Best Thread Interactive Brokers

When you're obtaining data from the exchange, you have to assume the data is correct. In this case, the CME changed the information they send out data - namely they added spread volume. Our programmers are aware that there is a subset of clients unhappy that we do not filter spread volumes out and I provided a method for you to have your voice heard. I've now done a quick search and as of yet, this hasn't been added as a suggestion (Perhaps I should have pointed that out to you as well but the search features make that task fairly easy and I hope you can appreciate that those of us posting here are doing this on our own free time - which for me is hard to come by over weekends). In any event, if you do add the suggestion and other clients vote on it, it may help raise the priority.

def said:
When you're obtaining data from the exchange, you have to assume the data is correct. In this case, the CME changed the information they send out data - namely they added spread volume. Our programmers are aware that there is a subset of clients unhappy that we do not filter spread volumes out and I provided a method for you to have your voice heard. I've now done a quick search and as of yet, this hasn't been added as a suggestion (Perhaps I should have pointed that out to you as well but the search features make that task fairly easy and I hope you can appreciate that those of us posting here are doing this on our own free time - which for me is hard to come by over weekends). In any event, if you do add the suggestion and other clients vote on it, it may help raise the priority.

Again, "correct" is not the issue but rather that the definition of the data -- i.e., what "volume" is -- has been changed. This is why the IB reps and the customers who are dissatisfied have been and continue to speak at cross-purposes. Until someone at IB acknowledges this, a certain subset of customers will not be served. Perhaps a more honest response from IB might be "there just aren't enough of you".

As for "posting a suggestion" to the IB website, what is after all the point of all these posts here and elsewhere? Perhaps one of the IB reps who follow these boards and threads might think "Hm, a number of people seem to be concerned about this volume issue; perhaps we should send an email to our customers to find out just how much of an issue it is" rather than expect those who are dissatisfied to post something to the IB website which few people will ever see, the brokerage equivalent of the comment cards one finds in hotel rooms. If it seems not to be an issue of sufficient importance, then just say so and put it to rest.

No one is asking any IB employee to do any of this for free. It can be done during business hours under the aegis of IB. The point is not to settle the issue to everyone's satisfaction but to assure those IB customers who are unhappy that IB is listening to them and understands what they're talking about. As it is, IB instead keeps repeating that the data comes from CME and is accurate, which has little to do with the subject of the complaints. We understand that the data comes from CME. We understand that the data is accurate according to CME's definition of what it is that the data represents. We get it. Thank you.

IB,

Any reason you don't have NYBOT futures available through your platform...or do you and I've missed it?

Thanks, Jo'C

When trading forex in IdealPro, where are IB's servers located? I'm based in the UK but presumably the order would go directly to IB's US servers. Does anyone have a hostname or IP address I could ping to test latency between my computer and IB's IdealPro servers?

notouch said:
When trading forex in IdealPro, where are IB's servers located? I'm based in the UK but presumably the order would go directly to IB's US servers. Does anyone have a hostname or IP address I could ping to test latency between my computer and IB's IdealPro servers?

As a matter of security, we do not comment about our network configuration on a public forum. If you are a client contact the technical helpdesk for assistance.

Interactive Brokers said:
As a matter of security, we do not comment about our network configuration on a public forum. If you are a client contact the technical helpdesk for assistance.

I certainly don't want details of your network configuration, I just want to know whether my orders would go to the UK or the US, fairly innocuous information I would have thought. I'm not yet a client but this is one thing I'll be taking into account when deciding whether or not to open an IB account.

Sim Mode

I have recently opened an account with IB and need to establish if TWS has a simulation mode. Please advise.

Yes it does - they'll email you details when your funds have cleared in your account. If not, chase them up for it.

Can somebody please tell me the IB symbol for FTSE cash? I've searched many times on the symbol lookup...

Also, can an IB representative tell me if I need UK stocks trading permissions to receive this index, and Tick-LSE, Trin-LSE.

I've just subscribed to LSE non-pro level one for £10 per month to receive this data, it seems strange I may have to wait for two days to get it when I have no interest in trading stocks.

Thanks for any help, I would have gone direct with these queries, but the ticket system is down and chat help is not working for me.

