Insider Information - Level playing field.

just as fascinating is how the supposed increased consumer confidence (best since 2003 apparently :LOL:) can lead to such a 'leg up' on the Dow. Who did they ask, 5 year old kids getting their Santa list in early?

Just another ploy in a long line to suck money into the pot....yesterday's news plastered everywhere was pension investments up whatever %.......it's just another step.....getting closer to the point where the smart money is going to start dumping all this crap.

:)

Just think of the market as moving from squeeze to squeeze causing the most pain to the most people... this was a great excuse to squeeze shorts

Next time I see something like that prior to an announcement, I will know its a one way bet.

RedGreenBen - do you think it is worth complaining about this to the SEC ?

Just another ploy in a long line to suck money into the pot....yesterday's news plastered everywhere was pension investments up whatever %.......it's just another step.....getting closer to the point where the smart money is going to start dumping all this crap.

:)

Give it another week or two until the media are all saying the Bull markets back. Normally a good indicator to sell.

Look at the point the media hype around the sell off reached it's peak....around the time the s&P reached about 670's

Give it another week or two until the media are all saying the Bull markets back. Normally a good indicator to sell.

Look at the point the media hype around the sell off reached it's peak....around the time the s&P reached about 670's

Fund managers have started putting their own money in the market now... can't be too long :)

Even the guy typing the information in for Reuters could probably make money on the information give it may take 5 / 10 seconds between when he inputs it and before it reaches the rest of the lemmings who may act on it.

Rather depends on what information you're talking about. For the bigger stuff that's not actually how it works (e.g. FOMC etc etc). They get a few mins to prepare their stuff, under an information blackout, locked in a dark room basically. Then the lines are all turned back on at the same time and off they go.

If course, they misprints make for interesting conditions. Those definitely fall under the category of 'things that make ya go hmmmm' sometimes.

But I'd be a bit careful about reading conspiracy into everything if I were you......

Next time I see something like that prior to an announcement, I will know its a one way bet.

RedGreenBen - do you think it is worth complaining about this to the SEC ?

:jester:

you'd have more joy out of the RSPCA

ukdt, please tell me you're not serious ?

I was half joking - but you never know the smallest bit of information can lead to something much bigger, particularly in this environment where they are trying to overcome recent incompetence around the securitisation and madoff scandals.

how about this one-someone anticipated a strong number. It had been thrown about in rumours all morning and then just pre-number someone thought sod it, i'll have a punt. Thin market conditions market goes bid, algo's follow the price action and the wave starts.

are you bitter because you lost money per chance.

Of course it couldn't have been that price was sitting at support, and people were covering/taking their positions before the news. No, that just makes sense.

Last edited:
That is one possible scenario. I prefer the insider trading one

Well I hacked off that they didn't do this a few hours earlier as I wouldn't have been closed out on my stops.

I'm also hacked off as I bought into the market minutes after the announcement. So on the upside I lost about 8 points. Had I have known that these dudes were insider trading I would have gone in much earlier.

you have no proof whatsoever of insider trading mate. get over yourself-you got it WRONG

It's a common theme on this forum,anything that happens that doesn't fit with a persons plan is seen as some dark force not just natural market participation.

Insider trading
Stop hunting

etc etc.

What if it was just people taking a considered risk and buying ahead of figure or people who were short locking in a profit before the figure.

Knowing what a figure is still doesn't mean that the rest of the market would react in the same way as you to it anyway.

You want people to simultaneously position themselves four hours before a figure comes out so that you don't get stopped out? lol

If you got stopped out you were wrong on that trade at that time.

I was short FTSE at 6500 but those insider trading *******s didn't start selling it until september 5 mins before Chicago PMI.

Price moves like that before news because of people pulling bids/offers and people trying to get flat - price can just as easily go the 'wrong' way before a figure. You'd do better to learn why things happen rather than delude yourself with idiotic stories of what you 'prefer' to believe.

Last edited:
It's a common theme on this forum,anything that happens that doesn't fit with a persons plan is seen as some dark force not just natural market participation.

Insider trading
Stop hunting

To be fair, it's a common theme everywhere. The amount of paranoid conspiracies I come up with if I don't regularly slap myself...

The thread was not supposed to be serious.....It was only encourage discussion and speculate on the reason for the incorrect trade.

I did not think for a minute that the losses were caused by the insider trading. Surely no one can be that naive. In fact my stop loss kicked to reduce my losses. There was nothing wrong with it as it did what it was supposed to do.

It would seem that most people on the board really want to point out peoples errors and get excited at peoples failures.