Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Charlton said:
notouch

It looks like Christmas is coming early. It looks like its very soon. The release notes

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/releaseNotes/Notes_Index.php?ib_entity=uk

are dated today and the seminar is on the 15th, but perhaps IB can enlighten us

Charlton

We will be releasing our new Forex Trader this week!

In summary, quotes are displayed in individual cells which you can configure by clicking the configure icon on the toolbar and selecting FX Price Display in the left pane. Each cell shows working orders for that contract, and tells you if there is the possibility of price improvement by displaying a book icon next to the bid or ask price (see example in the bottom left cell, EUR/GBP above). You can display market data for other instruments as well, and you can drag an instrument from the FX Trader interface directly into the trading window. You can quickly invert the display by clicking the double green arrows at the top left corner of a cell. Inverted displays are identified by an asterisk after the title, and a blue "inverted" icon in place of the green double arrows. Submit an order by clicking the desired price. The order displays in the cell and on the Orders tab at the top of the page. Modify order parameters if desired and click Transmit, or check the Instantaneous Transmit checkbox to have the order automatically transmitted when you click a price.

Our quotes will range from .5 to 3 pips wide.

Clients also can use our FX Trader to trade other products eg futures, shares and options. Your choice on what trading environment you use.

Looks strangely similar to the MB Trading FX platform :eek: but that's good because I'm used to it. The other improvements sound good to (auto transmit close position, auto reverse - both good for scalpers). The new browser based version is there so hopefully the software based TWS will be put up soon.

Hi all!

Where can I find info concerning opening an account with IB and money funding? Info on the site is not really informative.

Thanks

cabum said:
Hi all!

Where can I find info concerning opening an account with IB and money funding? Info on the site is not really informative.

Thanks

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/individuals/individualMain.php?ib_entity=uk
Press 'Start an account" and you get guided through the process. For margin accounts you need to do a sort of on-line exam to prove you know what you are doing and that you understand that whatever goes wrong with your trades it is all your problem not theirs! I think you can keep taking it until you pass.
You need $5000 min to open. If you have internet banking the easiest way to fund your a/c is to set it up with IB as one of your payees, then transfers are free. Don't forget to notify IB that a transfer is on its way through their 'account management' login. Takes 3 or 4 days this way. Can do it in 1 day if you ask your bank but they charge you around £30, from memory.

cabum said:
Hi all!

Thanks
Like other things in trading you need to work at it. Admittedly there are other broker sites where their trading platforms are a lot easier, but equally they are more restricted. Life, including trading life, teaches you that you have to gain experience and the more you are exposed to soemthing the more you learn about it and the less you fear it.

IB, compare to other brokers, is not easy. I would recommend that you paper trade through their simulated trading account for a while. Try different scenarios and you will soon learn which order types, setups and so on support your trading strategy.

IB has loads of learning material and webinars to start you off, but is is handy to try things out for yourself.

If this is too onerous for you then that is the time to rethink things

Treat this as a business and not an easy option

Charlton

Charlton said:
Like other things in trading you need to work at it. Admittedly there are other broker sites where their trading platforms are a lot easier, but equally they are more restricted. Life, including trading life, teaches you that you have to gain experience and the more you are exposed to soemthing the more you learn about it and the less you fear it.

IB, compare to other brokers, is not easy. I would recommend that you paper trade through their simulated trading account for a while. Try different scenarios and you will soon learn which order types, setups and so on support your trading strategy.

IB has loads of learning material and webinars to start you off, but is is handy to try things out for yourself.