IB Papertrading

myoung said:
I have recently opened an account with IB and need to establish if TWS has a simulation mode. Please advise.
myoung

You need to open a Paper Trading account as per the instructions on the following link:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/paperTrader.php?ib_entity=uk

As Jack O'Clubs said you will not be able to access this until your main account is approved and funded. The reason is that it inherits the same attributes as the main trading account including access to all of the market data, which in many cases is chargeable.

However in the meantime if you want to get used to TWS etc they also have a demo account:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/demo.php?ib_entity=uk

You can practice on 15 minute delayed data, but it might not include the particular markets you are interested in

Charlton

IB Communiqué - October 6, 2006

ISE Stock Exchange Midpoint Match

The International Securities Exchange (ISE) Stock Exchange, LLC now offers its Midpoint Match facility that allows US stock traders and investors to buy or sell at the average of the bid and ask price, instead of having to buy at a higher ask price and sell at a lower bid price. This unique matching platform is now available to IB customers and furthers the quest of professional traders and investors to minimize their trading costs. Customers choosing IB SmartRoutingSM will automatically be able to take advantage of Midpoint Match as an additional routing destination for price improvement. Over the coming weeks the ISE Stock Exchange will be increasing the number of stocks listed. .

New Products

We have recently added NYMEX physical energy futures, CME (Globex) Korean Won futures, CME (Globex) Chinese Renminbi futures, CFE BuyWrite Index futures, and Singapore Exchange FTSE/XINHUA China A50 futures. To view details on these new futures contracts and all our available products, see our Exchange Listings page.

In addition, the CFTC has recently approved the FTSE XINHUA China 25 Index and the Hang Seng China Enterprise Index for trading by US residents.

TWS Enhancements

Since we last spoke, we have introduced the following enhancements to the Trader Workstation:

- Several chart enhancements, including the addition of Fibonacci trend lines, and the ability to write and import your own chart indicator using Java.
- A new template to create Option/SSF combination orders.
- The ability to create multiple combination orders at the same time from the new "Multiple" combo tab on the Combination Composition box.
- Price histograms in BookTrader that show trading volume for the day at each price level.
- The ability to automatically attach an opposite side limit or market order to a combination order. This feature creates a new buy or sell combo order with the legs reversed.
Import market data from a formatted text file into ticker rows on a TWS trading page.
For details on these and all TWS upgrades, see our release notes.

TWS API (Application Program Interface)

We are constantly at work enhancing our TWS API technology, which allows you to:

- Rapidly place significant numbers of orders;
- Subscribe to market data, market depth, and the market scanner;
- Extract historical market data and trade data; and
- Create automated rule-based trading systems that take advantage of IB's high-speed order routing functionality and broad market depth.
- The APIs let you trade the same products you can trade using TWS, including stocks, options, futures, forex, and bonds, and support multiple programming languages, including DDE for Excel, Java, Visual - -- - Basic 6.0 and .NET for ActiveX, and C++.

The latest enhancements to our TWS API offerings include support for the following:

- Volatility Orders, which allow you to trade options based on volatility with automatic delta hedging;
- Historical data queries and scanner subscriptions that display in your Excel spreadsheet;
- Subscriptions to options market implied volatility and delta computations, and option model values;
- Bond trading;
- Multiple order types, including trailing stop limit orders;
- Financial Advisor account configuration and order allocation.
- For more information on these and other TWS API-supported features, see the API Release Notes and the API section of the TWS Users' Guide.

New Third-Party Educator Program

IB has just launched a new educator program, which allows third parties to offer their tutoring services to IB customers. We have categorized these services into five groups for easy viewing: Trading, Products, Trader Workstation, Industry, and Miscellaneous. We also provide IB customers with the ability to rate these services. All terms of engagement are between the third-party provider and the IB customer.

In addition, we have added new sorting and voting features to our third-party programming consultant, Commercial Tool third-party applications, and Freelance third-party application programs. To view the offerings, submit an application to offer services, or to vote, see the Third-Party Educator, Programming Consultants, Commercial Tools, and Freelance Tools pages.

New OCC and CDCC Threshold for Automatic Exercise

Effective with October expiration, the Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) and Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation (CDCC) will implement a change to the dollar threshold at which in-the-money customer equity options will be automatically exercised. Currently, equity options which are in-the-money at expiration by an amount equal to or greater than $0.25 per share are automatically exercised by the OCC and CDCC on behalf of Interactive Brokers unless contrary instructions are provided. Under the lower threshold customers no longer will need to submit to IB contrary exercise instructions on equity options that close in-the-money between $0.05 and $0.24 per share. If on the other hand, you wish to lapse an option position that is $0.05 or more per share in-the-money, a contrary instruction will be required. As of the October expiration and moving forward, this threshold is to be reduced to $0.05 per share.

