Best Thread Interactive Brokers

The value we expect to offer you and the rest of our clients will come down to preceived v. actual value. Hence, if your preceived value meets our expected value, then we will be rewarded by earning your business.

Can anyone explain what this means? Apart from anything else, I'm struggling with the word 'preceived'.

Consumers consider/choose a service or a product that they perceive (def. regard as being such) what that particular service or product should deliver in order to meet their particular needs. Only after careful consideration (i.e, through a trail or purchase) of a particular product or service does a consumer realize if the product or service meets or exceeds their needs which is called actual value. If so, the consumer/client can conclude they have realized real value.

In essence we believe our online brokerage services and technology far exceeds our clients needs. Moreover, considering the low brokerage fees we charge we believe we are an overall bargain, although we leave it for the client to determine.

Can anyone explain what this means? Apart from anything else, I'm struggling with the word 'preceived'.

Last edited:
Thank you Interactive Brokers rep for responding. As your position is understandably biased towards IB, I was rather looking for "unbiased" comments from current or former clients of Interactive Brokers. If I am out of line asking for this type of feedback in this forum or newsgroup, perhaps someone could suggest another source for excellent advice. I have looked at the Elite Trader website and they provide pretty feedback good info, both for and against IB (mostly for). I was impressed with the advice on trade2win and was hoping for some old hands to comment on the firm.

Thank you Interactive Brokers rep for responding. As your position is understandably biased towards IB, I was rather looking for "unbiased" comments from current or former clients of Interactive Brokers. If I am out of line asking for this type of feedback in this forum or newsgroup, perhaps someone could suggest another source for excellent advice. I have looked at the Elite Trader website and they provide pretty feedback good info, both for and against IB (mostly for). I was impressed with the advice on trade2win and was hoping for some old hands to comment on the firm.

I have found IB wallows in bureaucracy, compared to some competing firms that have a keener desire for your business.

Another bad point is email - they are slow to respond.
Some firms reply same day, same hour, with IB I found I would often have to wait a day or more.
Plus you get that annoying "pass the parcel" effect where you end up dealing with a number of different people as time slips annoyingly by.

It is to be expected that IB's agents will not be able to perceive these faults and will resort to fancy language to try to defend what are really quite simple, obvious deficiencies.
After all, it is far easier to play word games than it is to actually fix these problems.

So I am disappointed, I had heard good things and was initially very positive about IB, but after a short while I recognized the big company bureaucracy at work and so I went to another broker.

IB could do better and if IB is not aware of it, or does not care, well that gives you your best guide.

I am actually very happy with IB and I have been with a number or brokers.
I found their online customer service excellent and fast. It was only when I raised my query or email to the wrong area that I would be passed to another area, the query would still get sorted quickly.

It is to be expected that IB's agents will not be able to perceive these faults and will resort to fancy language to try to defend what are really quite simple, obvious deficiencies.
After all, it is far easier to play word games than it is to actually fix these problems..

As demonstrated by the gobbledegook posted here earlier, IMO.

IB Typical Spreads

Can anyone confirm where I can find info on the typical spreads of the FX major pairs at market price execution or indices for that matter.

Cheers
Shaun

... typical spreads of the FX major pairs ...

Unless somebody has written a program to collect the data over time and average the figures I doubt if you will get a useful answer. They bounce around quite a bit. For example GBP.USD sometimes goes as low as 1/2 pip but is usually 1.5 wide. Because the price quotes from the liquidity providers are 1/2 pip multiples you will sometimes see better and sometimes worse spreads on IB compared to other platforms (where the prices are 1/10'th multiples).

Hi there.
Yesterday afternoon a friend of mine came to my office and told me that some friends fund`s had been frozen with their brocker. Have someone heard these kind of things?, lets say i want to make a withdrawal next week, will i find my funds frozen?. My account is at UK, it does not have so much deposits, most of it are profits.

I've had a look around the bewildering IB site and could not find margin requirements for trading UK stocks and therefore the gearing ratio. Neither could the IB rep when I spoke to her. Anybody any idea?

IB seem to offer CFD's on Aussie exchange. Is this right and can one deal in UK Stock CFD's?

Last edited:
I didn't say I couldn't work out how to place a trade with TWS, but the whole platform seems cumbersome, slow and messy. Likewise, the web site(s). Are you saying this is a good thing? And why should you have to pay extra for a third party platform when you can get something that works properly for free elsewhere?

Apart from reasonable commission rates and range of markets, what are IB's good attributes?

OMG are you that lazy you cant open FX Trader or Book trader.

I see a lot of posters who are either to dumb to to trade with IB or to damn lazy to learn how to use it.

Did you not fully understand the application form? IB make very clear about the personal requirements the like to see all new applicants have in regards to knowledge and experience.

Watch a webinar Jack, who knows you may learn something.

It took me 3 days to get on top of it. Now I live on book trader.....

IB is the best broker I have traded with

Last edited:
Sorry if my question sounds silly but I am trying to open an IB account here for US equity trading(PDT).

My requirements are :
1> Ability to execute my trading command for US equity(PDT) .
2> I need to short equity. So I presume I need an margin account from IB.
3> I don't need IB data feed & charting package(I presume they are not free?) as I am using 3rd party data feed & charting software.
4> I understand there is a $25000 requirement for PDT, but I am based in UK, so is it better to convert my GBP into US dollar and then put the deposit or I can simply put the equivalent of GPB when I open the IB account?

My question:
What sort of IB account(s) do I need to open to meet my requirements above?

Many Thanks
Steve

Time and Sales discrepancy with IB Trade

Here is record of a trade taken this morning and the time and sales from IB.

There is no record for fill of the stop in time and sales. In fact the low for the time period is 2894, 2 ticks above the stop price.

09:00:01 BUY ESTX50 1 2899
09:01:05 SELL ESTX50 1 2892

For the subseqent few minutes the price never hit 2892 and proceeded higher.

Attachments

• time and sales.avi_000001505.jpg
    time and sales.avi_000001505.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 306
Last edited: