Interviews, no jobs, unpaid internship?

PeteyG

Hi Guys,

Like many out there, I am looking for jobs in trading but just finishing college. I have had a number of interviews and usually reach the 2nd or 3rd rounds but unfortunately fall thereafter.

My background is in maths and economics but the reason tends to be that I don't have C++, Java etc. Feedback tends to be that I give a strong interview and complete tasks and assessments very well but that they don't have time to train me without the necessary programming skills with budgets being so tight. Other final round candidates tend to have these programming skills along with a masters/Phd or top tier college behind them but I am gaining experience in interviews. That said I do have programming skills in Stata and R but does not seem to make a difference, rant over.

Anyway, applying for a masters but have an interview for a boutique tradingfirm, 3/4 month internship, but unpaid. Job description is:

"Interns do what ever needs to be done in the office from trading floor responsibilities and errands to administrative jobs. An internship will give you a broad understanding of the various aspects of the trading floor and the industry"

What do you guys think? At the moment I am going on any experience is beneficial and to keep the CV ticking over. The only people I have seen from my year getting jobs are the accountants and from digging around, an unpaid internship is the only likely option for the Summer.

Thanks for the help.

Hello PeteyG,

Though I don't work as a trader (personal aim is to trade but currently stuck in rutt as a broker)

Seens like you ve got your head screwed on, I would be dubious though about unpaid 3/4 internship not even covering your travel costs. The thing is your doing it unpaid to get experience to be a trader? :confused: Then if your doing other sh*t to keep them happy. You have to make sure your getting the experience to fluff up the CV and make you employable. i.e. a few hours a week shadowing. ...Some time being shown R:R styles or managing your PnL.

I'm in a similar prediciment mate, a good friend has just started at Schnieder, doing their grad scheme. It's unpaid but its a mixture of classroom based theory and some simulated trading etc. He is loving it but it seems survival of the fittest.

Therefore if your willing to do the unpaid thing check other options, before you regret it.

Good luck though, someone has to make it as a trader!!

Joe

:cheesy:

Why is that Java or C++ stuff so important to them? I've done a few job interviews to get a job as a trader and they didn't demand any knowledge of C++ or Java (or ...).

Why is that Java or C++ stuff so important to them? I've done a few job interviews to get a job as a trader and they didn't demand any knowledge of C++ or Java (or ...).

Java, C++, they are only programming languages, any fool can learn to program. Download any free compilers you an get and spend time learning about these things that seem to be important to your potential employers. At least so you can speak knowledgeably about them. I've never had any formal training in C , C++ but I have taken the time to teach myself what I need to know with regards to my job, which, BTW is in engineering not trading.

Hi Guys,

Like many out there, I am looking for jobs in trading but just finishing college. I have had a number of interviews and usually reach the 2nd or 3rd rounds but unfortunately fall thereafter.

My background is in maths and economics but the reason tends to be that I don't have C++, Java etc. Feedback tends to be that I give a strong interview and complete tasks and assessments very well but that they don't have time to train me without the necessary programming skills with budgets being so tight. Other final round candidates tend to have these programming skills along with a masters/Phd or top tier college behind them but I am gaining experience in interviews. That said I do have programming skills in Stata and R but does not seem to make a difference, rant over.

Anyway, applying for a masters but have an interview for a boutique tradingfirm, 3/4 month internship, but unpaid. Job description is:

"Interns do what ever needs to be done in the office from trading floor responsibilities and errands to administrative jobs. An internship will give you a broad understanding of the various aspects of the trading floor and the industry"

What do you guys think? At the moment I am going on any experience is beneficial and to keep the CV ticking over. The only people I have seen from my year getting jobs are the accountants and from digging around, an unpaid internship is the only likely option for the Summer.

Thanks for the help.
I would take the internship regardless of the fact they dont pay your travel - It will look very good on your C.V and as it is such a competative arena you want to enter you need any edge that you can get - learn Java in your spare time - you need to do what ever is required of you - best of luck.

I suggest that you pass......

If they are unwilling to look after you..... bucketshop...

I think best choice is a reputable firm that can afford to pay its employees......

Obviously this outfit has no cash to cover expenses......

I suggest that you pass......

If they are unwilling to look after you..... bucketshop...

I think best choice is a reputable firm that can afford to pay its employees......

Obviously this outfit has no cash to cover expenses......

Why should they pay you ? - they are doing you a favour.. you think they really need someone to get them a cup of tea etc which is pretty much all an intern is really capable of. You get to sit on a trading desk and ask questions and hopefully learn a thing or 2..and it looks good on your c.v. - I have known loads of people who started as un paid interns and gone on to do very well. - it shows you are serious and interested in trading and it will set you apart from future canditates in what I can promise you will be a very competitive employment enviroment - Life is like trading and you have to exploit any edge you can find.