If this is too onerous for you then that is the time to rethink things

Treat this as a business and not an easy option

Charlton

Good words. To be clear I'm really ready to work and have been from the beginning. Actually I've been papertrading with Thinkorswim for almost 6 months, but their comis rate is too high as for me and I switched to IB during the last month. And only now starting to get used to their platform (TOS platform is much easier to use). It seems to me IB can work good for me also. Of course I need to check it first and I'm papertrading with it right now. Can I ask you whether you are trading and what if answer is yes? I'd like to ask you a couple questions concerning IB, can I PM you?
My question I think is about money schemes in general and maybe I need to ask it somewhere else, but now I'm considering IB as my future broker so it would be great if IB's representative could give some info.
Thanks

peto said:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/individuals/individualMain.php?ib_entity=uk
Press 'Start an account" and you get guided through the process. For margin accounts you need to do a sort of on-line exam to prove you know what you are doing and that you understand that whatever goes wrong with your trades it is all your problem not theirs! I think you can keep taking it until you pass.
You need $5000 min to open. If you have internet banking the easiest way to fund your a/c is to set it up with IB as one of your payees, then transfers are free. Don't forget to notify IB that a transfer is on its way through their 'account management' login. Takes 3 or 4 days this way. Can do it in 1 day if you ask your bank but they charge you around £30, from memory.

Thanks Peto,

Step by step I will get it!

cabum said:
Good words. To be clear I'm really ready to work and have been from the beginning. Actually I've been papertrading with Thinkorswim for almost 6 months, but their comis rate is too high as for me and I switched to IB during the last month. And only now starting to get used to their platform (TOS platform is much easier to use). It seems to me IB can work good for me also. Of course I need to check it first and I'm papertrading with it right now. Can I ask you whether you are trading and what if answer is yes? I'd like to ask you a couple questions concerning IB, can I PM you?
My question I think is about money schemes in general and maybe I need to ask it somewhere else, but now I'm considering IB as my future broker so it would be great if IB's representative could give some info.
Thanks
Caburn

Let me make it absolutely clear. I am not IB's representative. I have no connection with IB whatsoever, other than the fact that I have an account with them and use TWS.

You should direct your questions to IB on this forum or via your account management function within their website.

Charlton

cabum said:
Thanks

Dear Prospect

If you require additional information or would like to a web demonstration of our system do not hesitate to contact our London office 020 7 776 7800 ext 1

Alternatively you can send an e-mail (internally) with your details through Trade2Win with your contact details and our representative will contact you.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Interactive Brokers said:
Dear Prospect

If you require additional information or would like to a web demonstration of our system do not hesitate to contact our London office 020 7 776 7800 ext 1

Alternatively you can send an e-mail (internally) with your details through Trade2Win with your contact details and our representative will contact you.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.
Could you please tell whether IB has some kind of "blacklist" of countries accounts from which you can't have deal with (like maybe some offshores whatever)? Like for example, Grenada or the Seychelles? Is it possible to find this out somehow? I'm not a resident of the US or UK.

On "Trading permissions" I've found the next:
"No shorting of stock and trading is only allowed for products denominated in the base currency of the account."
What does it mean? Does it mean that I can't short stocks?
Thanks

cabum said:
On "Trading permissions" I've found the next:
"No shorting of stock and trading is only allowed for products denominated in the base currency of the account."
What does it mean? Does it mean that I can't short stocks?
Thanks
You'd need a margin account. Much more flexible.

peto said:
You'd need a margin account. Much more flexible.

Do I need to specify somewhere whether I need a margin account? I thought any account supposed to be margin.

Yep, dunno where in the process though. Sounds like email IB time!

cabum said:
Thanks.
Could you please tell whether IB has some kind of "blacklist" of countries accounts from which you can't have deal with (like maybe some offshores whatever)? Like for example, Grenada or the Seychelles? Is it possible to find this out somehow? I'm not a resident of the US or UK.

Dear Prospective Client

We do accept clients from Grenada or the Seychelles.

notouch said:
Out now :cheesy:

Just tried the new "FXTrader" - it's actually quite good...

CTRL + left click on the bid or offer to enter the market
CTRL + "R" for fast reverse
etc.

The bizarre thing is that it's useless for FX! Position, AVG & real-time P&L don't work for FX and the portfolio screen shows nothing when you have new non home currency positions.

I think they misnamed it - it should be called "FuturesTrader" - if you enter YM, QM, 6B, etc. into the grid and trade futures then it all works fine (unless I'm missing something).

At least it's a step in the right direction...

c6