Please note that this change does not impact the automatic exercise threshold at expiration for either index or currency options. In addition, this does not change the time frame or manner in which contrary exercise instructions (i.e. instructions not to exercise an option otherwise subject to this automatic exercise threshold) are to be provided to Interactive Brokers by the customer. A copy of the OCC Information Memo outlining this change is available at www.optionsclearing.com.

Options Intelligence Report and EFP Reminder

For those of you who haven't already read about our Options Intelligence Report and EFPs, we encourage you to find out more about two very important programs that IB launched earlier this year.

As most professional traders know, options market prices have built-in information which is not only useful to traders in the options marketplace, but also to traders in the stock and futures markets. Each hour starting at 12:00 until 16:00 ET, we post our Options Intelligence Report. This report shows the top twenty symbols for implied volatilities, volatility gainers, volumes leaders, volumes gainers, volatility losers, implied/historical volatility, put/call ratios, and call/put ratios, along with written commentary from our trading desks. As an IB customer, you also have the benefit of seeing these indicators and others in real-time, using our TWS Market Scanner window. Visit our Options Intelligence Report page to view hourly updates, and for more information on how to read the options report indicators.

Interest expense and interest income offsets can be the largest component of your trading costs. An Exchange for Physical (EFP) trade allows the swap of a long or short stock position for a Single Stock Future (SSF). SSFs have an interest rate built into their price that is determined competitively by numerous market participants, rather than a single broker. EFPs can save you financing costs on your long positions and increase the income earned on your short positions. IB makes it easy to compare interest saved and interest earned by displaying the EFP spread on an annualized basis net of dividends. For a detailed explanation of EFPs, click here.

2nd Annual IB Collegiate Trading Olympiad

Interactive Brokers is pleased to announce the 2nd annual Collegiate Trading Olympiad. Last year we gave away over $300,000. This year we plan to give away $400,000, and will consider all participants for employment opportunities at Interactive Brokers. IB started the trading Olympiad to highlight the growing importance of technology in trading and to encourage students to consider a career within the capital markets industry. The competition will begin in January and students who join will be required to design a program trading application in Excel, C++, Java, or Visual Basic. If you know of an undergraduate or graduate student who would be interested in participating in the Olympiad, please have them visit the IB Olympiad page.

For more details visit our website, www.interactivebrokers.co.uk or call our London office 020 7776 7800.

Last edited:
sean77 said:
Can somebody please tell me the IB symbol for FTSE cash? I've searched many times on the symbol lookup...

Also, can an IB representative tell me if I need UK stocks trading permissions to receive this index, and Tick-LSE, Trin-LSE.

I've just subscribed to LSE non-pro level one for £10 per month to receive this data, it seems strange I may have to wait for two days to get it when I have no interest in trading stocks.

Thanks for any help, I would have gone direct with these queries, but the ticket system is down and chat help is not working for me.

Z in our symbol database = FTSE future and index. Is the FTSE index what you are referring to, when you mean cash?

Thanks for the reply, yes, I mean the FTSE 100 index. I'm already using the future with no problem.

I've used Z as an index and it is about six points different from the actual FTSE index as updated on yahoo finance.

Sean77

The market data feed you recieve when you sign up to IB, comes directly from the exchange.

Z Index on your Trader Workstation is the actual live index FTSE price on Euronext LIFFE.

I am unsure what Yahoo.Finance offers viewers , e.g., delay quotes.

IB what is status of providing cfd trading?

I am interested in tradingUSA markets nasdaq 100.

Any progress to report on making available cfdtrading in said markets

T

tgora77 said:
I am interested in tradingUSA markets nasdaq 100.

Any progress to report on making available cfdtrading in said markets

T

-We offer access to NASDAQ shares.
-We ask $0.005 per share, via Smart Order Routing (all in).
-$5,000 minimum to open an account..
-$10 minimum brokerage fee per month.
-Market data varies per exchange, e.g., for US products and as an individual we ask $10 per month.

If you are not a client please send an e-mail to [email protected] denoting in the subject line In favour of CFD's. Then denote your name and any other comments in your e-mail, as we are collecting interest from all prospective clients to see if we have enough interest for CFD's.