support. How much easier is it now to have real tme graphs than what we had then.

Apologies for the ramble; just be thankful that you never caught me at the other end of this 'ere bottle of rouge.

Hi Malcolm,

I wish to begin trading using spread betting very soon.

I would like to know from you -
1. What exactly do you trade using spreadbetting - forex, commodity or stocks?
2. Can i execute limit orders specifying the price at which i want to buy instead of just buying at their market quoted spread ?
3. Do they provide ''take profit'' option?

Cheers
Bharath

hi trade 2 win members.
i m nw to this market it's very hard to earn money
I lost my money in this commodity market so I decided to do trading with technical and fundamentaly so I request to all trade 2 win members help me I hope will do needful
thanking u all

Hi Malcolm,

I wish to begin trading using spread betting very soon.

I would like to know from you -
1. What exactly do you trade using spreadbetting - forex, commodity or stocks?
2. Can i execute limit orders specifying the price at which i want to buy instead of just buying at their market quoted spread ?
3. Do they provide ''take profit'' option?

Cheers
Bharath

Good morning, at the moment I am just doing stocks. I have looked at the indexes and that looks like excactly what I don't want to touch -- if I want to spend the day in front of the screen then that's where I will go.

But I would rather do other things in my time and so my trades are set up for a longer timescale (unless they get stopped out). So, for me it's just stocks.

Your second queston; I expect that most SB bookmakers do that; SpreadFair appear to do that.

As for the last question, I have no idea as I would rather get out on my own signal or when the stop is breached. The best thing to do would be to contact them directly.

- Malc

Good morning, at the moment I am just doing stocks. I have looked at the indexes and that looks like excactly what I don't want to touch -- if I want to spend the day in front of the screen then that's where I will go.

But I would rather do other things in my time and so my trades are set up for a longer timescale (unless they get stopped out). So, for me it's just stocks.

Your second queston; I expect that most SB bookmakers do that; SpreadFair appear to do that.

As for the last question, I have no idea as I would rather get out on my own signal or when the stop is breached. The best thing to do would be to contact them directly.

- Malc

Thanks Malcolm.

Hi Traders,
I am just done with my FX classes and just started trading.
Have a good number of friends here already....but am still a newbie..

Dameon

Hi Everyone,
I have just retired as a CPA for 49 years, and will be selling short strangle futures options far OTM for a living. Am interested in anyone who has mastered aggregate portfolio risk control using position greeks.

Hi everybody,

I had been watching and reading through the threads and different strategies from trade2win forum and now it was good that decided to be a member and enjoy the stay in the forum. I like price action trading, am basically a day trader.

Hi, hello everyone,
I am here as part of my research and reading before I take my first steps into the world of Forex trading. Looking forward to hearing how you all get on whilst learning the basics.
Regards.

Yes, pink diamonds are very hot right now especially in Asia. :) I invested in January and so far, so good. I am very happy with the result. Best of all, my wife can wear it, I don't need a bank or a safe to hide it. :) What about you, what do you do if you don't mind me asking. Cheers.

Dont mind you asking. Started out mid-90's doing websites (good old html!), then hosting, more emphasis these days on marketing using google strategies, so I'm more of a digital marketing consultant then web coder. Also have some property BTL and of course learning to trade, and part time trading - keeps me busy :D

Cool. I'm no good when it comes to technology while my 10 year old son is already learning to do photoshop! haha. What are you trading at the moment?

Hello, here to learn what I can to possibly keep me going. Health issue may force me to stop working,want to learn what I can to keep me afloat. Nice meet everyone, any information that your welling to share would be wonderful. Thank you for your time.

Hello. I am new on this forum. I have been trading for 8 months now. I use metatrader 4 and mainly trade Price Action Binary Options.

I am from New York and am ready to see what I can learn!

Hello everyone,
I am a 6 months in binary options, trading part-time with unsuccessful result record. I joined this forum to solicit everyone's expertise dealing in binary options. I would be grateful if anyone could part any of their successful strategy or system trading binary options.
Thank you,
ianmae

Hi All. I am new to this site and ready to put up some of my random thoughts on forex and would love to receive replies from you guys. NordFX, as a online forex brokerage firm not only serves people with an platform to trade but also offers round the clock customer support services by which clients would never feel lost in an island of forex trading market.

Hi everyone . I am an economics student and want to learn every thing that there is to learn about the markets.

Forex Trading is nothing but the exchange of currencies in the foreign exchange market. This trading is done through a broker. Once you select a currency pair which you want to trade, you can place a trade for it with the support services of the brokerage house accordingly.

We NordFX, as one of the online brokerage house serve our clients an platform to trade with the 24x7 customer support services.

Hi guys,

Im Lorcan, Im Irish but I'm currently living in the Philippines studying to be a day trader. I would welcome any help or advice to make me a better more successful trader, and i look foward to reading your posts.